D1: Palestine wants to join UN bodies
- for the full historic coverage of Israel-Palestine, read my earlier article click me
- 2012: Palestine given UN Non-Member observer status, and thus become eligible to sign 63 international treaties.
- Now, Palestine wants Israel to release final group of Palestinian prisoners.
- But Israel not complying, and USA also failed to convince Israel.
- Therefore, to mount pressure on Israel, the Palestine President Abbas wants to join 15 UN agencies and international treaties such as Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations, child rights, anti-torture, anti-corruption convention and so on.
- How will it help? Under Geneva conventions, Palestine can file complaints against Israel, for its human rights violations and illegal settlements activities.
Interview Q1: What will the impact on India?
- India has been historically backing rights of people of Palestine, PLO (Palestine Liberation Organisation) is also member of NAM.
- However, in the recent years, India is proactively engaged with Israel- for cooperation in defence and agriculture. They’re our 3th largest military supplier, including radars and AEW&C (airborne early warning and control systems). Therefore, we have lower down the voice against Israel.
- But If Palestine will become member of UN agencies than it will be difficult for India to walk on the tight rope and which side to lean towards.
- Obviously, India should stand for human rights and just treatment for the Palestinians, but a firm stand on any side should be according to need of the time.
Interview Q2: What’ll be impact on USA / Israel?
- Not any immediate effect.
- But If Palestine will be successful in filing case against Israel in ICC or ICJ under any of those conventions, then it’ll be difficult for USA to protect Israel.
- Therefore, US Secretary of State John Kerry has asked Palestinian President Mohd. Abbas to withdraw his applications to join those treaty conventions. (Also Abbas rejected Kerry’s request.)
- As of now, other UNSC permanent members have not come forward for the support of either Israel or Palestine
- But if Russia or China would come forward to back Palestine than the situation might take a turn for the worse, in the already tense gulf region.
- And Russia will probably do so, just to distract world-attention from Ukraine, and put USA on defensive about Israel.
- In that situation, USA will have to flex its muscle to manoeuvre the international community to not to act against Israel.
D2: Israel-Palestine: HAMAS-FATAH Unity Deal (Apr 14)
Interview Q. Why have Fatah and Hamas signed Unity deal? What’ll be its implication on Israel-Palestine relations?
- Hamas and Fatah =two rival factions of PLO (Palestine Liberation Organization).
- 2006: Hamas wins Palestine election but failed to form government
- 2007: rift between Hamas and Fatah => civil war.
- Both factions tried to reconcile in 2011 and 12 but no help.
|not important||Its leader Mahmood Abbas is the current President of Palestine authority.|
|Dominates Gaza & Coastal areas. Mostly poor & isolated regions.||Dominates West Bank area. Most populous and rich.|
||Moderate views than Hamas.|
||Egyptian army supports them.|
|Even Qatar has stopped supporting Hamas.||—|
Fast forward to current issue
- July 2013: Peace talks begin between Israel & Palestine, USA plays mediator.
- These talks had deadline of nine months (=end in April 2014.)
- But peace talks failed because:
|USA||first time publically blamed Israel for failure of talks – Because Israel’s decision to build 700 more settlements in Palestinian territory|
Anyways, just one day before the talk deadline in April 2014, Hamas and Fatah propose to sign a peace agreement, with following features:
- We recognize Israel as a country (but of 1967 borders)
- We Renounce violence
- We Acceptance of previous Israel- Palestine agreement 2011 and Hamas-Fatah agreement 2012
- We’ll hold election within 6 months.
Why USA-Israel unhappy with this “Unity Deal” between Hamas & Fatah?
- USA and Israel have declared Hamas as a militant/ terrorist organization. Hence direct negotiation with Hamas is against their official policy.
- USA declared that the pact is unhelpful and paused the talks.
- Some expert believe this is a tactic by Palestine leader Mahmood Abbas. He has not formally signed this treaty yet. This is a ploy to force Israel to release those $100 tax money.
- Israel’s stand: if Abbas signs this Unity Pact with Hamas=> we’ll hold him reasonable for every rocket fired towards Israeli settlements.
- EU Stand: Hamas is still a terror outfit under EU laws. We’ll recognize any deal between Israel-Palestine ONLY if Palestine is ruled by a “non-violent” regime.
Visit Mrunal.org/Diplomacy for entire list articles on Diplomacy & International relations (IR) for Mains GS2 paper of UPSC Civil service IAS/IPS Exam.
Very nice initiative sir .
Jab jab upsc aspirants aage banenge… Tab tab Mrunal sir ka Nam Golden words me likha jayega.. Really whole heartly thanks @Mrunal sir
Jab jab upsc aspirants aage badenge… Tab tab Mrunal sir ka Nam Golden words me likha jayega.. Really whole heartly thanks @Mrunal sir