- Marks distribution (out of 362)
- % wise importance given to each topic
- Development,Policy-making,Administration,Yearbook etc
- Geography,environment and disaster Management
- Science and Tech
- Art,culture and sports
- People in News
- On the side note, here are the brief answers for the frequently asked questions:
Marks distribution (out of 362)
|Policy & Development||73|
|Geography & Environment||114|
|Art & Sports||38|
|People in news||16|
|Total||362 (I’ve counted optional questions)|
% wise importance given to each topic
|“Disputes between the- riparian states on sharing of river waters in post- Independence India are becoming increasingly complex.” Objectively analyse the major disputes in this connection, with special reference to the Southern States.||20|
|“Dalhousie’s predecessors had acted on the general principles of avoiding annexations, if these could be avoided. Dalhousie acted on the principles of annexation, if lie could do so legitimately. His annexations were both of war and peace.” Analyse.||12|
|Contributions of Latika Ghosh to the freedom struggle||2|
|Bhai Maharaj Singh as a freedom fighter||2|
|Critically examine the differing estimates for (i) poverty figures, and (ii) GDP growth data for April-June 2010, that have been in the news recently. In your view, what estimates are more reflective of the ground reality, and why?||20|
|Small-holder farms need to be strengthened to achieve national food security.” Do you agree with this assessment? Substantiate.||12|
|“Upliftment of the neglected sections of society will be best served with many more centers of the Indira Gandhi National Tribal University.” Expand on the assertion made.||12|
|Comment on the recommendations of the Wadhwa Commission on the Public Distribution System.||5|
|Comment on the salient features of the recent draft Model Real Estate (Regulation of Development) Act of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation of the Central Government.||12|
|Distinguish between the objectives, structure and functioning of the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan’ and the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti||12|
|With respect to Cooperative Societies what are the salient features of the 106th and 111th Constitutional Amendment Bills as at present?||12|
|What are the grounds of disqualification of a Member of Parliament from either House? Quote relevant provisions in your answer.||12|
|Legislative powers assigned to the Rajya Sabha under Art. 249 and Art. 312 of the Constitution||5|
|Bring out the powers and responsibilities attached to the office of the Speaker of the Lok Sabha.||12|
|How is disagreement between the Legislative Council and the Legislative Assembly of a State in passing of an ordinary Bill, resolved?||5|
Geography,environment and disaster Management
|(a) Comment on the spatial components in urban solid waste management in the country.||12|
|(b) Assess the contributions made by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) in agricultural development.||12|
|(c) List the .significant local storms of the hot-weather season in the country and bring out their socio-economic impact.||12|
|Bring out the salient features of the evolution and the current status of the ‘Bharat Stage’ vehicle emission norms in the country.||12|
|Transhumance in India||5|
|(c) Golden Revolution||5|
|(d) Sea-floor spreading||5|
|Causes for dominant dendritic pattern of drainage in the Gangetic plains||5|
|List any eight ‘Ramsar’ wetland sites located in India. What is the ‘Montreux Record’ and what Indian sites are included in this Record?||12|
|Are the ‘Dedicated Freight Corridor’ railway project and the ‘Golden Quadrilateral’ road project mutually complementary or competitive? Assess.||12|
|Comment on the recent HFC-23 emissions controversy that includes in its ambit some Indian companies.||5|
|What are the salient features of The National Oil Spill Disaster Contingency Plan?||5|
|(e) You arrive first at, the scene where a bus accident has just occurred. What emergency measures should you immediately and safely adopt?||5|
Science and Tech
|Frontogenesis and Frontolysis||2|
Art,culture and sports
|While bringing out their salient features, distinguish between either ‘Madhubani’ Art and ‘Manjusha’ Art or ‘Rajasthani’ schools of painting and the ‘Pahari’ school of Painting.||12|
|Distinguish between the following four literary awards:
(i) Jnanpith Award(ii) Sahitya Akademi Award(iii) Vyas Samman(iv) Sarastvati Summan
|“Cost-benefit analysis should not be the sole consideration, while deciding to host events like the Commonwealth Games.” Critically comment on this perspective.||12|
|Aerostat balloon (common wealth games)||2|
|After the September 1st changes, do you think that Unit Linked Insurance Plans (ULIPs) and Mutual Funds (MFs) are on a level playing field ? Substantiate your answer from the perspective of an ordinary investor.||12|
|What do you understand by ‘repo rate’ and ‘reverse repo rate’? What are the implications in raising these rates?||12|
|Bring out the sectoral and state-wise distribution patterns of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows into the country.||5|
|National Investment Fund||2|
|‘SwavaJamban’ Scheme (to promote New pension scheme)||2|
People in News
|(a) Divya Ajithkumar||2|
|(b) N.C. Saxena||2|
|(c) Islam A. Siddiqui||2|
|(d) Swarnalatha Cherukutty||2|
|(e) Nitin Nohria||2|
|(f) Deepak Mondal||2|
|(g) Gaurav Singh Saini||2|
|(h) Upendra Limaye||2|
1. No meaning is buying / reading that book of Spectrum related to Freedom fighters (Gandhi Nehru Tagore+150 others that we used to cram down)
2. No need to be scarred of that “History-Quotes” question (2009’s paper) no need to read extra reference books suggested by ‘eminent History-coaching class sirs’ to prepare for the ‘quotes’
3. Earlier UPSC used to ask 15 marks question for 150 words, now its 12 marks question for 150 words means you’ve to write more words to get same amount of marks.
4. There are no ’30 marks’ questions so earlier you could get more marks by preparing a few topics well but now since max mark for any question is 20, and majority of questions have 12 marks means you need to prepare a more topics to get same amount of marks.
5. Polity part was mostly from the ‘static portion’ so it doesn’t require much brain application or effort to get those 49 marks.
6. GS- 2009 mains showed that ‘hot’ topics should be neglected. (e.g. Much hype for Chandrayaan in 2009, but they did not ask a single question) We could have assumed that following similar pattern UPSC won’t ask anything from Common wealth games in 2010, but they did!(14 Marks)
7. It’s a good time for the Geography coaching classes to brainwash newcomers into believing that Geography as an optional subject tremendously helps in GS that’s why they mustn’t select any other optional subject! And all 700 vacancies of UPSC are going to be filled by Geography optional subject only.
8. Repo rate and reverse repo rate was easy to answer even for a school kid, had you read my blog-article series on Economy for newbies!
9. Some people might put same question in different category (e.g. National investment fund is both economy and Policy question)
10. I might have made some mistake in calculations and typing.
On the side note, here are the brief answers for the frequently asked questions:
- In the time of uncertainty and misinformation, the crooks try to make quick bucks by fooling newcomers. CSAT is providing that excellent-opportunity. So if someone is ‘claiming’ that he can provide you sure-shot books, material and coaching for CSAT prepared by the ‘experts’, his claims are as true as those fairness creams. Any swinging dude can repack the material & coaching from CAT, MAT,GMAT, Bank exams etc. and make tall claims to sell his ‘exclusive-CSAT study products’. Give a thorough thought before investing your time and money in such things. Because it is an unwritten rule of UPSC business – not to sell any book for less than 150/-, or postal material for less than 3,000/- or coaching for less than 20,000/- Rs. And not to give any refund later on.
- CSAT has made NO change in the trial or age limit for any category.
- Success is possible without going to expensive coaching classes of Delhi.
- Life does not and must not end with a failure in civil service exam
The pertaining to “Booklists and strategy for each optional subject is given in this pdf file” is broken.
Mrunal Sir ! I ‘ve almost same interest in both the optional subjects POITICAL SCIENCE AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS and second is PUBLIC AMINISTRATION, being an Engineering guy which one is more scoring and easy to learn relatively with well defined syllabus, also tell me which one cosists ENOUGH STANDARD PREPRATION MATERIAL IN HINDI ?? TELL ME ALSO CHANCE OF SUCCESS IN THESE SUBJECTS ,PLZ SIR?? THNX IN ADVANCE..:)