- Mock Question for UPSC Mains GS2
- Introduction (Origin)
- Mistakes and Self-Assessment Benchmarks (SAB)
Mock Question for UPSC Mains GS2
"Constitutionally, the American Senate is the more powerful than Indian Rajya Sabha"- Analyze. (150 words, 10 marks.)
“संवेधानिक रूप से अमरीकी सेनेट भारतीय राज्यसभा से ज्यादा शक्तिशाली है.” परिक्षण कीजिए.
GSM2 Syllabus Relevance: Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other countries.
There are three organs of government- judiciary, executive and legislature. (this is too long introduction)
- Both US and Indian constitution provide for bicameral legislature (द्वि-गृही धारासभा)- their lower houses are known as House of Representatives and Lok Sabha, whereas upper houses are known as Senate and Rajya Sabha respectively. OR
- In bicameral legislature, the upper house is setup to provide representation to the states and to prevent any hasty decisions by the lower house. In USA, the upper house of Congress is known as Senate, whereas in India such body is called Rajya Sabha.
Body#1: Upperhouse’s power against Lowerhouse
|US Senate||Indian Rajya Sabha|
|Joint sessions of upper and lower house only for ceremonial purpose for Presidential address. No voting is taken.||To resolve deadlock between two houses, joint session can be organized with voting provisions. Since Lok Sabha has more members than Rajya Sabha, Lok Sabha’s stand will prevail.|
|In Joint sessions of both houses, the chairman of Senate (Vice President of USA) will preside. It proves that even in symbolic gesture and protocol, the upper house is ranked higher than lower house.||The Speaker of Lok Sabha will preside.|
|Budget: finance bill, appropriation bill originate in the lower house but must be passed by Senate separately.||Rajya Sabha doesn’t have power to reject moneybill, at maximum it can delay the moneybill for 14 days.|
|2 members from each state x 50 = 100 members. No nominated members. Vice president gets tie breaker vote. So, executive can influence only 1 vote in the Rajya Sabha- that too only during the tie.||Rajya Sabha: states representation according to population, 12 nominated by the President. Vice president has tie-break vote. So, executive can influence total 13 votes.|
Body#2: Upperhouse’s power against Executive
|US Senate||Indian Rajya Sabha|
These many points more than sufficient. Let’s conclude
- (for 250 Words answer) American federalism is a result of the agreement among the states. Therefore, to provide adequate strength / effective checks and balances to the states against the Union Executive, their senate is given more powers than any upper house in the world -including Rajya Sabha of India. OR
- (for 150 words answer) Thus from the above features, it is evident that US Senate is much powerful than any upper house in the world -including the Rajya Sabha of India.
Mistakes and Self-Assessment Benchmarks (SAB)
|Introduction and Conclusion||0-1-2||
|Body||0 to 4 marks||
|Logical structure||-1 to 0||
|Concise expression||-1 to 0||
|Language||-1 to 0||
|Total Marks out of 10||0 to 6||
Visit Mrunal.org/Mains for more on UPSC Mains Answer-writing.
Leave a Reply