- Types of Buddist Buildings
- Buddhist Rock cut caves
|Rock cut caves||Ajanta, Kanheri, Karle etc.in Maharashtra (more details under next topic)|
|Viharas||Residential quarters for Monks.|
|Chaityas or Chaityagriha||This is the word used for
|Sangharamas||Buddhist monastery and school.|
Buddhist Rock cut caves
Q. Write a note on the Satvahana Rock cut caves (200 words) OR
Q. Write a short note on Buddhist caves in India (200 words)
Note: there are many Buddhist caves, I’m listed only a few good & easy to remember caves associated with Satvahan that way it can be “fit” into both type of questions.
Satvahana kings were Hindus but patronized Buddhism as well & built Buddhist rock cut caves in Western India, particularly the Pune-Nasik-Mumbai region.
Karle Caves, Pune
- Largest Chaitya-griha among all Buddhist monuments in India
- Has a huge lion pillars in front of Chaitya-griha. (only two caves have this design- Karla and Kanheri)
- stupa has cylindrical drum shape
- Octagone shaped pillars behind Stupa, without any decoration
- Second largest Chaityagriha in India, after Karle caves.
- Lion Pillars at the Entrance. (Just like Karle caves)
- Podhis: water cisterns for rainwater harvesting
- Images of both Standing Buddha and sitting Buddha flanked by Bodhisattvas
- Famous Satvahan king Gautamiputra Satakarni’s name mentioned in the inscriptions here.
- Vihara for resting monks with rock cut seats and benches.
- Hinayana faith
- has Wooden ceiling over Chaitya-griha.
- Stupa has a hole on top, for inserting wooden umbrella.
- Verandaha has wooden reliefs showing royal women driving chariots over a demon.
- Also known as Pandava’s caves
- Inscriptions mention King Gautamiputra Satakarni’s mother Gautami Balasri had financed the construction of third cave.
- Contains a panel depicting Buddha’s Mahaparinirvana
- Carved on a Horse shoe shaped rock pillar
- Paintings depict Jataka stories.
- Cave no. 9 and 10 attributed to Satvahan Kings
- Hieun Tsang did not visit them but mentioned in his journal.
Visit Mrunal.org/HISTORY for entire Archive of History-Culture related articles published so far.
tell me about pasupat sect?