- Polavaram Project: Objectives
- Polavaram Project Authority (PPA)
- Polavaram Ordinance
- Anti-ordinance arguments
Polavaram Project: Objectives
Official name: Indira Sagar Multipurpose project
What are the objectives of this project?
- To interlink Godavari (Polavaram) & Krishna (Vijaywada) just before they merge into sea. (observe map)
- To Store water at Polavaram dam in West Godavari district.
- To Irrigate ~3 lakh hectre agricultural land.
- To generate 950+ MW hydro-electricity
- To Supply Water to Visakhapatanam & Vizag steel plant.
Timeline of Polavaram Project
- 1941: idea came.
- 2004: Andhra CM YSR Reddy revives the demand for Polavaram Project
- 2009: Andhra government requests the Union government to start this project.
- Union declares it a national project & puts it under Ministry of Water resource.
- Odisha & Chhatisgarh don’t like this. NOT ONE BIT. They got Supreme Court.
|Party||Why objection to Polavaram DAM?|
|CHHATTISGARH||Dam will submerge villages along Sabari river. (~800 ht.)|
|TELANGANA||Dam will submerge villages of Khammam district.Polvaram project won’t give any water to us.|
|EIA||Environmental impact assessment (EIA) says >250 villages and >1.5 lakh villagers will be affected.|
Case pending in SC, Taarikh pe taarikh. ok then why in news?
Polavaram Project Authority (PPA)
- May 1, 2014, Cabinet cleared proposal to setup Polavaram Project Authority (PPA) – for solving objection by other states and arranging investment for this project.
- CEO (IAS), Government of India will appoint
- Chief Secretary of Andhra & Telangana will be nominated members. [Later Andhra CM requested Modi to remove Telangana chief Secretary from this body, because entire project area now falls under Andhra only.]
- +Chief engineers from water, power Department
- Union is empowered to create such bodies under Interstate River Water Disputes Act, 1956. But it is not a “Statutory body” until parliament approves.
Polavaram Ordinance: Salient Features
- May 29, 2014: President promulgated an ordinance, to amend the Andhra Pradesh reorganization act.
- This alters boundaries between Andhra & Telangana. thus transfers ~250 villages from Khammam district of Telangana to Andhra Pradesh
- To help building Polavaram project. (these villages will get submerged)
- Telangana is opposed to this ordinance.
- Andhra state assembly passed a resolution, asking Union to create a new law on Polavaram project. (To replace that ordinance).
Arguments against Ordinance
- As per Supreme Court’s interpretation of Art.123, ordinance can be issued only in extraordinary situation. Polavaram is not extraordinary, government could put this matter in parliament after a week. (When President was making joint address to both houses).
- President cannot promulgate ordinance to amend Constitution. Only parliament can do so. On the same logic, Article 3 says “parliament, by law, can form a new state or alter boundries.” Hence this matter was outside President’s ordinance power.
- Even for the sake of arguments, let’s believe President has ordinance powers to change boundary. But even then he did not obtain the opinion of state legislative assemblies before doing signing this ordinance.
- This sets a wrong precedence, next time ruling government may alter bounders in the states were it sits in opposition, citing Polavaram case study.
- This is not a Constitutional amendment.
- Every-time fresh reference is not necessary to seek opinion of the concerned state legislative assemblies.
Q. Which of the following state governments are officially opposed to Polavaram Project?
- only 1, 2 and 5
- only 1,3 and 4
- only 1, 4 and 5
- all of them
Q. Correct statements about Polavaram Project
- official name is Rajiv Sagar project
- Will build a dam in Khammam district, in Telengana.
- This dam will interlink Godavari, Krishna and the Pennar river.
- None of above
Q. In May 2014, President of India promulgated an ordinance related to Polavaram project. What was its purpose?
- Specifying the water and electricity sharing formula among the stakeholder states
- for Constitution of Polavaram Project Authority.
- Transferring villages from Andhra to Telangana.
- Transferring villages from Telangana to Andhra.
- (Descriptive Question) List the Constitutional provisions of ordinance powers of the president. Narrate recent cases where it has been used. (200 words)
- What is Polvaram project? Why is it in controversy? should it be scrapped off?
- What is Polavaram ordinance? Why are critiques arguing that President’s ordinance power has been misused in this case?
mrunal when will you post science and tech for ias pre…..
Nyc compilation mrunal sir once again …
mrunal sir…agar aap iss site ko hindi me bhi run kare to mujh jaise hindi medium ke student ke liye bahut benificial ho jayega aur time bhi save hoga hamara aur samjhne me bhi…..plzz consider my request….i hope… :-)
Sir , prez can promulagate ordinaces in matters only where parliament can make laws and under article 3 parliament may by law can alter state boundaries ..so its within the ambit of president’s ordinance making power.
But you hav mentioned its outside prez ordinance issuing power….
Correct me if m wrong …
Thank you so much sir
sir ji wait…to be technically clear for the sake of pre exam and to avoid mcq blunders.
so it anti argument to ordinance do not say Prez can’t amend only parliament can.
As far as amendments go both houses can bring such motions and it only says both houses, there is nothing as to if prez can or cannot.
oh… so many grammatical mistakes,sorry this stock samsung keyboard without swype sucks
Kudos to Miss Solanki. Great work.
I like all post…,…..
SIR thank you for u great information
help me mrunal bhai
Ans of 5th qn is A.
sir can u plz chech the MCQ and their solutions that u have given…again
Q5 and its solution is not matching ……
Thank you brother
ans is option A..but it is given C int the solution
I sometimes see Dwarf Gecko in my garden but mistook it for a lizard previously.
sir kya aab UPSC ME age kam kar dege
Happy Teachers Day…. Mrunal Sir :)
please gise tell me best book for science and tech
Extremely helpful, everything explained so nicely and in a concise manner. Thank u Mrunal Sir :-)
Sir please tell me about the when Govt follow the ordinance route , is that was necessary to follow ordinance route by Modi Govt to bring ordinance for land reform and insurance sector.
Sir, some posts are not opening … very sad!!!!!!!
Pls send me current affair for IAS exam…
sir send me some study material for upsc csat 2015
sir send me some study material of history for upsc main exam
sir I m confused
I have recently started preparing for upsc and m confused
which which part of ur article to study because
some parts have old data and tops of last year
so should I read out all or u’ll update new arrivals that I have to read including current affairs
Thank u very much sir for such a great support…and sir plz send study material for railway also…