- What is nuclear security?
- Why Nuclear Security Summit?
- Seoul Communiqué
- India’s commitment to Nuke Security
What is nuclear security?
Nuclear security is a series of preemptive measures to
- Prevent nuclear crime (smuggling of nuke materials, nuke-terrorism)
- Prevent nuclear accidents (at Nuke power plants such as Chernobyl and Fukushima)
Why Nuclear Security Summit?
- Nuclear terrorism cannot be addressed by a single nation- international cooperation is necessary.
- First Nuclear Security Summit, was held in Washington in 2010.
- Second Nuke security Summit was held in Seoul (South Korea) in 2012.
- 53 countries including the P5 nations (nuclear weapons states) and states not party to the NPT, such as India, Pakistan, and Israel.
- UN, IAEA, and EU
- Third Nuke Security summit will be held in Netherlands in 2014.
After the second nuke summit @Seoul in 2012, the participants agreed to do this- total 11 things.
Here are the important ones
Goodbye HEU and welcome LEU
- Highly enriched uranium (HEU) is used in nuke reactors and medical field but it can be used for making nuke bombs.
- Therefore, every nation should switch to low-enriched uranium (LEU) fuel.
- We’ll encourage the participation of industry, academia, the media, NGOs and other civil actors in the discussions on nuclear security.
- We’ll host the next Nuclear Security Summit in the Netherlands
- We’ll make voluntary contributions to the IAEA Nuclear Security Fund.
- This money will be spent to help the poor countries to upgrade their HEU plants into LEU plants and improve their security.
- Mohan said I’ll give 1 million dollars in it.
- We’ll increase the physical protection of nuclear facilities
- We’ll increase the protection of nuclear materials and radioactive sources during transport
- We’ll prevent the illicit trafficking of nuclear materials
- We’ll enhance the emergency response capabilities in the case of radiological accidents
- We’ll share information on persons involved in nuke smuggling via INTERPOL
- We’ll Build nuclear forensics capacity to identify the source of illicitly trafficked nuclear materials
- We’ll enhance cyber security at nuclear facilities and Increase the protection of sensitive nuclear security-related information
- We’ll improve the management of spent nuclear fuels and radioactive wastes.
- Radioactive materials are widely used in industrial, medical, research, agricultural purpose — their security is just as important to prevent and recover lost, stolen or orphaned sources.
- Otherwise, even the decayed and discarded nuke material can be used to make “dirty bombs.”
India’s commitment to Nuke Security
- We’ve donated one million US dollars to the Nuclear Security Fund of International Atomic Energy Agency.
- We are a member of the IAEA Commission on Nuclear Safety Standards
- We are participant in the IAEA’s Illicit Trafficking Database (ITDB), it disseminates information on confirmed reports about illicit trafficking and other unauthorized activities and events involving nuclear material.
- We also cooperate with the Interpol’s Radiological and Nuclear Terrorism Prevention Unit and the World Customs Organization.
- We enacted the Weapons of Mass Destruction and their Delivery Systems (Prohibition of Unlawful Activities) Act, 2005
- We are taking steps to minimize of use of HEU and upgrading our nuke plants accordingly. We have recently developed an Advanced Heavy Water Reactor (AHWR) that uses LEU fuel.
- We aim to establish an independent Nuclear Safety Regulatory Authority which will enhance oversight of nuclear security in India. (bill in parliament)
- We are party to
- International Convention for the Suppression of Acts of Nuclear Terrorism
- Convention on Physical Protection of Nuclear Material
plz guide us more on wassenar arrangement, australia group etc in this context.
plz guide sir for ppsc
hello, can u pls share some question papers of ppsc and pls also share the strategy for ppsc exam.
pls suggest some books for punjab’s economy , history and culture and geography…..
mrunal could you plz throw somelight on “interlocutors of J&K”..need,consequences…success,failure??
Third Nuke Security summit will be held in Netherlands in 2013.please correct it….all information is valuable.thanks !
Third Nuke Security summit will be held in Netherlands in 2014.please correct it….all information is valuable.thanks !
Mrunal bhai,der r some 10 to 12 bodies given in laxmikanth(statuatory and const.)i hve pol.science as my optional..each year in mains,they ask about one body for 20-30mks..they do not ask wat is in laxmikanth but relating to ‘how far so and so body have been successful i.e.current oriented..now there is a no material available in mkt with this regard..so could you pls help on this..??it will b a huge help..and pls continue you splendid work..it is really helping thousands..thanks in advance…
Same Laxmikanth has written another book Governance in India.
It has brief summery of all bodies (around 50+- Constitutional, statutory and executive).
But this book (Governance in India) provides only brief summery- like functions and formation of a particular body.
So, if they’re asking question about ” how far so and so body have been successful i.e.current oriented.”—
Now that is something you’ll have to find through newspapers/ searching hindu/indianexpress website and compile your own note.
IF NOT SURE ABOUT UR ANSWER ,WILL YOU MARKED IT OR NOT ..HOW MUCH CHANCE U WILL TAKE ..
Since it is conducted by UPSC, don’t take any chance in negative marking.
1. UPSC answer options are usually are framed in such way that if a candidate tries to guess answer, most of the time he’ll land in incorrect option.
2. heavy competition, even a fraction of mark lost in negative marking = can lead to disaster.
Sir, first of all I’m thanking you for these valuable informations.
Sir, can you pls post a topic relating to the N.A.M.2012 summit,Tehran
thanks mrunal sir ,, topic is crystal clear
sir my qtion is tht how to prepare for mains as regarding to writing tndency and how to prepare to pol.sci mains.
Sir, when there is IAEA then what is the need to set up another Nuclear Security Council… is it something like mahila bank ki ek feature add karnai kai lea you open altogether different bank, serving the same purpose… plz tell..