- Mind map: India-USA after Modi visit
- Strategic relations
- Economy and Trade
- Space-Science-public health
- Mock questions
Mind map: India-USA after Modi visit
Did not work out:
- USA invited India to join war against ISIS, but India limited its help upto intelligence sharing.
- Indian cabinet yet to approve 15,000 crore rupee worth US defense deals involving
- Apache attack helicopters
- Chinook heavylift helicopters
- Javelin Anti-tank guided missiles.
Economy and Trade: India-USA
|target= five times||$500 billion (but no deadlines)|
Joint vision statement called “Chalein saath, saath: Forward together we go”- Both will find mutually rewarding ways to collaborate in trade, investment and technology
Energy and EnvironmentNuke Energy
- 2008: Nuke dead signed
- 2010: Nuclear liability law in India. Foreign suppliers will have to pay money if nuke-disaster because of defective technology or equipment. As result, American nuke companies like GE and Westinghouse hesitant to invest in India.
- 2014: Modi meet, new “contact group” setup, to solve the issue
|PACE||U.S.-India Partnership to Advance Clean Energy (PACE).|
|PEACE||Promoting Energy Access through Clean Energy (PEACE)|
|UNFCC||Both will work for post-Kyoto agreement at 2015 UNFCC summit @Paris, France.|
Public health, Science, Space
|SWAYAM||Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds- online education program. Will offer post-graduation programs.|
|Space||NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) mission, to be launched in 2021. Separate article later.|
- 2015: India introduces visa-on-arrival for U.S. citizens
- Efforts to make United States’ Global Entry Program available to Indian citizens.
Overall: Modi USA visit
Modi Address @Madison Square, New York
- Indian diaspora has earned a lot of respect and great identity for INDIA in the world.
- America is the Oldest democratic country and INDIA is the biggest democratic country
- USA has people living from all parts of the world and Indian people migrate to all countries of the world
We got three precious things
|1.Democracy||not just the biggest asset but a hope of 120 million people|
|2.Demographic dividend||65% population under 35 years age. But skill Development necessary|
|3.Demand||world sees India as a big market for manufacturing and consumption.|
- Government alone can’t bring development. People’s participation essential.
- There were Freedom fighters before Gandhi- they all fought and died. But Gandhi turned it into a mass movement- everyone from a sweeper to weaver to doctor felt part of the freedom struggle.
- Same way, we need to turn Development into a mass revolution
- Every citizen should feel that they do their job best-will contribute to the nation.
|2015||PRavasi Bharatiya Diwas @Ahmedabad, Gujarat|
|Vision 2020||export nurses, teachers and other skilled personnel from India|
|2019||150th Birth anniversary of Gandhi. we’ll achieve 100% sanitation|
Achievements and initiatives
- ISRO’s Mars mission travelled 650 Million Km at Rs 7/Km.
- “PM Jan Dhan Yogana” we have 4 Crores New accounts, junta deposits ~1500 crore rupees.
- Make in India Program: attract forieng companies to setup low cost production units here, ease of doing business
- mygov.in where junta can give suggestions.
- New committee to strike –off outdated laws.
- Clean INDIA program, Ganga cleaning- because it provides livelihoods to ~40 crore Indians.
Note: Detailed table given in M.Laxmikanth’s Polity book-chapter on citizenship page 6.5 onwards. following, is just an overview:
|If you or your parents were Indian citizen once upon a time.||If your parents, grandparents or spouse were Indian citizen once upon a time.|
|Lifelong visa-free travel.||card Valid only for 15 years.|
|No need to register at any office. Doesn’t matter how long you want to stay in India.||If staying beyond 180 days in a single visit, you’ve to register Foreigners Regional Registration or Police station.|
- We’ll combine PIO and OCI. We’ll even cover spouses.
- PIO card-walla won’t have to report to police.
- US citizens can get long term visas to India
- US tourists can get visa on arrival in India
- Online visa and visa-outsourcing to reduce delays.
- 5 lakh NRIs contribute ~1 billion$ in taxes, to USA’s social security system. (~15% of salary)
- Many of them don’t have full immigrant visa and have to leave USA after 3-7 years.
- But as per US social security norms, if a person doesn’t work for 10 years continuously in USA, his social security contributions are forfeited.
- Since 2007, India trying to solve this issue by signing a totalization pact with USA. We already have such agreements with 17 countries including Australia.
- But Americans don’t agree, saying Indian social security system (administered by EPFO) is not compatible with their hi-fi system.
Why Modi did not pledge troops/jets against ISIS?Detailed article on ISIS later, this is just a newspaper editorial gist:
What is not possible?
- Sending Indian troops in Middle East = not going to happen. Because Iraqi PM said no to foreign troop movement.
- India can providing Fuel and Logistic support to American bomber planes. In 91’s gulf war, PM Chandra Shekhar did this, and was criticized a lot, by the opposition parties.
- But this time, ISIS beheading= everyone is outraged= less chances of criticism or vote bank politics, even if Modi agreed for refueling.
- But, USA doesn’t need India for fuel-logistic support. Other Middle Eastern states already providing that.
What is possible?
- Sharing intelligence and blocking IS attempts to enlist Indian Muslims to join their war.
- 40 countries already agreed for such help to USA. Modi agreed for the same.
Mock questions200 words each.
- Discuss the roadblocks that prevent the manifestation of “natural alliance” between India and USA.
- Write a note on Indo-US cooperation in the fields of healthcare, energy and space exploration.
- Evaluate the Strategic importance of Prime minister’s visit to USA in 2014.
- India has made a right decide by not sending troops or fighter jets against ISIS. Do you agree? Justify your stand.