- [Act 1] Shipping
Economic Survey Ch11. Energy, Infrastructure and Communications. Total four subparts
- Energy & communication
- Roads, Industrial corridors, PPP, Infrastructure problems & reforms
- Shipping, aviation
- Railways infrastructure
[Act 1] Shipping
S1: Major ports on West Coast
|N||Jawahar Nehru, Nhava Shewa||MH (2)|
|N||Mormugao. Tidal Port, @Zuvari estuary, iron-ore export||Goa (1)|
|A||New Mangalore. Deep water, all weather||Karnataka(1)|
|N||Cochin/Kochi. Willingdon island||Kerala(1)|
|Total Major Ports (West Coast)||6|
S2: Major Ports on East Coast
|A||Paradeep (manmade lagoon)||Odisha(1)|
|A||Chennai (all weather)|
|A||Ennore (private, under companies Act)|
|Total Ports East Coast||7|
- #Some books (Pearson, Pratiyogita) mention Chennai to be the oldest port, but sarkaari sites maintain that Kolkata is the oldest port. (Ref#1, Ref#2)
- CDS/CAPF randomly ask question whether xyz port is natural harbor/artificial / riverine- hence need to mugup.
- States with highest Minor ports: Maharashtra >> Guj >> A&N >>Kerala >> Odisha
S3: Economic Survey: Shipping reforms
- Main problems: ageing fleet, manpower shortage.
- While India made great success metro rails and airport infra. but shipping infrastructure has been neglected.
- India does not have world class ports.
- Third-generation ships are not able to enter the harbour. Their goods have to be offloaded in Srilanka, then sent to India in smaller ships.
- India’s port charges are considerably higher than in many developed countries.
- Port congestion, delay in turnaround, takes lot of paperwork to load/unload cargo, slow process of customs clearance, inadequate road and rail connectivity
- There is urgent need to replace our ageing ships with new ones. But Government-owned shipyards like Visakhapatnam are not receiving new orders due to global slowdown.
S4: Budget 2014: Shipping related announcement
- Will frame new policy, so increase employment, Indian shipbuilding and maritime transport.
- Sixteen new port projects are proposed
- New SEZs at Kandla and JNPT.
- Will develop Tuticorin outer harbor.
- Inland navigation: ‘Jal Marg Vikas’ (National Waterways-I) on Ganga. Between Allahabad and Haldia. Deadline: 6 years, 1620 kms, 4200 cr.
S4: TAMP: Tariff Authority for Major Ports
|Major port||Minor ports|
|TAMP decides maximum tariff charged by Major ports for cargo handling||
|Major port operators want TAMP abolished, so they too can raise tarrif and expand.||They can charge higher prices and re-invest profits to modernize further.|
S5: Sethu Samudram
- Old topic, Needs to be prepared again because NDA/BJP in power.
- This project wants to create a shipping canal between Palk bay & Gulf of Manner.
- Pro-argument: Will reduce time and fuel consumption. Improve traffic @minor ports in South-East India
- Anti-argument: marine biodiversity will be damaged + religious sentiments about Ram Sethu.
|Coastline||7517km (including A&N, Lakshadweep)|
Trade volume / value
|%||___ India’s foreign trade via shipping industry|
thanks a lot sir…. tussi grt ho
most sweet and simplified never………….. thank u sir…………..
Thank you Sir
Hi Mrunal. Congrats for doing a marvellous work.
On the sideline, I would like to ask you a favour. Can you include “About Us” or “Our Group” or anything of that sort in your webpage so that we can know the details of yourself and your core team. I can understand that you dont do this work for publicity. But, we, as followers of this site, want to know the details of the people who are helping us in a big way.
Exactly. It will be ungrateful for us to not be acquainted with Mrunal and his brilliant team.
I second that. “The Nation” wants to know :P
kapys, do not waste your time on this nonsense issue , focous on study because you are violating right to privacy of mrunal sir and his team and one more thing eat fruit and do not waste time on counting seeds of that fruit. thanks
sir will u post budget also
Mrunal guruji..m gerting problem in reading the aptitude section..there no mension from which article we should start..for e.g. in stdw topic..I hav to open all articles..and then guess which wil I have to read first..guruji plz make it user friendly..
Thank you very much mrunal guruji..
@ bhaveah…dnt get directly to mrunal apti….first choose topic from ur apti book,,, for exmple,,,RS aggrwal or sarvesh kumar or neodr ur havng..pick a topic goto mrunal undrstand the concept..then cm back nd do max prcts…its done.
WoW. Hats off to you Sir…..
Thank you sir..
Good work sir.keep it up
@mrunal Sir I have a confusion regarding exception of demand function i.e Giffin goods. Are these goods are established facts are mere conjecture. Because NCERT clearly mention that Price elasticity of demand is always a negative terms.But if we accommodate giffin goods than this law will be violated. Please clear my doubt if time permits.
No words to say …
God of UPSC aspirants !!!!
simply super sir
Superb notes !!!
What is the status of Central Information Commission?
Statutory/constitutional/none, please help
As it was constituted thru RTI Act, it is Statutory/Constitutional body.
Good morning sir.what is the differentiating factor between major port and minor port?is it the load that dey can handle or the authority which governs dem?
Itna sara yaad kaise rhega koi bta do..bht dukhi kr dia h iss exam ne
let’s be sanguine…..
may Almighty fill enthusiastic zest in us at the penultimate moments…..
all the best …guys
thank you sir
Can anybody please provide the info regarding ship breaking (Why? How? Why not all the countries?) ?
Hey Mrunal.. one doubt .With inflation , currency of economy depreciates ( loses its exchange value wrt a foreign currency )… As rupee depreciates , export increases as producers gets more profit now comparatively . – But a diff point-view says that inflation decreases the cost competitiveness of the product in the foreign market , so its demand of the product in the foreign market should decrease and thus , exports… plz solve the mystery …Plz elaborate..
It is so because the cost of your input has gone up due to falling value of your currency.This will, in the long run, lead to your product becoming costlier relative to other country’s thereby making yours less competitive.Hence demand for your currency is less.Also because of the goods in your country being costlier in relative sense, people would prefer importing leading to outflow of foreign exchange and further depreciation of your currency sucking your country into a vortex of crisis.
in this article, you’ve mentioned that Kolkata is the oldest port but last year you told that Chennai is the oldest.
read the (#)point given below that table.
very importnt point is that east coast has 7 ports while west coast has 6..
bt ncert says western coast are more suitable for making ports bkz of submerged