Padma awards Theory
- Padma Vibhushan is 2nd Highest civilian award after Bharat Ratna in India. And Overall, 4th highest award- after Bharat Ratna, Param Vir Chakra, Mahavir Chakra.
- After Vibhushan the two lower medals are Padham-Bhushan and Padma-Shree.
- Launched in 1954, but were not given in certain years such as 1978, 1979 etc.
- Names announced on Republic day, but actual awards given by President during March/April.
- Given for notable work in art, social-service, public affairs, science, trade, medicine, civil service, sport and others.
- Higher level award can’t be given without 5 years cooling period. e.g. Padma Shri to Padma Bhushan. But award Committee can relax this rule in special cases. Saina Nehwal unhappy because wrestler Sushil Kumar given relaxation but she was not.
- Not given to dead people, unless exceptional case and died recently.
- Serving Government employees, PSU-employees not eligible. But foreigners eligible e.g. Bill Gates.
- Prime minister setup the Padma award selection Committee, then President makes final approval, and names published in official gazette. Rumors say President Pranab was unahappy with Yoga-guru Baba Ramdev’s name, hence Ramdev voluntarily withdrew his name.
- Maximum limit 120 awards each year.
- Winner gets certificate, bronze medal, but can’t use this title as a prefix or suffix. No free rail tickets or pension given with this award.
Out of them: 17 women, 17 foreigners and 4 dead.
|1.L. K. Advani||Public Affairs||Gujarat||
|2.Amitabh Bachchan||Art||Maharashtra||Bollywood hero who appeared in over 180 movies.|
|3.Prakash Singh Badal||Public Affairs||Punjab||Patron of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) and present CM of Punjab.|
|4.Dr. D. Veerendra Heggade||Social Work||Karnataka||Hereditary administrator (Dharmadhikari) of Dharmasthala temple, Karnataka. Also won Karnataka-Ratna (2009)|
|5.Mohammad Yusuf Khan||Art||Maharashtra||Better known as Dilip Kumar, this Bollywood hero appeared in over 60 movies.|
|6.Swami Rambhadracharya||Others||Uttar Pradesh||He is one of the four incumbent Jagadguru Ramanandacharya, Sankrit Scholar and head of Tulsi peeth at Chitrakoot|
|7.Prof. Malur Ramaswamy Srinivasan||Sci./Engg.||Tamil Nadu||This nuclear physicist played key role in indigenous Pressurized Heavy Water Reactor.|
|8.Kottayan K. Venugopal||Public Affairs||Delhi||Senior advocate in the Supreme Court of India.|
|9.Karim Al Hussaini Aga Khan (Foreigner)||Trade and Industry||France/UK||Aga Khan is a name used by the Imam of the Nizari Ismailis since 1818. Karim Al Hussaini is the Current Imam of this sect.|
|Dr. Vijay Bhatkar||Sci./Engg.||Maharashtra||He developed first Indian Supercomputer, Param 8000 (1991)|
|N. Gopalaswami||Civil Service||Tamil Nadu||
|Dr. Subhash C. Kashyap||Public Affairs||Delhi||Former Secretary-General of Lok Sabha and a Constitutional expert.|
|Shri Harish Salve||Public Affairs||Delhi||
|Satpal||Sports||Delhi||He is the coach of Olympic silver medalist, Sushil kumar. Mr.Satpal himself won Renowned Wrestler who won medals at Asian games in the 70s and 80s.|
|Prof. Manjul Bhargava
|Bill Gates and Melinda Gates
|Bibek Debroy (Niti Ayog fulltime member)||Litt/Edu||Delhi|
|Bollywood villain Pran Kumar Sharma alias Pran (Posthumous)||Art||Delhi|
|Dawoodi Bohra leader Late Shri Syedna Mohammad Burhanuddin
|Gunvant Shah (Columinist)||Litt/Edu||Gujarat|
|Ms. Arunima Sinha (Amputee Mt.Everest climb)||Sports||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ms. Mithali Raj (cricketer)||Sports||Telangana|
|Ms. P. V. Sindhu (Badminton)||Sports||Telangana|
|Prasoon Joshi (Lyricist)||Art||Maharashtra|
|Prof. Bimal Roy||Litt/Edu||West Bengal|
|Sanjay Leela Bhansali (film-maker)||Art||Maharashtra|
|T. V. Mohandas Pai (Ex-Infosys)||Trade and Industry||Karnataka|
|Tarak Mehta (Satire novelist)||Art||Gujarat|
Visit Mrunal.org/PIN for Persons in news, books-authors, awards and sports related current affairs for IBPS, SSC, CDS, CAPF, ACIO and state service exams.
Hello sir …I want know how to prepare and what is right way to follow so that we can complete full syllabus in 2 months state PCs (Karnataka public service commission).we have exam coming April month. And suggest me some books and also few tips
what is the expected time for mains result? is it march first week or end of march…anybody
Sir plze try to write something for MPSC exam
Respected sir, I am covering each article posted by you. U r covering everything. I am a new in this field and working in govt sector. So I have less time to study. What action should I opt to cover the syllabus. Is news paper necessary if yes then which news paper. How to write a good essay.
Just follow Mrunal and prepareias.in u need not to follow any news paper which covers almost all the articles from newspapers and websites like pib.nic.in, mea.gov.in etc
Thanks Mrunal. this article was published on the next day (27 Jan) after announcement in other sites which is more exam oriented
Thanks for this information
mrunal bhai serving government employees can receive padma awards. sr rao a serving ias officer got padma sri in 1997
What is your Message? Search before asking questions & confine discussions to exams related matter only. sir i am preparing for capf ac exam and having difficulty in paper 2 of subjective english. please tell me how to prepare essay precise comprehensions and grammar related to exam
and sir i want to ask another question that for current event which newspaper is helpful
Sir mein uttar pradesh government mein 4 year se regular job mein hoon kya mein ssc cgl exam 20 15th ke exam mein age relaxation milega?