- Handloom vs Handicraft?
- Why Handloom Mark?
- What is Handloom Mark?
- Social Security for Handloom n Handicraft?
- Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana
- Health Insurance Scheme (HIS) for weavers
- Special schemes?
- Problems faced by Handicraft and Handloom
- Reform, New suggestions
- Mock Questions for UPSC Civil Service Exam
Handloom vs Handicraft?
Textile ministry looks after both sectors via
- Office of the Development Commissioiner for Handlooms.
- Office of the Development Commissioner for Handicrafts.
Why Handloom Mark?
- Thanks to technological developments, the handloom products are being increasingly replicated on power looms at a much lower cost.
- Then “economy of scales” comes into picture (= If you produce something at mass-scale then cost price of each product unit will decrease).
- Therefore, a power loom can sell the products at much lower selling price and yet keep good profit margin compared to a small time handloom weaver.
What is the solution?
- Government came up with “Handloom Mark” system.
- This is being operated by Development Commissioner for Handlooms=> falls under Ministry of Textiles.
- A logo that can be stiched on every handloom product.
- It’ll serve as a guarantee for the buyer that given product genuinely hand woven and not produced using machinery /power-loom.
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad created this logo.
- This Handloom mark is in two forms
- If someone misuses this logo. E.g. a powerloom miller stitching fake “Handloom Mark” logos on his readymade products then he can be jailed and fined under Trademarks Act.
Anyways, let’s take a look @some other important schemes/programs for Handloom and handicraft sector.
Social Security for Handloom sector?
Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana
- Gives monetary relief incase of a weaver’s death or disability.
- Administered by LIC.
- Also provides scholarship for their children in class 9 to 12.
Handicraft sector has similar scheme under the name “Janashree Bima Yojana for Handicrafts Artisans”
Health Insurance Scheme (HIS) for weavers
- Weaver, his wife and two children, can get free treatment for pre-existing diseases as well as new diseases
- Administered by ICICI.
Handicraft sector has similar scheme under the name “Rajiv Gandhi Shilpi Swasthya Bima Yojana (RGSSBY)”
Special schemes for Handloom sector?
Technology Upgradation Fund (TUF)
- Run by Ministry of Textiles-> Office of the Development Commissioner
- It provides subsidy to weavers for
- Purchase of new machineries and equipments;
- Factory building and
- renovation of existing factory building
Integrated Handlooms Development Scheme (IHDS)
- form Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- Government gives you money for buying raw material + machines.
- training in weaving, dyeing, designing and business Management.
- Cotton yarn is the major input for handloom weaving. In recent years, there has been a phenomenal rise in the prices of yarn.
- main reason for this is the sharp increase in the prices of cotton.
- To solve this problem, Government launched this scheme.
- Here, Government helps the handloom weavers to buy yarn at the price @which it comes out from a Mill. (No middlemen eating commi$$ion.)
- Government organizes Special Expos, Craft Melas, Urban Haats and Marketing Complexes;
- Gives National Awards and National Merit Certificates to weavers and artisans.
- Holds seminars with professional designers and marketing consultants.
Handicraft: Babasaheb Ambedker Hastshilp Vikas Yojna (AHVY)
- Issue of ID cards to the artisans
- Supply of improved modern tools
- Training seminars
- Exposure tours
Problems faced by Handicraft and Handloom
- Raw material @reasonable price= not available. Government schemes work on paper only, due to infrastructural problems (roads connectivity etc).
- Cannot comepte with machine made products because of they lack marketing, Management and sales expertise.
- No synergy between Government agencies responsible for handlooms, handicrafts, khadi and the cottage industry sectors =kingdoms within kingdom=Inefficient utilization of resources. Some people get double benefits (Handicraft+Handloom) schemes while others don’t get even one.
- The role of women in the handloom industry is largely unacknowledged.
- Artisans still rely upon local moneylenders. They charge heavy interest rate, leaving the artisan in vicious poverty cycle.
- Although Government has made many schemes to give them loans via Scheduled Commercial Banks, Cooperative Banks, Regional Rural Banks, etc. But
- These banks donot have branches in remote rural areas, particularly in North East and J&K.
- Even where bank branch is available, the needy people are unaware of the schemes.
- They’ve to go through lengthy paperwork and repeated trips to bank-office, to get loan money= inconvenient for those living in remote areas.
Reform, New suggestions
Given by Planning Commission’s Committee, for 12th FYP
- Create a Distress Relief Fund, to help weavers and artisans during various crises such as natural or manmade disasters, severe economic distress and suicides.
- e-kiosks, a single-window based loan-clearance system via SIDBI and NABARD
- Artisan Credit Card (ACC) should be promoted.
- Pension Scheme should be introduced through the support of the National Social Security Fund.
- More funding for North Eastern Regions.
- Remove the artificial divisions between Khadi, Handicraft, Handloom etc. that compartmentalize administration of common sectors. Just focus on a unified ‘Handmade in India’.
- Social welfare schemes should be strengthened for ensuring better living conditions for weavers, artisans and ancillary workers.
- Women workers should be recognized as contributors and be included in various schemes/programmes in their own individual capacities.
- Financial inclusion and financial literacy support programs.
Mock Questions for UPSC Civil Service Exam
Q1. find Incorrect Statement?
- Ministry of Commerce has come up with Handloom Mark Scheme to increase overseas demand of Indian Handloom product.
- This Handloom mark guarantees consumers that their handloom products are environment friendly and have not used child labour.
- Only 1
- Only 2
Q2. Which of the following are correctly matched?
- Only 1
- Only 2
General Studies Mains Questions:
- Handloom Mark (5m)
- Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana (5m)
- Babasaheb Ambedker Hastshilp Vikas Yojna.
- Steps taken by the Government to protect and promote handloom sector. (10m)
- Steps taken by the Government to protect and promote handicraft sector. (10m)
- What do you understand by Handloom and Handicraft? Discuss the significance, problems and opportunities of these sectors. (10m)
now this is called “Current” Affairs !!
Good Info !
While I am trying to post something in Forum a error msg comes BODY IS REQUIRED what should I do ?and when I am trying to login with facebook account it ask again for password . .
I just tested, working fine.
The default “email-password” box won’t accept your facebook/gmail login.
You’ve to click on that “login with facebook” or “login with google” icons to get logged in.
apart from that, I suggest you use latest version Google chrome.
let me know if further problem.
I think answer is: B & A..
Is it Correct?
Read Amrinder’s comment below to know the correct answers.
1. C – Both statements were wrong
– Handloom mark can not increase demand
– Handloom mark is to guarantee that product is not from power loom (It is hand made)
-Both schemes are of Handicraft industry
your answers are correct.
Your articles are very helpful.. thanks for creating them!
answers are C and A….
I got clear picture on this topic.Thanks mrunal
Thanks .. Very useful
thanks for post articls
Thanks a lot Mrunal Sir
awesome article mrunal sir……….
the mark on the products will be HANDLOOM meaning they are genuinely hand woven…..arent these 2 things contradicting……where handloom means machine made………plz clarify!!!!!
oh…….i got it……aftr revising it….sry
Want to know whether latest year book has arrived or not? Can’t find on flipkart .
Do let me know please. Thanks.
cottage industries are really needed for a very bad economy since they help boost the local economy..
Very latest article straight from our very own blog
<img src="http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/natural-antibiotics/ “>
hey, are the powerlooms also provided with these scheme ?
THANKS MRUNAL’S SIR
thanks mrunal for the article
Mrunal sir you dunno wat u r doing…..
lemme tell u
u r making the future of thousands of students
Would you please post the LATEST government schemes list like Npccb etc for my ibps po exam plsss