[FAQ] Is My Foreign University degree valid for UPSC Civil Service IAS IPS exam?

SubscribeTips24 Comments

Mrunal's Economy Course

A Question asked by many readers:
“I’ve done graduation from foreign university. Is my degree valid for UPSC IAS/IPS exam or not?”

Yes, your degree is valid, but you need to get an equivalent certificate from  ASSOCIATION OF INDIAN UNIVERSITIES .

  1. Essentially, once you get your degree from the US or any foreign university, go to the High Commission of India in that country and get the photocopy of your US/foreign degree attested by them.
  2. Next, send this photocopy as well as your transcripts photocopies to the Foreign Degrees Evaluation Section at the AIU together with a demand draft of Rs. 5000 (that’s what they hold equivalent to USD 100).
  3. send photocopies of your matriculation as well as 10+2 certificates.
  4. Within a week you will receive an equivalence certificate from AIU.

    Alternatively, you may directly visit AIU in New Delhi. Present him the originals and a set of photocopies of degree and transcripts together with your matriculation and +2 certificates. Also, attach Rs. 5000 DD. You may be able to get your certificate within a couple of days in this case.

  5. The AIU has a big book which has a list of all the foreign universities recognised in India. If you are from a reputable US university, then undoubtedly it will be in that list. If the university is in the list, the procedure is fast. If not, then they will take more time to issue the certificate.
  6. Unfortunately, the AIU has not displayed the list of approved foreign universities online. It seems they bank on this information asymmetry to get the ridiculously high fee of Rs. 5000 for just an equivalence certificate. But all reputable US/UK/Foreign universities are there in the list.
  7. Also, problem of equivalence is more for degrees like Medicine and Law. If it’s engineering or other courses, it’s easy to get the equivalence certificate.
  8. It is difficult to say if UPSC accepts or rejects Mains forms in the absence of Equivalence Certificate. My suggestion is to just do one’s homework and follow the prescribed path to avoid panic and trouble if one is close to making it.
  9. Hope this information is helpful to all those studying overseas and hoping to appear for UPSC/Other competitive examinations in India.
  10. Also, there are no hard and fast rules. Different organisations make different provisions for admitting candidates. For instance, recently I appeared for RBI examination for Economist Position in their Department of Economic Affairs and Policy.
  11. They required a Masters degree in Economics for that. In my case, my Bachelor’s degree has an equivalence certificate. My masters degree arrived only recently from overseas.
  12. RBI was happy to just seek a photocopy of my degree and transcripts and happily established their own equivalence and issued me an admit card. So, organisations know that overseas candidates are coming back and applying for jobs as well. They are making room for allowing candidates to appear for these exams.

Ref: Self experience of member on indianofficer forum

Indian History Freedom Struggle Pratik Nayak

24 Comments on “[FAQ] Is My Foreign University degree valid for UPSC Civil Service IAS IPS exam?”

  1. I am planning to do Graduation in Fashion n Textile designing. Whether would I be eligible for Civil Services Exam with this degree?

    1. yes you are eligible.

  2. subscribe me for news updates

    1. If a candidate has done 10+2 and completed rastrabasha praveen examination which is equivalent to BA hindi.. Is he eligible to attend UPSC examination

  3. i have completed one sitting mode
    periyar university degree.
    it is valid for IAS examination?

  4. i have completed one sitting mode
    periyar university degree.
    it is valid for IAS examination?

  5. I did my btech from NIT Jalandhar.
    My masters is from University of pennsylvania (Foreign)..

    Do I need to get it attested ?

    As UPSC doesnt require masters degree.

  6. UPSC (IAS/IPS) doesn’t require masters degree. You only need graduation (33%) in any subject.

  7. I had done my +2 in 2003 and I had done my graduation in one sitting from shobhit university distance mode in 2014, am I eligible for UPSC CSE 2016, Please reply me urgenty. This is question of my life.

  8. I have gratuated from nit rourkela in 5 year integrated m.sc in physics. My institute provide two degree of b.sc and m.sc seprate . while writing the marks of graduation which marks i will provide.

  9. i am going to pursue my bachelor degree from university of Toronto, Canada .Will I eligible to do UPSC exam .

  10. I currently studying in (Management of the Commercial Units), France. I want to appear for UPSC examination in about 2 years but I’m still citizen of Indian. Is it legal for me to appear for it ?

    Please give me the answer for my future


  11. I am currently studying MBBS in Russia.can I write IAS exam in India without MCI screening test.please replay me sir.

  12. I am studying mbbs in china.Can i write upsc exam without pass MCI Screening test after i got my degree in china?.
    Thank you.


  13. I am studying MBBS in a Russian university
    I want to know that is my degree is a valid degree for upsc exams.


  14. Can I write ias exam, if I have degree from abroad?

  15. hello there,

    can anyone confirm, university of Greenwich united kingdom is eligible for upsc exam ?

  16. Can anyone tell me if we do undergraduate degree from any college which is recognized by abroad university valid for upsc exam

  17. i am plan to write IAS exam. whether accept london school of economics (LSE) Degree

  18. is german bsc in enginnering applicabe for upsc?

  19. Please reply, my question is that which kind of i’ve to take for becoming an IAS officer ,please tell me its an humble request

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *