- ?Gist of the Chapter 11 on Thalinomics
- ?Prelims MCQs from this chapter
- ✍️Mains Mock Questions this chapter
- ?Interview Mock Questions this chapter
- ? Epilogue: Thalinomics Bhaktinomics
- 31st Jan 2020: CEA Subramanian K. published a new Economic Survey of India 2019-20 containing two volumes.
- In this series I am making the summary of the volume1’s individual chapters in the reverse order (11,10,09,08,….) for the benefit of UPSC Civil Services Exam Aspirants.
- In my 6 pillar approach to economy, this particular chapter would fit in
- Pillar4C: inflation, and
- Pillar6: Hunger and Malnutrition.
- Although given the quality of content, this chapter is hardly useful in either of those pillars.
?Gist of the Chapter 11 on Thalinomics
- Thalinomics: How much ₹₹ a common person pays for a Thali (platter of food) across India? थाली पर एक आम व्यक्ति कितना भुगतान करता है, यह जानने की कोशिश.
- Between 2015 to 2018, the Thali price has reduced: 1) Across all regions of India 2) for both veg and non-veg thalis. पूरे भारत में शाकाहारी और मांसाहारी थाली के मूल्य में गिरावट आई है.
- So, Thali’s affordability has increased for poor families. गरीबों के लिए सस्ती / किफायती / वहनीय हुई है
- Consequently, a family of five people is able to save >₹10,000/per year because of reduced prices. पैसों की बचत हुई है
- While Thali prices reduced between 2015-18, they have increased in 2019. दामों में वृद्धि हुई है
ES20 also appreciated following schemes for 1) increasing food production and 2) making food more affordable. निम्न योजनाओं के चलते खाद्य उत्पादन बढ़ा है और सस्ता हुआ है
- Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay SanraksHan Abhiyan (PM-AASHA)
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) – Per Drop More Crop
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
- Soil Health Card
- e-National Agricultural Market (e-NAM)
- National Food Security Mission (NFSM)
- National Food Security Act (NFSA).
?Prelims MCQs from this chapter
- Chapter is almost irrelevant for prelims because “Thali” prices increased/decreased first requires a CEA Subramanian K’s own non-official definitions of Thali (unlike poverty line or calorie intakes or Human Development Index) so, serious “FORMAL” MCQs CANNOT be prepared from his narration.
- Ofcourse, some private mock test wala will create stupid 2-Statements true/false MCQs from it like
Q. Find correct statement(s) based on the latest Economic Survey:
- A vegetarian thali is more affordable in Jharkhand than Bihar.
- Price of non-vegetarian thali have reduced across India, except Bihar and Maharashtra.
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
Yes, CEA Subramanian K. has listed some scheme names like Food Security Act, Soil Health Card etc. but you’ve to prepare those Government schemes, even if he had not written this chapter!
✍️Mains Mock Questions this chapter
- Only questions ‘LOADED’ with Modibhakti could be formed from this chapter. For example “Latest economic survey has found that the affordability of food has increased across India. Enumerate the list of notable schemes that have contributed in this regard between 2015-20”
?Interview Mock Questions this chapter
- As per the latest economic survey, the price of a Thali is More / LESS affordable in <INSERT YOUR HOMESTATE> than in <Insert Neighbouring State>. Could you explain this contrast?
- Food is not just an end in itself but also an essential ingredient in the growth of human capital and therefore important for national wealth creation.
- SDG goal 2 requires India to eliminate hunger. It’s also indirectly relevant for Goal 1 (No poverty), Goal 4 (Quality Education), Goal 5 (Gender equality), Goal 12 (Responsible consumption and production), Goal 13 (Climate action) and Goal 15 (Life on Land).
- In this regard, Affordability of Thalis has improved the welfare of the common persons and will go a long way for achievement of SDGs.
Mrunal’s BhaktinomicsTM Index aims to measure CEA Subramanian K.’s MODI Bhakti in each chapter of Economic Survey 2019-20.
- Modi Bhakti: ?????
- UPSC Relevance: ??????????
- Total Pages: 25. Out of them 17 are wasted in just useless GRAPHS
- Some indirect interpretations given ‘between the lines’ are even problematic. For example a graph on page 273 shows that A worker residing in Jammu Kashmir, Bihar, Telangana or Assam will have to pay more than 100% of his daily wages to buy a non-vegetarian thali. So, by showing this graph, is CEA Subramanian K. indirectly trying to hint that “in such Muslim-dominated regions, the demand of non-veg food is greater than its supply and hence the high level of prices!? Therefore people should convert to vegetarianism!”
- आर्थिक सर्वेक्षण का यह एक गैर-परीक्षालक्षी चैप्टर है. सिर्फ पन्ने भरने के लिए और परोक्ष रूप से मोदी सरकार के गुणगान गाने के लिए इसे लिखा गया है.
- CEA Subramanian K. सिर्फ यह जताना चाहते हैं कि मोदी सरकार आने पर भोजन की थाली पहले से सस्ती हुई है, यानी कि कांग्रेस सरकार निकम्मी थी.
- यदि यह बात सही भी हो तो भी इस चैप्टर की नोट्स बनाना या इसकी प्रिंटआउट निकालना बुद्धि और कागज दोनों की बर्बादी मानी जाएगी. क्योंकि UPSC exam point of view से इसमें कोई खास माल है नहीं.
Anyways , stay tuned for the remaining chapters
You are best sir , please start this website again . Your platform is trusted by more people than any other platforms. Other platforms are becoming hoch poch . Thanku
Thank u sir
jabardast hai guru g
mere ko ek baat to samajh aa gayee meri economy aap he paar lagaoge
Thank you sir….. for guiding us constantly….. your selfless efforts help us to understand the real matter …… otherwise I sometimes beat around the bush and fail to catch the real substance……
Sir thank you very much….
And please don’t see negative comments on FB by anonymous people… and keep up your great work…..as you always say….be focused
Thanks for the way you are contributing to the society
sir prelims paper 2 needs your analysis for non -engineering students like me.
hope my comment will be read by mrunal sir
Thank you sir for your guidance. CEA Subarmanian K has gone to the extent of comparing the economic progress in UPA era vs Modi raj. The gist of economic survey has to be ” Modi ke aane se ram raj praja sukhi ho gayi hai”
Sir , do we have to go through the full survey or your summary can suffice the preparation for pre 2020.
Thank you sir for your selfless effort to aspirant.
thank you sir.
Thanks sir :-)
You saved our time and energy that would have been wasted in rsading this chapter.
The critical evaluation i need?
Blessings to you Sir! What an extraordinarily innovative way of teaching :) This chapter = “Modi-raj is Ram-raj jahan amrit ki nadiyan behti hain, sone ki chidiya udhti hai, paani maango toh doodh milta hai”
Kindly restart your own mrunal.org. students really need that. Its abt the simple n clear presentation n easy access. After n all you are running the eco survey series.
superb analysis please continue
kya baat hai..