- Structure of APFC written exam
- Part A: English: Topicwise Breakup
- How to approach the English Section of APFC Exam?
- Sentence Correction
- Vocabulary: Synonyms, Antonym and Idioms
- Expanding Vocabulary through Newspaper reading
- Where to get practice for English section of APFC exam?
- Booklist for APFC Exam (English Section)
So far in the APFC series, I had written about
Go to the Archive page https://mrunal.org/apfc in case you missed anything.
Now thanks to the question papers provided by Mr.CSL180, here is the updated strategy/studyplan/booklist for approaching Part A (English) of APFC Question paper.
Structure of APFC written exam
- The paper contains 120 questions, and has negative marking (-0.33) for incorrect answers.
Part A: English: Topicwise Breakup
|APFC Exam||Number of Questions
asked in Each Year
|Types of Questions||2002||2004|
|Fill in the blanks (grammar)||2||0|
|Match words with Meanings||5||0|
- English portion is minimum system requirement. Because there will be many candidates who can tick in the range of 25-28 answers correctly. So if you’re awesome in English, that won’t make you a winner but it’ll definitely save you from failing.
- Donot be overconfident about English section ki “Mujhe toh English aataa hai” because In the questions of sentence correction / fill in the blanks, sometimes we feel our answer is right according to the day to day real-life English, it be may not correct according to the actual rules of grammar and vocabulary. And they’ve negative marking system.
- if you’re from Non-English / Hindi/ Gujarati /Marathi etc medium, donot feel inferior. It is never too late or never too difficult, to master English for competitive exams.
Some people think:
I’m not good
inat English, so I’ll just ignore that section and concentrate more on General studies (GS) and Aptitude topics.
^it is again a wrong approach, because there will be some really serious players who’re masters of both Part A (English) and Part B (GS+Aptitude). So instead of running away from your fear (English) you must face it.
How to approach the English Section of APFC Exam?
- For Sentence correction and fill in the blanks questions, you must know the rules of grammar.
- Tata-Macgrawhill Publication has a really good book “Compulsory English For Civil And Judicial Services By A. P. Bhardwaj” covering the topics in a lucid manner.
- If you donot have the time or money to buy this separate book, you may consult the IBPS Manual of either Arihant or Disha Publication.
- (ya some people would say for grammar consult Wren and Martin, I think that’d be an overkill)
Vocabulary: Synonyms, Antonym and Idioms
- For Synonyms, Antonym and Idioms: You’ll get list in the same AP Bhardwaj / IBPS manuals but know that such lists are never complete. So use google search to get as many words as you can.
- To deal with Synonyms and Antonyms, you must have a large vocabulary; so for time pass you may use a book Word Power by Norman Lewis. It is not that you’ll get direct questions from it, but it’ll definitely improve your vocabulary and the way you look at words.
- Donot get demotivated by the size of his book, just try to do 4-5 chapters per day and you’ll be done in no time. Also force your younger brothers and sisters to read this book. Because English is essential for everyone irrespective of his career ambition.
Expanding Vocabulary through Newspaper reading
- You must read either The Hindu or Indian Express for APFC exam (for GS and Current Affairs), so whenever you read it, note down the difficult words in a diary. Install a freeware called “Wordweb” in your computer and then check the meaning of those words and write the answers in the same diary. Keep revising it every 15-30 days. [There is no need to buy a dictionary]
- Reading comprehension requires practice. You’ll get it in the same IBPS manuals / you can download the Compulsory English papers for UPSC Mains exam from my site.
Where to get practice for English section of APFC exam?
- In the questions of sentence correction / fill in the blanks, sometimes we feel our answer is right according to the day to day English we use in real life, BUT it be may not correct according to the actual rules of grammar and vocabulary.
- Therefore you must practice as many questions as you can, otherwise you’ll get trapped in the negative marking.
- Similarly Reading comprehension too demands practice else you’ll end up wasting many minutes reading a stupid paragraph.
- Plenty of mock question papers for IBPS (Bank PO), GMAT, CAT available online and on pagalguy forum. Use their verbal ability section. Whenever you get fed up and bored reading GK and current affairs, switch to practicing such questions on English.
To sum up,
Booklist for APFC Exam (English Section)
- The Hindu OR Indian Express (MUST, No excuse.)
- A diary / notebook to note down the difficult words from newspapers (MUST, No Excuse.)
- Wordweb software (MUST, No Excuse.) (Note- softpedia page says “Demo” but Demo runs for infinite time so you don’t have to buy it.)
- Compulsory English by AP Bhardwaj (TMH Publication) OR IBPS Manual of Disha/Arihant Publication. (ofcourse there are many other decent books for English grammar, so if you already have any other good book, donot hesitate from using it.)
- Wordpower made easy by Norman Lewis (optional but recommended)
Buying more books won’t serve any purpose unless you’re going to read them atleast twice before the exam and solve all the mock questions given in them.
hello sir, how to download the demo version of wordweb….
Could you please tell (any idea of) how much time upsc might take to publish apfc 2012 results, conduct interview and give final selection list.
How much time did they take in 2004 and 2002.
Do they add written and interview marks to prepare final list.
This website is not just good rather its awesome.Mrunal your altruistic effort is commendable.Don’t mind but I want to know why are you doing so much for others.Asking it because of curiosity.Generally, we don’t find such an effort in this world
Sir Please suggest any other book for compulsory english as the book u suggested Compulsory English For Civil And Judicial Services by A. P. Bhardwaj is out of print and is not available on any of the websites…..
please help me ….. i have apply for the post APFC …. and i dont no exam syllabus…. this my first time… plz tell me which type of book i can use….
Sir,please provide me previous paper of APFC. I tried to download papers of the year 2002 and 2004 as given in the link but i was not able to download it.please send them in id firstname.lastname@example.org as attachment.
sir plzz send me apfc exam last 2,3 year previous queastion paper…in hindi..
both english nd g.s plzz sir
Pls help me how to approach english part in APFC exam……also pls provide me previous papers….
thank u sir/madam,
Sir can u tell can predict when APFC exam will conduct
Can i prepare for the english section in apfc exam from the book verbal ability and reading comprehension for CAT BY ARUN SHARMA AND MEENAKSHI UPADHYAY,or do i need to purchase TMH english for civil and judicial examination by bhardwaj
can any one suggests me whether APFC post is better than probationary officer in a psu bank?
What is your Message? Search before asking questions & confine discussions to exams related
preparation for exam apfc book
Is law degree important for upsc apfc exam!plz tell me..
im post graduated in economics.can i apply for this post?
Hi, I am working with engineering background, please tell me about written test of APFC held date, and prep tips, I’m eligible or not for this exam, reply sir
Im m.phil. Sr im state govt.service as pry.teacher wth pension scheme frm 2002.is apfc better opportunity fr me as compare to pry .teacher? reply sir….
sir do give studyplan details of topics as well as booklist for mathematics, insurance laws and statistics
Sir, could you please upload the question paper of apfc exam, 2012. If possible then please upload it answer key too.
Thanks for your altruistic effort…
I have not a good command at english and i m much hesitated about these exams. So Please give me some tips and pls. tell me some good books for preparation these exam
why this egyankosh site is not working? from where to study the few points for apfc like
1.development and globalization
2.accountancy and auditing
4.labor law and industrial relations
please gave a previous q paper for APFC
Hi friends, best of luck for apfc exam 2015
Sir i have s.p bskshi for eng. Dat will b enough
COMPULSORY ENGLISH BY A P BHARDWAJ SUGGESTED BY YOU REALLY PROVED A BOON FOR TO CRACK ALL EXAMS.
THANKS MRUNAL , TMH AND A P BHARDWAJ . SIR I CAME ACCROSS NOE MORE VERY GOOD BOOK BY SAME AUTHOR GENERAL ENGLISH PUBLISHED BY PUBLISHED
ONE MORE BOOK GENERAL ENGLISH BY A P BHARDWAJ PUBLISHED BY PEARSON IS VERY GOOD BOOK FOR
BANKING , INSURANCE ,, RAILWAYS , DEFENCE , POLICE AND SSC EXAMS
ONE MORE BOOK GENERAL ENGLISH BY A P BHARDWAJ PUBLISHED BY PEARSON IS VERY GOOD BOOK FOR
BANKING , INSURANCE ,, RAILWAYS , DEFENCE , POLICE AND SSC EXAMS . it is the correction in previous comment
I am working as Personal Assistant in ESI Corporation. I came to know that an exam notification will be issued for Deputy Directors in E.S.I. Corporation (Gr.Pay 5400/-) which will be conducted by UPSC.
Please guide me in terms of Study material / previous papers / Books to be purchased.
I strongly desire to practice well for the exam. Please guide me.
Sir, Please guide me in appearing for the exam of Deputy Directors in ESI Corporation conducted by UPSC