- What is 118th Constitutional Amendment Bill, 2012?
- What is Article 371?
- What is Article 371-J?
- What is Domicile requirement?
- Where do Domicile requirements apply?
What is 118th Constitutional Amendment Bill, 2012?
- It seeks to amend Article 371 of the Constitution of India.
- to insert a new article 371-J.
What is Article 371?
- Falls under Part 21 of Indian Constitution (Temporary, Transitional and Special Provisions).
- Article 371 and its sub-articles, deal with special provisions for Assam, Nagaland, Gujarat, Maharashtra etc. Usually, they are about establishing special Development board for the particular backward regions to grant more funds, and/or reservation in local Government jobs-colleges etc.
- For example Article 371 (D), Telengana region has a provision of local cadres for reservation in direct recruitment and admission to educational institutions and setting up of an administrative tribunal. (Domicile requirement/ ‘sons of soil’ policy in education and employment)
- Has been amended many times, to include new articles, for example
What is Article 371-J?
- It’ll grant special status to six backward districts of Hyderabad-Karnataka region to
- Establish a separate Development Board
- This board will see that sufficient funds are allocated for Development of the region.
- Local reservation in education and Government-jobs (Domicile requirement.)
What is Domicile requirement?
Domicile means you must be a resident of the given area for getting college admission, job, land purchase, fighting elections etc.
Where do Domicile requirements apply?
- Jammu and Kashmir- outsider cannot purchase land.
- Similar provisions for Scheduled and tribal Areas (5th and 6th Schedule of Indian Constitution)
- Recruitment in Army for below-officer ranks. They’ve district / area wise vacancies and separate educational qualifications according to areas. For example Soldier (General Duty) minimum requirement
- Candidate should have passed class 10, if he is from Jaisalmer and Barmer Dists of Rajasthan.
- But if he’s from Andaman & Nicobar Group of Islands, he can compete even if he is merely passed class 8.
- Earlier, if you wanted to contest for Rajya Sabha election from a particular state, you had to be ordinary resident of that state (e.g. Mohan had to buy a house in Dispur to get the voters’ card and fight Rajya Sabha elections from Assam.) But then parliament amended to Representation of People in 2003 and removed this provision.
(^List is not exhaustive)
If at all there are no candidates selected under Hyderabad Karnataka quota for the given post, can the vacancies be converted into residual parent cadre? Kindly reply
My mother is from karnataka gulbarga district and my father belongs to telangana state sangareddy district sangareddy .Now my parents and me stay in sangareddy only can i get 371j article certificate because my mother is from hyderabad karnataka state
I am native Belagavi of Karnataka State. I have 371J certificate as I have stayed in Gulbaga and completed my entire education. Now my daughter intended to make her career in MBBS. Can she get 371J facility. Please confirm
I have completed my entire education in Gulbarga region which comes under 371J. I have got the Certificate to this effect. Now my daughter who is studying at Belagavi and she has not studied in Hyderabad Karnataka. Now she intends to get admission to MBBS through NEET 2019. Kindly clarify whether she is eligible to get 371 J facility.
Under which category this 371J comes under – 3A, 3B, 2A, 2B or any other?