- SAARC related three current affairs topics in news during September and October 2014.
- for background theory on SAARC organization visit Mrunal.org/diplomacy
- Relevance: UPSC GS Mains paper 2: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests. + CSAT MCQs on Bamiyan given UPSC’s affection for Buddhism.
SAARC#1: Delhi declaration on Education
- 2014, Oct: SAARC education ministers’ meeting held at Delhi.
- They issued a joint statement called “SAARC Delhi declaration on education”.
Education for all
- Students from disadvantaged groups, cannot finish education or gain vocational skills, due to discrimination and poverty. Therefore, we’ll adopt “inclusive education” policy.
- We’ll increase budget provisions for above “inclusive education”, Gender equitable education and higher education.
- Thus, we’ll achieve Education for all / Universalization of education (= in long term less terrorist-recruits for ISI).
- School dropouts in 15-24 age group, will be given vocational training / distance education.
- Promote Massive Open Online Course, e-learning, ICT tools for learning.
- Mutual recognition of paper degrees, Harmonize of academic standards. So migrant workers can get job easily in another SAARC member-country.
- Each member will share its best education practices and secret coaching class material with others.
- Each SAARC nation will develop an accreditation system. So foreign students can know the bogus colleges before applying.
- Student and faculty exchange programs among SAARC members.
- Linkages between universities, R&D bodies and think tanks.
- (facebook) networking among scientists, students and organizations.
- Four years back, we had setup South Asian university in Delhi. Let’s promote it institute of excellence.
- We’ll Formulate “post-2015 education development goals”. Expert group will meet in 2015, June for this.
- Next meeting of education ministers @Maldives.
Mock Question (GS2): Discuss the importance of Education and cultural diplomacy to strengthen relationship between the SAARC countries. 200 words.
SAARC#2: Energy cooperation & SAME agreement
Why SAARC Energy grid?
- SAARC nations’ 30% energy needs met through imports.
- Direct correlation between Per capita electricity consumption vs Human Development index (HDI). But SAARC region’s per capita consumption very low (128 units) compared to world average (3045 units).
- ADB report says SAARC energy trade will increase people to people and economic ties among the SAARC nations.
- At present, India is imports hydro-electricity from Bhutan (1500MW)
- India exports electricity to Nepal (150 MW) and Bangladesh (500MW)
- Rivers can flow in one direction but energy can flow in any direction of our choice. Therefore, Once SAARC energy grid is setup, deeper cooperation is possible. For example:
- Bangladesh is in dire need of electricity. During irrigation season, it has to reduce power to manufacturing industries, to supply electricity to agriculture belt. But with a grid-network, it could import North East India’s hydroelectric power.
- Same way, Sri Lanka / Tamilnadu’s offshore wind energy could be sold to Nepal or Afghanistan.
- Under BCIM forum (Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar), China proposed energy cooperation. If SAARC-grid setup, then a large electric network of SAARC+BCIM = cheaper electricity = per capita consumption will increase = better HDI for all countries.
- SAARC Market of Electricity (SAME) Agreement.
- Finalized at New Delhi meeting of SAARC energy ministers. (2014, October)
- Aims to setup a “SAARC energy grid”
- This grid will help transferring electricity among SAARC-nations.
- Focus on 3 pronged strategy:
- Harness both conventional and renewable energy.
- Build inter-connected transmission grids
- Power trade agreements.
- + building underwater DC line to Shri Lanka.
- Will come into force after all members ratify it.
|2005||SAARC energy ministers’ 1st meeting.|
|2010||They begin deliberation on Energy cooperation agreement.|
Mock Question (GS2): Discuss the scope of energy cooperation among SAARC nations and examine the importance of “SAME Agreement” in this regard. 200 words
For background theory on SAARC organization visit Mrunal.org/diplomacy.
Great stuff…Mrunal bhai
Friends anybody wiťh zoology or botany optional, who gave exam last year? Jst tell me wether the booklet had extra space than GS, and if both were same then how did u manage to draw diagrams.
plz throw some light, waitinv for an early reply. Thanks in advance.
Can anyone plz tell me the necessity of general studies manual (tmh or pearson)
how can we effectively utilise that manual for prelims preparation
plz reply me because u people are serious players in the exam so that you can some light to beginners like me
All the best for your mains exams
Prateek buy second hand copy- whichever is cheap- TMH / Pearson.
its main utility is the history and science portion and the mock question given after each section.
remaining topics are to be prepared from NCERTs, NIOS, Laxmikanth, Spectrum/Bipan etc.
Thanks so much Mrunal Sir
i want some help regarding DAF. my father was in bank, he joined as scale 1 officer, then get pramoted as scale 2 and 3 officer subsequently. i just want to know that whether scale 2 officer is class 1 or scale 3 is class 1 as equivalent in govt posts??
As per my knowledge, Banks are not fully owned gov institutions and their pay structure is totally different from govt employees. Class 1/2/3/4 of govt emp is based upon the pay scale. So this class thing can not be imposed on any bank or PSU employees. Banks have scale system.
But i really need the comparisam between two. Where should i get the exact information??? Plz help me out.
I have experience of both the services and can tell you that both are truly incomparable. It is like comparing solar energy and conventional means: both are energy sources but truly incomparable. Payment authorities are different – one follows IBA pattern based on bipartite settlements between bank unions and IBA, the other follows a totally different pattern. In bank, there are no officers, there are only managers who are given designations of officers and referred in banking terminology as ‘officials’, whereas in central govt there are officers and staff designated based on pay scales. So there is actually no common grounds of comparison.
I felt you are the best person to guide me and hope that i have the permission to go ahead.
I was, in fact i am passionate about joining defense services, but failed consecutively in 8 SSB’s. I am 25 and have stopped giving SSB’s for a year. Now, at the moment i am waiting for my SBI PO final results and i am very hopeful. I have made up my mind for civil services but some where it still pains that i could not join defense services for which i was so passionate. I just somewhere feel that after getting this job i should still give a try. I am confused whether i should look back or move on.
Sir, I know we should always follow what our heart says but i believe you are in better position to guide me.
Thanking in high anticipation.
I have given 2014 upsc preli my vms…bt i didn’t clear…. m not able to understand how should i prepare for upsc….plz guide me….i have lost all my confidence n feeling deppresed
This year prelims paper was very different, you must not lose hope start preparing for next year.
thanx…..can u tell me how should i prepare gs for 2015 prelims
EVEN I GOT STUCK IN PRELIMS 2014 N HAD LOST CONFIDENCE,,,,,,,BT IT IS RIGHT TIME TO START PREPARING FOR IAS 2015…SO I STARTED
READING MOTIVATION 4rm ONE N ONLY MRUNAL sir and WATCHING VIDEOS UPLOADED by Dr ROMAN SAINI (CSE-2013 AIR-18)
on youtube/Unacadmey . go through how to his videoS HOW TO CSE 2015 and OTHER VIDEOS FOR MAINS and OPTIONAL PREPARATION.
TAKE 2-3 days break go through mention steps.i m sure u will confident. even i started preparation 4mn today onwards…………….
so get a new energy n start to killllllllllllllll cse 2015 thanks
thank u so much for ur motivating msg…..what should i read along with mrunal for 2015
don’t lose hope.think positive and start preparing.for cse 2015 time is sufficient.its neither less nor enough.always remember that slow and steady wins the race.be regular.pay lots of attention to revision.make the preparation process simple and for gs don’t go in too much depth.dont go into details just have relevant knowledge.just have knowledege which is relevant.they want generalists not specialists.read the blog of prince dhawan and stop thinking too much.also remember that those who have cleared may not know very much.
Thank you so much.I am a first time user and I felt good use of the articles.could you provide syllabus vise discussion of each paper in upsc mains?.
when you look at it almost all policies are essentially the same..the same old objectives,the same old “noble” intentions….only a promise to carry it out with greater vigour every time..old wine in new bottle every time and people take it in as new “potion”…the circle of life and all.
Thanku very much!!!!!
its very urgent .. i need to know whether certificate for graduation which UPSC is asking along with DAF form need to be original. i am having my provisional degree certificate will it do ?
Not to worry…send a photocopy of provisional degree certificate….it wud be accepted….den try 2 get degree certificate after mains
anybody with electrical engineering optional??
Please suggest about international relations q..historical ties are also important?
If anyone was wondering about the correlation between Per Capita Electricity Consumption and HDI – http://www.nei.org/corporatesite/media/filefolder/Human_Development_Index_and_Electricity_Consumption.ppt
Friends please guide for IR..really it wud b a great help..n yes m nt the gal doing comments in ssc discussion..studying for mains..need sm guidance..
https://mrunalmanage.wpcomstaging.com/2013/03/approach-upsc-2013-general-studies-prelims-mains.html#443 check IR approach mentioned by mrunal
Thanks osho..n thanks mrunal..
hi mrunal there is problem in upsc site its not opening pls share the prob.gve suggestions
Uday, UPSC site is not opening here either. Try again later in office hours.
plz ,frd guide, i preparing for 2015 upsc pri ,which test series i should conduct ,
plz koi btayega 2015 upsc ssc cancel to ni ho rha na
Somebody with zoology optional..please help with biostatistics part..
i m a beginner for UPSC preperation.. becoming 31 in 2015.. ur category.. m i eligible… n suggest me books stratgy every thing please… deadly want to clear UPSC 2015.. its all abot my life…
Sir, its very diificult to select mine optional subject in civil, and brief me with authentic book fr ias pre. and which coaching notes will be best fr fresher.
VERY IMPORTANT INFO