- History & Culture in News
- National Philosopher: Adi Shankaracharya
- Jyotiba Phule: 125th Birth Anniversary
- Komagta Maru: 102 years & Canadian Apology
- Nirankari sect
- Dead in News
- Books in New: Economy related
- Music Movies
- States in News
- Gujarat for GPSC
- Other States in News
So far, we’ve covered polity, environment, diplomacy, International relations related current affairs from May-2016, now comes history-art and culture, places and dead in news during that month.
History & Culture in News
Relevance: UPSC Prelim exam MCQs. Although, straight forward questions from following notes, are unlikely. You’ve to augment them with backend information of parallel historic people, places, event from the text-books.
National Philosopher: Adi Shankaracharya
- Born 11th May 788 AD, at Kaladi near Kochi, Kerala. Took Samadhi at the age of 33, at Kedar tirth.
- Father: Shivguru, Mother: Aryamba.
- He is associated with Maya Theory, Advaita Vedanata (Non-Dualism), Tarak Brahma
- He established four Math (Monastery) at Shingeri, Puri, Dwaraka and Badrinath– for propagation of Sanathana Dharma.
- His Books: Bhashya- commentaries on Gita and other texts; Prakaran Granths.
- Government wants to declare his birthday 11th May as National Philosopher’s day and Adi Sankaracharya as “National Philosopher”.
- But, Adi Shankaracharya was opposed to Buddhist philosophers. Therefore, theHindu columnists criticizing Modi for this idea.
Further Self-Study: NIOS Culture PDF, Chapter 8 on six schools of Indian Philosophy- page 117 onwards. Free Download
Jyotiba Phule: 125th DEATH Anniversary
Map is taken from same Tamilnadu Class-12 History Textbook
- Born in Mali caste in Satara, Maharastra on 11th April 1827. His family was in business of selling vegetables and flowers, hence the surname “Phule”.
- Founded- Satyasodhak samaj for 1. social service 2. spread of education among women and lower caste 3. widow remarriage
- He opened first girls’ school at Poona. (1851)
- Published: Tritiya Ratna, sarvajanik satyadharma, gulamgin etc.
- He was against casteism and Sanskritik Hinduism. He used symbol of Raja Bali as opposed to the Brahmins symbol of Rama.
- Why in news? 125th Anniversary in 2016. Maharashtra government to make a Rs.10 crore movie on his life.
Further Self-Study: Tamilnadu Class12 History book Ch.13. Free Download
Komagta Maru: 102 years & Canadian Apology
- 18th May 1914: Indian migrants, mostly Sikhs had boarded Japanese Ship Komagata Maru to reach Vancouver, Canada.
- But they were not allowed to land, when the ship returned to Calcutta but British forces opened fire killing 19 of them.
- 102 years of the Komagta Maru incident, the Canadian PM Justin Trudeau officially apologize for it in the Canadian Lok Sabha (House of Commons.)
- Founder: Dayal Das and his disciples Darbara Singh, Ratta Ji.
- They accept authority of a living Guru. [Other Sikh sects believe that after 10th Guru Gobind Singh- no more living Gurus, only Adi Granth Sahib ji is the eternal Guru of all Sikhs.]
- They believe god is formless (Nirankari)
- They disapprove militant brotherhood of Khalsa. They aim for standardized birth-death-marriage-rituals based on Sikh scripture, but free of cost.
- They advocate against meat, liquor and drugs.
Sant Nirankari Mission & Savinder Kaur
- It was Established in 1929 by Buta Singh, a member of Nirankari sect. It’s separate from the original Nirankari sect..
- Savinder Kaur becomes the first woman to head this sect/mission, after sudden death of her husband Baba Harvdev Singh in a plane crash in 2016.
History: misc days
|21st May 1991||Rajiv Gandhi Assassination Day.|
|9th May 1945||WW2-Victory day parade to commemorate Soviet Russia’s victory over Nazi Germany.|
Dead in News
|Alex Lowe and David Bridges|
- Famed American Mountaineers, who died in Avalanche in 1999 in Himalayas. Now their bodies found.
- Founding member of Bharatiya Jana Sangh, associated with Arya Samaj and RSS movement. Died in Delhi.
- Siwan Bureau chief of Hindustan Daily.
- Allegedly murdered by the goons of Shahabuddin- the ex-MP from Siwan
- Sahara Chief Subrato Roy got 4 weeks parole to attend ceremonies mother’s death.
- CM Akhilesh Yadav, Bollywood Star Amitabh and many other big-wigs came to attend.
Books in New: Economy related
Other books in news- May 2015
|Anand Teltumbde||Book Mahad: the making of the first dalit revolt.|
|Arjun Sumbramaniam||Book “India’s wars: A Military history from 1947 to 1971 “.|
|Dr. K.P.Mathur||Unseen Indira Gandhi- through her physician’s eyes .|
|IAS autobiography||Flying in high wings- S.K.Mishra. (IAS, Ex-UPSC chairman)|
|Indology||David Shulman won Israel price for research on India. He’ll donate the money to Palestinians.|
|Perumal Murugan||This controversial author’s Tamil novel on love, caste, intolerance has been translated in English – with title “Pyre”.|
- Movie directed by Tony D’Souza, this movie revolves around former Indian Cricket Captain Mohd. Azharuddin (played by Emran Hashmi) from Hyderabad and match fixing scandal.
|Salma Agha||Pakistan origin Bollywood singer, has sought OCI card.|
|AIB||AIB group’s Comedian Tanmay Bhat in trouble after creating a controversial spoof video on Lata Mangeshkar and Sachin Tendulkar.|
|Veerappan||Directed by Ram Gopal Varma, where Sandeep Bhardwaj plays role of the forest brigand and sandlewood smuggler Veerapan who operated in the jungles of Karnataka and Tamilnadu.|
|Zubin Mehta||Music director, and Conductor in Orchestra- turned 80 years old. Some demanding Bharat Ratna for him.|
|Redink Award||NDTV’s Ravish Kumar won Journalist of the year award.|
|Traffic||Movie about organ donation- how police creates a ‘green corridor’ to transport a donated heart to patient.|
|Mehul Kumar||Producer of noted bollywood movies such as Tiranga, Kohram, Krantiveer. He’s given 6 months imprisonment for a cheque bounce case in Gujarat.|
States in News
Gujarat Current Affairs: May-2016 for GPSC
- New Agro-Business policy launched (2016-21): firms will be given subsidy on capital investment, long term loans etc.
- Dahod: Here BJP President Amit Shah launched PM Ujjwal Yojana for LPG connection to BPL families.
- HRD Minister Shmriti Irani visited her adopted village Manghrol, in Anand district under Sansad Adarsh gram yojana.
- Bal Amritam and Mission Shakti campaigns launched to address malnutrition, iron-deficiency among women and children.
- Union transport and shipping ministry has given approval to construct sea link to Okha and Bet Dwarka in Devbhoomi Dwarka district.
- 181: Abhayam helpline number for women.
- Noted theatre and Gujarati film actor P.Kharsani died.
- Gujarat Cong.leader and Rajyasabha MP Praveen Rashtrpal died.
- Tripti Shah: Vadodara based women rights activist of “Sahiyar Stree Sangathan”. Died of lunch cancer.
- State government to bring ordinance to merge 15% NRI quota with 10% management quota. So, effective management quota will be 25%.Main reason: found that non-Gujaratis are getting more benefit out of the NRI quota than Gujaratis,. Esp. in Medical colleges.
- Sri Mast Ram Vinay Higher secondary school- it has lowest pass rate 19.27% in class10. This school is located in Utavali village, many students have to cross river each day to visit it.
- Gujarat university will provide grace marks and gap years to students pursuing Startup business, says VC MN Patel.
- Cultural Capital of Gujarat –Vadodara , didn’t get shortlisted in first round of Smart City project. So now VMC ordered all officers to wear t-shirts with smart city logo and use caller tunes – to create hype- to get Vadodara shortlisted as a smart city in second round of selection this year.
- Vadodara to launch first “Smart police station” in Bapod area.
- PM Modi’s mother Heeraben given “Nari Jagran Samman 2016”
- Amul Managing director R.S.Sodhi gets extortion call from Ravi Pujari gang for Rs.25 crores.
- Because of the low sex ratio among Patidar community, now they’ve begun marrying orphan women from other states, residing in the government shelter homes of Gujarat.
Other States in News
|Jammu & Kashmir|
- Superfast train launched to connect Banihal to Baramulla.
- Simhastha Kumbh at Ujjain. Three day Samajik Samrasta Snan- tribals and dalits invited.
- Nehru related topics deleted in the most of the new schooltext books. Indianexpress gone crazy over this story.
- Vigilance probe against CM for illegally felling trees for Kannaur International Airtport- which is a PPP model with 25% private stakes.
- Railway had sent Rs. 2cr bill for transporting water to Latur. But later with newspaper controversy, they took back the bill.
Next: Sport, Banking current affairs and BizGK from May-2016.