[PIN-Dec-2014] Part-1/2: Bharat Ratna, National-International civilians & Committees in News
- Bharat Ratna
- 44th Winner: Pt. Madan Mohan Malviya (1861-1946)
- 45th Winner: Atal bihari Vajpayee (1924-)
- Sarkari People in News (SPIN)
- Governors in News
- Committees in News
- New Bank CMD appointments
- Civilians in News
- Dead in news
- Appendix: List of all Bharat Ratna Recipients
- Highest civilian award of India, started in 1954. 7th in order of precedence.
- PM recommends winner to President. At present, Maximum 3 awards can be given in a year.
- Doesn’t carry any money reward, only a certificate and a medal is given.
- Shape: peepal leaf
- Material: bronze and platinum.
- Front side: Sun logo and words “Bharat Ratna” inscribed in Hindi
- Back side: Ashok Chakra and Lion emblem.
44th Winner: Pt. Madan Mohan Malviya (1861-1946)
- Lawyer from Allahabad, Served in provincial and central legislature.
- Foundation of Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Hindu Mahasabha, “The Leader” newspaper.
- Moderate leader of INC, Four times President.
- Gandhiji gave him a title “Mahamana”
- Opposed separate electorate for Muslims under Lucknow pact of 1916
- He participated in 1st round table conference in 1930, later established Congress Nationalist Party to oppose communal award
- Popularized the slogan “Satyamev Jayate”
- Editor of The Hindustan, Indian Union and Abyudaya.
- Budget 2014: Teacher’s training program named after him.
- Malviya’s Birthday 25th December (same as Vajpayee).
45th Winner: Atal bihari Vajpayee (1924-)
- Born in Gwalior, Poet, Founding member of Bharatiya Jan Sangh and later BJP.
- Foreign minister under Morarji Desai’s junta government in late 70s.
- 11th PM of India. 1st PM to serve full term outside Congress party. [1996 to 2004]
- 1998: conducted Pokhran nuclear test.
- 1998-99: Opened Delhi-Lahore bus service, Lahore declaration for peaceful relations between India-Pak. Later Agra summit with Musharraf.
- 1999: Won Kargil war.
- 2001: Passed POTA act aftermath of December attack on Parliament.
- Infrastructure: Golden quadrilateral highways, connecting 4 metro cities, Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan.
- During his regime, Bill Clinton became first US President to visit India in 22 years.
- Vajpayee’s Birthday 25th December is celebrated as “good governance day”.
Sarkari People in News (SPIN)
||130th Foundation day celebrated. It was founded on 28th December 1885 with AO Hume’s help.
||Party with largest number of MLAs across India (total 1058). Congress is below 1000.
||Raghuwar Das (BJP), the first non-tribal CM of Jharkhand.
||PDP-BJP Government yet to form.
|Chief Economic Adviser
||Rajinder Khanna new chief of Research and Analysis wing (RAW)
||Prakash Mishra (Odisha Cadre) is the new Director General.
||Laxman Singh Rathore is the DG of Indian meteorology Department
||Chief Rahul Khullar says there is nothing wrong in Airtel charging extra money from customers for using skype & other VOIP services.
||Bureau of Indian standards: new DG MJ Joeshp.
Governors in News
- Uttarakhand’s Governor Aziz Qureshi has been transferred to Mizoram.
- Earlier Qureshi had approached Supreme court for Modi’s method of informally asking Congress governors to resign. Perhaps that’s why given this ‘punishment’ posting.
- Earlier: Governor of Meghalaya.
- Now: Governor of Uttarakhand and Manipur (additional charge)
|Keshari Nath Tripathi
||Governor of West Bengal AND Bihar (Additional Charge), Meghalaya (Additional charge).
Committees in News
|Justice GP Mathur
- Home ministry formed. Deadline: 3 months.
- To examine the need to setup an SIT to investigate 84’s Sikh riots.
- To oversee implementation of Rs.5 lakh compensation to riot victims.
- GP Mathur is retired SC judge.
||This DoPT Committee recommended online SSC exam.
||ISRO chief. Placed in Nature journal’s top ten list.
|Justice Shushanta Chatterjee
||Report about police firing on Opposition leader Mamta Banerjee in 1993.commission report says it was worst than Jaliawallan massacre.
- Meeting between Government and Bank CMDs for proposed banking sector reforms
- To be held on 2-3 January at Pune.
|Prof. Goverdhan Mehta
||UGC committee to formulate the National Higher Education Qualifications Framework.
- High level Committee on tax clarity
- Ex Chief Economic advisor in finmin.
||Home ministry formed expert group with DGs of CDAC, CERT, IIT-K etc.
|Justice Mukherjee commission
||In 2005, this commission said Subhash Chandra Bose did not die in a plane crash. In news again, because PMO refused to reveal files related to Netaji under RTI.
New Bank CMD appointments
|Indian Overseas Bank
|Oriental Bank of Commerce
||Kishore Kumar Sansi
|United Bank of India
PSU, Research bodies
||CEO Jawahar Sircar wants to increase Prasar Bharati’s reach online.
||S. Bhattacharya became CMD. Of Coal India Ltd. (CIL). Previously he was CMD of CMD of Singareni Collieries.
||Director RK Shevgaonkar resigned. Two conspiracy theories
- HRD minister Smriti Irani forced him to released salary dues of Subramanium Swami- who was a faculty in IIT-D back in the 80s.
- Shevgaonkar had opened an IIT-D campus in a foreign country without requisite permissions from higher authorities.
||Launched GSAT-16 from French Guiana. It’s a communication satellite to help brodcasting DTH TV signals. New Chief: A.S. Kiran Kumar
||Pinaka Mark-II rocket test fired. It has range of 60 km, can fire 12 rockets in 44 seconds and cover a blast area of approx. sq. 4 kms
||Terrorist takes Hostages in Syden café.
||World’s longest rail journey from Yiwu China to Madrid Spain- covering 13,000 kms.
||Vessel “Norman Atlantic” caught fire near Corfu island (Greece). 500 travelers rescued.
||Aceh and West Java areas. Over 35k people displaced.
||Shinzo Abe re-elected as Prime minister. (Liberal Democractic party)
- Country ravaged by floods while PM Najib Razak enjoying golf in USA.
- AirAsia Flight QZ8501- flying from Indonesia to Singapore, later found crashed in sea. (Air Asia’s boss Tony Fernandez is a Malaysian)
- New PM Sir Anerood Jugnauth
- Becomes first country in the world to buy Indian warship. Name of the petrol vessel is “CGS Barracuda”- built by Garden Reach, Kolkata based Indian PSU.
||Officially withdrew from Afghanistan.US Gen. John F. Campbell was the commander of joint International security Assistance force (ISAF) composed of NATO and US forced.
- Terrorists attack an army school in Peshawar, 132 kids killed.
- Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) chief Mullah Fazlullah responsible for this attack.
- Name of Pak.Army chief: General Raheel Sharif.
- President Putin visited India.
- Kalashnikov Company registered trademark for AK-47- including for toys.
- Salman Khan and Jacqueline Fernandez went to campaign for Mahinda Rajpaksha’s election Dec, 2014.
- But in Jan.2015, Maithripala Sirisena won. Earlier he was health ministry in Rajapaksa’s government.
||President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ordered mass arrests of TV-media personnel associated with his opposition Sunni Cleric.
||Parliament dropped “non-aligned” status, planning to join NATO.
- Richard Rahul Verma became US Ambassador to India- he is the first Indian-American to hold this post.
- Vivek Hallegere Murthy. 37 years old Indian American became the youngest and first person of Indian origin to be appointed as Surgeon general of USA.
Civilians in News
||Kailash Satyarthi, Malala Yousafzai finally received Nobel Peace Prize.
- Madan Mohan Malviya (Historian Ramchandra Guha opposed to it)
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Mathematician Anand Kumar’s initiative for free IIT coaching.
- Japanese media group listed it as “Top 3 pioneering education initiatives”
- “Hottest Vegetarian 2014” title to Modi and Rekha.
- People of the Year award to Jacqueline Fernandez (Actress), KS Radhakrishnan (Retired SC judge)
|Tashi Malik & Nungshi Malik
- World’s first Twin girls who climbed highest peaks in 7 continents.
- Hailing from Dehradun.
||Ashwika Kapur won Panda Award (=Green Oscar) for making movie on Newzealand’s rare Kakapo Parrot. Their official mascot is a bird named Sirocco- it even has a twitter profile just like ISRO’s Mangalyan.
||Readers’ poll for “Person of the year” for 2014- Modi wins.
||Became member of UNEP’s International Advisory Board
Dead in news
|Boobli George Verghese
||Ex-Editor of the Hindustan Times and The Indian Express
|C. Iyodhee Thass Pandithar
||Tamil Dalit intellectual. 100th Death anniversary
||6 December- Mahaparinirvan Diwas.
|Justice VR Krishna Iyer
- He was first law minister of Kelera under communist government in the late 60s.
- Supreme court judge in the 70s
- In mid 70s, Allahabad high court had found PM Indira Gandhi guilty of electoral malpractice. She approached Supreme court but Justice VRK refused to grant stay order- hence she declared emergency in June 1975.
- 80s: He retired and continued social service work in Kerala and South India.
|Nedunuri Krishna Murthy
||Carnatic Music guru From Andhra Pradesh Pradesh
||Birth anniversary of noted Karnataka poet. Famous book: Smashana Kurukshetra – talks about futility of war and inevitability of death.
||Indian-American photojournalist. Captured US visits of all Indian prime ministers, except Modi.
||Muslim Educationist. He was the last surviving ICS officer, and ex-VC of AMU.
||Died on 15th Dec 1950 in a heart attack.
||Noted mathematician. Birth anniversary celebrated as national Maths day. (22nd December)
Less important for exams
||first and only Muslim Chief Minister of Maharashtra in the early 80s
||Nazi officer who killed many jews during WW2. Died recently in Syrian patronage. He was close aid of Adolf Eichmann- the mastermind of Jew holocaust.
||Noted Bollywood film actor. Died in December.
|G. Venkatswamy ‘Kaka’
||Senior-most Congress leader of Andhra Pradesh. Died.
||14 year American-black teenager, who executed for allegedly murdering two white girls in 1944. Recent trial exposed he was innocent.
||former Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh. Dead.
||Tamil film maker.
||Oldest litigant in Babri case, dead.
|Poet Kodanda Rama Rao
||From Hyderabad. Naxalbari poet from 70s.
||Bollywood actor, 90th Anniversary in December, Google released a doodle.
Appendix: List of all Bharat Ratna Recipients
|1. C. Rajagopalachari. India’s last governor genral
|2. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. First VP, second President of India.
|3. C.V. Raman. Nobel winner Physicist.
|4. Bhagwan Das. Social activist.
|5. Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya. Engineer from Mysore.
|6. Jawaharlal Nehru. Three times PM of India from 1947 to 64.
|7. Govind Ballabh Pant. Uttar Pradesh’s first Chief minister.
|8. Dhondo Keshav Karve.Social reformer.
|9. Bidhan Chandra Roy. 2nd CM of W.Bengal.
|10. Purushottam Das Tandon. Congress activist.
|11. Rajendra Prasad. India’s 1st President.
|12. Zakir Hussain. India’s 3rd President.
|13. Pandurang Vaman Kane. Sanskrit Scholar.
|14. Lal Bahadur Shastri. India’s PM after Nehru’s death.
|15. Indira Gandhi.
|16. V.V. Giri. 1st Acting President of India.
|17. K Kamaraj. Tamilnadu CM.
|18. Mother Teresa. Nobel peace winner, ran catholic mission in Kolkata.
|19. Acharya Vinoba Bhave. Social reformer, Mangsaysay winner.
|20. Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan. Freedom fighter.
|21. M.G. Ramachandran. Film actor and Tamilnadu CM.
|22. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar. Read Mrunal.org/history for detailed contribution to India.
|23. Nelson Mandela. Nobel peace prize for Anti-apartheid movement in S.Africa
|24. Rajiv Gandhi.
|25. Vallabhbhai Patel. 1st Home minster and Dy.PM of India.
|26. Morarji Desai. First Non-Congress PM but couldn’t complete 5 year term. (1977-79)
|27. Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. 1st Education minister of free India.
|28. JRD Tata. Steel Industrialist
|29. Satyajit Ray. Film maker from Bengal.
|30. Gulzarilal Nanda. Twice interim PM of India.
|31. Aruna Asaf Ali. Freedom fighter.
|32. APJ Abdul Kalam.
|33. M.S. Subbulakshmi. Carnatic singer.
|34. Chidambaram Subramaniam. Agriculture minister in mid 60s.
|35. Jayaprakash Narayan. Social reformer
|36. Amartya Sen. Nobel Economics in 1998.
|37. Gopinath Bordoloi. Assam’s 1st CM.
|38. Pandit Ravi Shankar. Sitar player
|39. Lata Mangeshkar.
|40. Ustad Bismillah Khan. Shehnai player.
|41. Bhimsen Joshi. Classical singer
|42. C.N.R Rao. Chemist.
|43. Sachin Tendulkar.
|44. Pt.Madan Mohan Malviya. Covered in this article.
|45. Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Covered in this article.
Visit Mrunal.org/PIN for Persons in news, books-authors, awards and sports related current affairs for IBPS, SSC, CDS, CAPF, ACIO and state service exams.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
Can anyone provide me 2 years old economic articles’ link in this site…cos i was reading one 2 year old article about very basics of banking sectot it got me too much interested…no i cant fine that article…so friends olz help me…i ll feek great oblised..to u
M.S. Subbulakshmi died on 11Dec.2004 and not in 2014..think its a typing error.
error corrected, thanks for the update.
Thanx Sir…please also can u shed some light on the fact dat if somebody not having his 2011 upsc roll no. or registratn no…Though upsc itself has not cleared the air but still if u cud say something.please.
” Bharat Ratna, Highest civilian. 7th in order of precedence…”
Please Explain the ” 7 th in order of precedence”
Answer is in this wikipedia link.
hello sir, it is very important for me know about validity of character certificate. I have cleared UIIC AO and NIACL AO exams and at time of interview they are asking for 2 diff character certificates from person not related to me . I have a certificate from my college of graduation and PG, issued in year 2009 and one in 2013…Will it hold good today also or i have to get new one ? please reply ..if u could suggest me any other source to get it done? Waiting to get reply
i think there is no limit of giving max no. of Bharat Ratna in a year..in 1999 and 2014 GoI has give this honour to 4 ppl togather.
Santosh, thehindu says 3 people per year, so it’s written 3.
yes..3 people per year….
dear mrunal sir,
what does the hindu has this much validity?
* why does the hindu has this much validity?
K.Tripathi is also in charge Governor of Bihar
Keshari Tripathi also has Meghalaya charge (Jan-2015). see this Hindu-link. So total is W.Bengal +Bihar +Meghalaya.
“good governance day” is celebrated for only atal bihari vajpayee not for madan mohan malviya….
keshri nath tripathi give Bihar additional charge not meghalaya
He is holding additional charge of Meghalaya too…
sir i read that congress had not attended 1st rtc. So i think madan mohan malviya also dint attend it. Even in wiki his name s not mentioned in participants list. Pls correct me if m wrong.
Malviya was part of 1st rtc delegation. Ref: thestatesman
I wonder why is role played by M M Malaviya in founding Akhil Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha not been cited?!
was he not the same person ?
Please reply- what are Ping signals, recently in news in Indonesian Air Asian crash ?
Active sonar creates a pulse of sound, often called a “ping”, and then listens for reflections (echo) of the pulse. This pulse of sound is generally created electronically using a sonar projector consisting of a signal generator, power amplifier and electro-acoustic transducer/array.
thank u very much Rahul
K N Tripathi governor of [W.B , Bihar, Meghalaya]
K K PAUL- [ UK+MANIPUR]
Aziz Qureshi- Mizoram
Please Mrungal publish an article covering Narendra Modi’s ambitious initiative named as NITTI Ayog as its going to replaced obsolete Planning Commission.
Niti Ayog article is under progress.
Please put up some post for NITI ayog
Thanks mrunal sir for or lovely work
What is devolution of central fund to states?
From where I can search & study such material….
WBCS has included such topics in economics…
No book is providing such topics
plz follow ramesh singh INDIAN ECONOMY concern chapter.
@rahul, you must wright ‘chapter/s concern’ & not as you did. Thank you.
plz elaborate MAKE IN INDIA,DIGITAL INDIA, crude oil price crisis, dicreasing value of rupees against dollar….
Sir, environment, & internal security book sug.me
Time person of the year was awarded to ebola fighters not modi
i have applied for the post ACIO grII exam, sir i have no idea about this exam. sir can u please guide me
how to prepare for this exam and suggest me the correct study material.
Please update this: Dr. Radhakrishnan is now former ISRO chief, A S Kiran Kumar has been appointed as new ISRO chief.
mrunal sir pls send preparation tips and BOOKS for gs mains general studies
Who did attend 3 RTC.?
i have a doubt about NEER and REER i know both of them represent relative value of currency compared to foreign currency as a single index where we take weighted average of all currencies but then what is the difference btw them ?
REER=NEER (INDIAN CPI)/(PARTNER CPI), REAL IS INFLATION INCLUDED FORM OF NOMINAL.
Thank you sir.
Vajpayee fullterm is 1998-2004.not 1996 to 2004
i think there’s no need of this type article from civil service exam’s point of view.