- [Act I] Rural Infrastructure (RI)
- RINS1: Rurban Mission
- RINS2: Gram Jyoti Mission
- RIES1: Indira Awas Yojana
- RIES2: Rural housing fund (NHB)
- RIES3: National rural Drinking water Program (NRDWP)
- RIES4: Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan
- RINS1 (NEW) Swatchh Bharat Abhiyan
- RIES5: Backward Region Grant Fund (BRGF)
- RIES6: Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)
- [Act II] Urban Infrastructure (UI)
- Urban Area Definition (Census 2011)
- City Tiers
- UINS1: Smart cities
- UINS2: Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITS)
- UINS3: Housing for All 2022
- UINS4: 500 Cities’ Urban renewal
- UIES1: JNNRUM 2005
- UIES2: Rajiv Awas Yojana
- UIES3: Rajiv RINN Detergent Yojana
- UIES4: Municipal Debt
- [Act III] State specific Misc.
Chapter 13, total four parts
- UNDP’s Human Development report 2014, poor, women and children [coming soon]
- Education, youth, minorities, SC, ST, PH, Elderly [coming soon]
- Rural and urban infrastructure [you’re here]
Structure of these articles:
- Trivial Statistics | Theory (if and where applicable)
- Schemes: New | Existing (Only those mentioned in Survey OR budget.)
- Economic Survey observations (if and where applicable)
[Act I] Rural Infrastructure (RI)
But first, some trivial GK from Census 2011.
- in absolute numbers, both urban and rural population increased
- But percentage wise, rural population has declined.
- Maximum number of villages: UP >> MP >> Odisha
- Lowest number of villages: Chandigarh << Laskhdweep << Diu-Daman
- Total Villages: 597485 = ~6 Lakh
- Total Villagers: 80 crore+
- Villages occupied by Pakistan and China not counted in Census 2011.
Now let’s start with the bogus sarkaari schemes:
- RINS: Rural infra new scheme
- RIES: Rural Infra Existing scheme
RINS1: Rurban Mission
|NAME||Shyama Prasad Mukerjee Rurban Mission* (Ref. Appendix for more details on him)|
|WHO||Undeclared. most probably rural Development ministry|
|WHY?||Villagers get civic infrastructure similar to city folks. including skill development and economic opportunities|
RINS2: Gram Jyoti Mission
|NAME||Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana *(Ref. Appendix for more details on him)|
|WHO||Undeclared. Most probably Power ministry because they run R***** G***** Vidhuytikaran Yojana.|
|WHY?||give 24/7 electricity to villagers. upgrade distribution in rural areas|
|FUNDING||500 cr. (figure not important)|
Third is Swatch Bharat given after few paras- to keep continuity in revision. Now let’s move to existing schemes:
RIES1: Indira Awas Yojana
|Who?||Rural Development ministry|
|What?||Gram sabha identifies BPL households. They get money to construct house.|
|Money flow||DRDA => Gram Panchyat.|
|Nature of work||figures not important|
|house in plains||70,000/-|
|house in hills, difficult terrain, LWE area||75,000/-|
|upgrading existing house||15,000/-|
- Land development portion: eligible for MNREGA project work. They also get electricity connection under R** G** Vidhutikaran Yojana, toilet under Nirmal Bharat abhiyan.
- Single women get separate quota under Indira Awas Yojana and Rajiv Awas Yojana
- MIS Software: “Awaasoft” for transparency, target tracking and automation of work.
RIES2: Rural housing fund (NHB)
|By whom?||National Housing Bank (NHB) since 2008. BTW, RBI owns NHB.|
|Why?||Give home loans to weaker sections in rural area. Upto 15 lakh rupees.|
|Budget 2014||Gave 8000 crores to it.|
RIES3: National rural drinking water program (NRDWP)
|Who?||Ministry of drinking water supply, 2009|
Related topics: Neelanchal and PM sinchayi yojana- but under agro chapter.
RIES4: Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan
Earlier known as “Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC)” Renamed in 2012.
|Who?||Ministry of drinking water supply|
- Gram Panchayats get Nirmal Gram Puraskar award for being free of open defecation.
- Sikkim: first Nirmal State in the country having achieved full sanitation coverage.
- Rural sanitation is a state subject. But state governments more interested in giving funds to free electricity, food etc. for vote bank politics. Therefore, rural sanitation not getting the necessary support.
- New research on region wise low cost toilets.
RINS1 (NEW) Swatchh Bharat Abhiyan
|Who?||Undeclared, but most like the Ministry of Drinking water supply|
|What?||100% toilet access to all households|
|When?||By 2019: Gandhi’s 150th Birth anniversary.|
RIES5: Backward Region Grant Fund (BRGF)
|Who?||Ministry of Panchayati Raj (also runs another scheme “Panchayat Shashaktikaran Yojana)|
|What?||Additional money to backward regions, so they can reach Development level of other “normal” areas.|
- This money is used for improving water, sanitation, schools, street lights etc. rural infrastructure.
- Using Panchayati Raj institutions (PRI), bottom up Development model.
|District component||State component|
|~272 district, minimum 1 crore given to each||Bihar, Odisha, W.Bengal, UP (Bundelkhand)|
Budget 2014 promised to restructure BRGF such that
- intra-district inequalities reduced
- Sub-districts units within States get adequate support.
RIES6: Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)
|Who?||Rural Development ministry 2000 under Vajpayee regime.|
|What?||To construct all weather roads to unconnected habitats.
|How?||Money comes from Cess on High speed diesel via Central Road Fund Act.|
Budget 2014: >14k crore allotted
[Act II] Urban Infrastructure (UI)
- ES: existing scheme
- NS: New scheme
But first some trivial GK
Urban Area Definition (Census 2011)
|Statutory Towns||Census towns|
|All places with a municipality, corporation, cantonment board or notified town area committee, etc.||that meet following conditions
|4041 towns. Number not important but interpretation is: majority of Urban India is “Statutory towns”.||3894 towns|
|Center||city||Population is ____|
|Metropolitan||–||10 lakh and above|
|Urban||Tier 1||1 lakh and above|
|Semi-Urban||Tier 2||50,000 to 99,999|
|Tier 3||20,000 to 49,999|
|Tier 4||10,000 to 19,999|
|Rural||Tier 5||5,000 to 9,999|
|Tier 6||less than 5,000.|
- (CENSUS-2011) Population wise Metropolitans: Mumbai > Delhi > Kolkata > Chennai > Bangalore.
- UN report 2014: Delhi highest population. then Mumbai.
- Total population in Urban area: ~31.2% OR 37+ crores public.
- we’ll see IMR, MMR etc data under Health part of Chapter 13.
UINS1: Smart cities
|WHO||Ministry of Urban Development|
|WHY||Rise of neo middle class who wants better civic amnesties|
What is smart city?
- Provides civic amnesties via Information communication technology (ICT) solution.
- Street lights switched on and off via automated timers, to save maximum energy.
- Real time information on parking, traffic congestion, public transport
- As a result, Smart cities are energy efficient and have low carbon foot print.
|Surat||online monitoring of water quality|
|Boston, US||gunshot sensors placed around city, to immediately notify police on crime in progress.|
|Dublin (Ireland)||mobile apps for parking slot, so you don’t have to loiter here and there to find empty space.|
|London, UK||Mayor gets constant data on city performance, even data mining tools to analyze live twitter feeds (e.g. junta complaining about traffic or late trains)|
Proposed smart cities across Industrial corridors:
FDI in Smart cities
|*Minimum build up area (sq.m)||50k||20k|
|*Investment (USD)||10 mil.||5 mil.|
|Lock in period after project completion||3 years||same|
*These limit don’t apply to foreign investor, IF 30% of the money spent on low-cost housing for poors/lower middle class.
UINS2: Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITS)
- Hindi: रियल एस्टेट निदेश ट्रस्ट
- Not exactly a “scheme” but investment tool. Anyways, what is REITS? Observe the words
|Real Estate||to construct homes, offices, townships|
|Investment||Indians, NRIs, foreigners –all welcome to invest|
|Trust||operated by professional managers (similar to mutual fund managers)|
How does REITs work?
Mechanism similar to Mutual funds
- Junta pools money. Each gets “unit” according to his contribution in the pool.
- Trust manager invests money in completed / almost completed projects.
- Such Property is rented / leased. Rent money distributed among investors according to number of “units” held by them.
- In US, UK: Trust manager must distribute 90% of earning as dividends. (in other words, he can keep upon 10% commission)
- Budget 2014 promised we’ll permit REITs and will not demand corporate tax on them.
- SEBI will notify rules in August 2014.
What’re the benefits of REITS?
- (Proposed) minimum investment limit will be 5 lakh rupees. (Probably) will provide higher return on investment than bank, sharemarket= less investment in gold, less current account deficit.
- REITS units can be sold at stock exchange. (Just like those CPSE exchange traded Funds). Therefore, you don’t have to wait till maturity or real estate prices to go up. You can sell your units anytime and recover money.
- This will provide additional source of finance for real estate developers. So they can finish existing projects, recover money and repay bank loans. NPA will be reduced.
What is InvITS?
- Infrastructure investment trusts
- Mechanism similar to REITS.
- You give money, fund manager builds infrastructure- ports, powerlines, highways. Asset generates income (Port fees, toll collection etc.) from there, you get dividend in proportion to units held by you.
- Budget 2014 permitted InvITS as well.
UINS3: Housing for All 2022
Exact details not disclosed. but, to achieve this, following measures taken
- Income tax: home loan interest deduction raised from 1.5 lakh to 2 lakh.
- National housing bank given funds for mission on low cost affordable housing.
- Under companies act, certain companies have to spend 2% of their profit on CSR activities. From now on, “slum development” also included in one such corporate social responsibility (CSR) work.
- FDI for smart cities
- Municipal debt pool.
UINS4: 500 Cities’ Urban renewal
In 500 cities, 4 things for next 10 years, via PPP
- digital connectivity
- safe drinking water
- Waste management
- Recycled water for growing organic fruits and vegetable.
Now let’s check some old schemes mentioned in economic survey and or budget 2014
UIES1: JNNRUM 2005
|NAME||Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) 2005|
|WHO||Ministry of Urban Development|
|WHEN||7 years’ time frame. UPA-II wanted to renew but then regime Change. New minister Naidu says we’ll rename and re-launch this scheme.|
- JNNURM has submission for water supply, sanitation, waste Management, transport etc.
- State and local bodies have to first “reform” themselves to become eligible for JNNURM funding. eg. Adopting e-governance, simplifying property tax collection etc.
- Not going into more details because as Naidu said, we’ll rename and relaunch!
UIES2: Rajiv Awas Yojana
|WHO||Ministry of housing and urban poverty alleviation|
UIES3: Rajiv RINN Detergent Yojana
|WHO||Ministry of housing and urban poverty alleviation|
|Why||Provide loans to economic weaker section (EWS). so they can buy homes in Urban areas, instead of living in slums.|
Let’s check new schemes under Abki baar Modi Sarkar.
UIES4: Municipal Debt
- 2006: Government setup “Pooled Municipal Debt Obligation Facility”
- It provides loans to municipalities
- For projects related to public transport, solid waste disposal, sewerage treatment, drinking water etc.
- Budget 2014: promised to give 50,000 crores in next 5 years.
So far we learned Rural infra and Urban Infra. Now last part of this whole series.
[Act III] State specific Misc.
SS1: North East
- Will promote Commercial organic farming.
- Will launch Arun Prabha Channel for cultural integrity.
- Rail connectivity: 1000 cr given.
- From all India Plan outlay: 10% will be given North east. This will be Non-lapsable. i.e. even if they can spend money by 31st March 2015, they won’t have to return money back.
SS2: Jammu Kashmir
|Rehabilitate displaced Kashmiri Migrant||500 cr|
|indoor outdoor stadium- building new, upgrading existing.||200 cr|
|Pashmina Promotion Programme (P-3)||50 cr.|
|Water, electricity reform||700cr.|
|setup Hastkala Academy for handicrafts||30cr.|
What Is Renuka Dam?
- Yamuna river => Tributary Giri River (HP)
- Himachal Power corp. ltd. will construct a dam on it, in Renuka wildlife sanctuary.
- petitions filed in National green tribunal (NGT)
|Andaman Nicobar||communication infrastructure modernization||150|
|Puducherry||disaster Management preparedness||188|
Since Modi named schemes after these leaders, we’ve to prepare’em for General Studies Mains Paper 1: pre-independence and post-independence India.
Pt. Deendayal Upadhyaya (1916-1968)
- Born: Mathura district in UP
- Bharatiya Jan Sangh (BJS) General Secretary for 15 years
- Gave Political philosophy “Integral Humainism” (BJP)
- Editor of Panchjanya and Swadesh
- Budget 2014 Scheme named after him- Gram Jyoti for 24/7 electricity supply to villagers.
Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukerjee (1901-1953)
- Barrister from England
- Youngest VC of Calcutta University
- Active in Asiatic society of Calcutta
- President of Hindu Mahasabha (1940-44)
- Opposed Sarat Suharawady pact, which aimed to create separate “Bengal” nation.
- Minster of Industries and Supply in Nehru’s Interim Central government. But resigned due to Delhi Pact.
- Bharatiya Jansangh founder
- Wanted Uniform civil code
- Wanted full integration of Jammu and Kashmir i.e. remove article 370
- Budget 2014: Scheme named after him “Rurban mission.”
Delhi Pact (Nehru- Liaqat) 1950
- Signed between Nehru and Paki PM Liaqat Ali Khan.
- To prevent communal violence and persecution of refugees.
- Equal citizenship to minorities in both countries. Their minority rights will be enforced.
- Refugees can return to dispose their properties.
- Abducted women, looted properties will be returned.
- Forced religious conversions will be unrecognized.
- We’ll appoint minority commissions to implement these terms.
Shayama Prasad Mukerjee opposed this pact because Two similar agreements were made in past but they were #EPICFAIL. So, he felt Pakis would not honor this third agreement either.
Q. UPSC exam postpone or not?
Ans. Panel has submitted report, government deliberating on it. Ref: firstpost.com/?p=1643723. Either way, study-momentum must be sustained.
Q. I had filed RTI to get mains answersheet but UPSC replied “NO”.
- Ans. Talked with RTI expert lawyer friends. UPSC filed SLP against CIC judgment in Supreme Court. (CIC had earlier ordered disclosure of mains answersheets).
- So, if you appeal to FAA he’ll take CPIO’s side saying case in SC. You further appeal in CIC, video conferencing date may be allotted after 3-5-6 months because of the case pendency.
- Nonetheless, if you want to make appeal to FAA, then my RTI champion lawyer friend has drafted readymade petition. Just download following wordfile : files.secureserver.net/0shQTLbTl9pIg5
- edit details, and upload it on onlinerti portal /OR SEND VIA post it to FAA.
Q. What about those youtube “videos”?
Ans. Long story cut short, It had become difficult to ride two horses, so I stopped giving lectures, till prelim is over. So no lecture, no video.
Q. This is chapter 13 what about remaining chapters?
Ans. I’m publishing in reverse order of chapters: 13, 12, 11…
Q. You’ve not mentioned XYZ scheme / fund /policy in this article?
Ans. Many reasons
- Scheme to be included in some other part e.g. safe drinking water under health part. Neelanchal under Agro part and so on.
- Scheme not given in economic survey / budget.
- As such there are 66 centrally sponsored schemes, and many of them covered under previous summary of Economic survey 2012. But cost benefit = bad, if you start digging and mugging up all of them. Hence focusing only on the schemes that are in news.
- Existing scheme that doesn’t have much MCQ worthy “glamour” in them e.g. Panchayat Shashaktikaran yojana.
Q. You’ve hardly given any points for the new schemes
Ans. Jaitley himself did not discuss which ministry will implement? Who’ll be the eligible beneficiaries, what’ll be the salient features etc. Most probably, Modi saving all those details for his 15th august speech which will be a ‘mini-budget’ in itself!
Q. You’re giving so many stupid ascending descending sequence for everything- taxes, census, GDP components and so on. It is humanly impossible to memorize so much data.
Ans. It’s called “spray and pray” technique. Throw up enough data, at least 1 MCQ gets asked in atleast one competitive exam. Then I can make bogus marketing propaganda that it came from my site. Besides, Compared to the amount of “spray and pray” data thrown in coaching material and competitive magazines, I’m the lesser evil in this mafia town.
Q. Will you finish this series before prelim comes?
Ans. I will try to. But unlike Salman Khan, I can’t make commitment because there are many factors beyond my control.
Technically, this is the “last” part of the Economic Survey 2013 article series. Therefore, credits must roll at the end of the movie. This series was impossible without the help of following:
- Rajtanil Solanki, Ahmedabad
- Shivaram G., Chennai
- Microsoft Onenote 2013.
Workflow: I gather points from Survey + budget. They dig background points. Live synchronization via Microsoft Onenote cloud service.
Moral of the story: instead of forming large online “studygroup” where no one contributes, better find 2-3 hardcore players and collaborate in real-life OR onenote. Otherwise humanly impossible to cover entire GS syllabus singlehandedly- especially in Mains, even with all “readymade” (Authentic / XEROXED) study-material at your disposal.
First of all, thank you for your articles which’ve been a great respite from academic and wordy texts from like of Economic Survey and India Yearbook.
Now, I understand you’ve limitations to how much you can update this website so if you’re interested and okay with it, I am up for contributing to your website.
Please mail me, if you need any help.
help me frnds, is it right decision to go with study material in videos and hard copy with test series ???
I bet even if csat is removed still 60-70 % engineers will qualify for civil services.. its not because they are of super mind , its only because now in india 10 15 lakhs engineer are being manufactured in MSME type of institutions. so its easier to find B.tech degree holders than finding B.A or B.Sc.
Sarr dukh raha hai….. Aur nahi bhai
Congress:: Every project named after Gandhi Parivar
BJP:: every project named after Sangh Parivar
The only visible change.
hi mrunal..many thanks for all these informative articles…
but i am finding problem in downloading your powerpoint ppts…can you or any one else can help me
mrunal sir can u tell me how to bring marksheet of cpf 2013 from upsc,…….plz any body ?????
http://www.upsc.gov.in/Query/cpf/cpf_wq_marks_query.htm Written Qualified
http://www.upsc.gov.in/Query/cpf/cpf_wf_marks_query.htm Written not qualified
thanq arjun…… i was asking how to see copy of omr sheet :)
Also ” National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP) ” not ” National rural water drinking program (NRWDP)”
sir really i am indebted to you….i was waiting for article series as problem of you tube on mobile phone and net speed…
if i would show my sincerity as you are showing ……it would have great reward…….i will do it.
I think this artical is very good and instrusted for us….
Great job !!
thanks a lot sir!
sir thanks u provide the maximum knowledge in right direction…….
thanking you sir//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Great work and thanks a lot sir. May God bless you.
Keep your plans dark and secret guys, so that whn they fall, they fall like thunderbolt…. the time for discussion is over…All the best.
I see you started to upload the Economy related lectures in youtube, which is very nice to see.
But do you also have any plans to upload these videos in English version or atleast with English subtitles.. Because that would be even more helpful for wider section of people who are following your posts…
Don’t you think that setting up of REITs will make Real Estate sector vulnerable to speculations since the units can be traded like shares?? How is govt planing to curb that?
sir please tell me where from i can start economic section I am Totally confussed
should i buy ecocomic survey first or
should i watch videos on your web-site or
should i read this written material/ blog on ur web site
Please Please reply any one
Sir If we are writing mains in gujrati then if we want use ‘GDP’ then can we as it is or not?