- D1: UN-IOC Sports for development and Peace
- D2: UNSECO and International literacy day
- D3: UN-IOC Sports for development and Peace
D1: UN ECOSOC structure Function
Q. Write a short note on the structure & function of UN-ECOSOC (100 words)
Since UN ECOSOC had released this Arab integration report (and it appeared in Hindu & Frontline) hence this “Chillar” body becomes super important!
anyways, let’s frame the answer:
Answer key points
Economic and Social council (ECOSOC) is one of the six principle organs of United Nations.
- ECOSOC membership is based on geographical representation. Out of 54 seats, specific quotas fixed for Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, Europe etc.
- They’re elected from General Assembly for a term of three years.
- Four UNSC members – US, UK, Russia and France- are reelected continuously, because they provide majority of the funding to ECOSOC.
- Decisions by simple majority vote.
- Presidency changes annually.
- NGOs also given “Consultative status”.
- Direct and coordinate the economic, social, humanitarian, and cultural activities of the UN and its agencies; sends progress reports and resolutions to UNGA.
- Conduct studies pertaining to human rights, narcotics, population, demographic change, social development, status of women, role of sci-tech etc.
UNSECO & International literacy day
Q. Write a note on structure and functions of UNESCO and international literacy day 200 words.
- UNESCO (UN educational scientific and cultural organization):
- Specialized agency of UN, HQ- Paris
|Executive board||58 members. Overall Management of UNESCO|
- International collaboration through education, science and culture interactions
- Promote values of UN charter: rule of law, justice, human rights, fundamental freedom
- Peace, eradicate poverty, sustainable development
|Natural science||promote curiosity and learning|
|Social and human science||To solve the social challenges|
|Culture||To foster Cultural diversity|
|Communication and information||To promote Inclusive knowledge.|
UNESCO: International Literacy day
- UNDP report says ~880 million illiterate adults in the world. 2/3rd of them women.
- On the 8th September, 1965, Education ministers met in Tehran, to discuss world literacy problem.
- Hence that day celebrated as International literacy day.
- 2014: theme “Literacy and sustainable Development”.
UNESCO celebrates this day to remind the world that
- Literacy is a human right and the foundation of all learning.
- To mobilize public support against illiteracy.
D3: UN-IOC Sports for development and Peace
- UN and IOC has signed an agreement “Sports for development and Peace”
- To use sports for promoting peace and economic development.
- Joint sporting initiatives with help of International Olympics Committee and its allies vs. UN, its member states, Specialized agencies and goodwill ambassadors (like Suresh Kalmadi and Sheila Dixit.)
- Educate youth via sports: learn while you play
- Sports to increase interaction of margined society with rest of the world .
- In conflict areas like Syria and S.Sudan, Sports can help restore some normalcy.
- Sports can motivate children to enroll in schools.
- Sports can empower girls, give them leadership skills.
- Even HIV, drug abuse and environment protection messages can be taught via sports.
Visit Mrunal.org/Diplomacy for entire list articles on Diplomacy & International relations (IR) for Mains GS2 paper of UPSC Civil service IAS/IPS Exam.
Mrunal ji kindly post the sources of the news along with it as it would be very helpful
sources are mainly three:
of the given week.
Mrunal sir,i am one of the ardent follower of your site.These current affairs compilations are spectacular.Mrunal sir its a humble request to increase the frequency of publishing articles..am sure other aspirants also want to read regular frequent articles written by you.
Ya it’s so simple.. Thank you sir…
if anybody want geography optional ALS study material in delhi…plz contact me bcoz i am leaving to my home town..
mrunal sir when you will be gvng your economic survey 2014….as you did it last time …for civil services 2014..thanks.
Dude..Eco Survey 2014 is not yet released by Govt. It is expected to be released by July End.
Thanks! Very comprehensive coverage!
some more reform in IFS :-
1.Increase no of personnel , so that world can be engaged more closely .Indian IFS service is acutely understaffed no of India diplomats is approximately equal to diplomats of Singapore . which is much smaller country than India both in term of economy and in area. if we look at china and other developed countries we find that they have hugely increased size of their foreign ministry ,so that they can better engage with world and tackle the complex economic and strategic issue more robustly
2.Expert People from various field should be hired on contractual basic ,As they will bring various expertise to table.
3.Better coordination between PMO , MEA, Think tanks ,academician while drafting major policies
4. Service rule and condition should be properly documented and institutionalized (devyani case)
can i find all this in hindi???
sir hum wait kar rahe hai pl. Previous coment ka reply de dijiye request hai
sc candidate gov psu me reservation lekar job karraha hai ab resign karke new gov job prepairation kar reservation nahi lena chata hai in iske legal barriers kya hai pl. Bata dijiye yeh meri doosari request hai i a waiting
Form genral quota se bhar do….reservation apne aap nhi milega..koi problem nahi hogi. Sc , obc, st ka benefits lene ke liye certificate chahiye….koi agar sc , st rahte hue benefit nahi lena chahte ,, toh koi problem nahi bus form general category me bhar dena…
i need help & guidance for mains for punjab pcs
Sir, your guidance is invaluable.
Mrunal sir you are simply awesome……….Keep it up sir for the larger interest of civilservices aspirant
Develop some mechanism to remove redundant comments…hard to find useful value added comments. You are about to reach your 3,00,000th comment soon currently @ 2,83,xyz.
ECOSOC not that chillar and actually a fav of older generation
1. Digital divide
3. 70% of U.N expense
4. Started to re develop after wwII
5. Now towards ECOSO upliftment of developing countries so they can repay loans
6. Lima Declaration
mrunal sir please ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee help 2015 wale student as well………….pleaseeeee