- Intelligence Bureau (IB) had conducted written examination for requirement of Assistant central intelligence officer (ACIO) on 22nd February 2015.
- I’m preparing the topic wise ACIO Answerkey in four parts.
- First part: History and Polity MCQs already published
- In this second part, we’ll look at Economy and Geography questions.
- Since IB refuses to disclose cutoffs under right to information act (RTI), so not much point in dwelling into that. One exam is over then it’s time to prepare for another exam.
- 4 out 9 questions could be solved directly from Mrunal’s articles on Economy.
- Difficulty level: 5 easy and 3 tough Question- because they required command over trivial GK such as industrial GDP growth, state with above average sex ratio, income tax revenue as % of total revenue.
- Strategy for future ACIO exam: Budget-Economic survey should be the main focus. But then again, given this exam’s focus on dates-names-numbers type factual Questions, beyond a point, cost:benefit is bad.
Anyways, let’s begin solving the questions:
61. Government of India recently announced constitution of NITI Aayog as a policy think-tank replacing Planning Commission. NITI stands for
- National Institution for Transforming India
- It is not an acronym, but only a Sanskrit word for Policy
- National Initiative for Technological India
- New Initiative for Transforming India
Answer is #1 Mrunal’s article on NITI AAYOG. Infact it even had similar question mock-question about expanding the term “NITI”. This body was officially setup in January 2015, and the ACIO Exam was conducted in February 2015, hence previous budget and upto last one month’s current affairs, should be prepared for future exam.
69. The Gini Coefficient is a measure of
- Rodent population
- Migration rate of Guineas nationals
- Income inequality
- Ratio of coinage to currency note
Gini coefficient is used for measuring income inequality. Mrunal’s article on Economic Survey ch13
70. Which of the following indices is not considered while calculating Human Development Index (HDI)?
- Life expectancy
Housing not included in computation of HDI. Mrunal’s article on Economic Survey Ch13.
71. For the financial year 2013-14, what percentage of total tax receipts of the Union Government came from income tax collections?
- Around 05%
- Around 10%
- Around 20%
- Around 40%
Original budget statement: Rs.247639/Rs.1235870=~20% Ref: Annual Financial statement for the year 2013-14
72. India’s industrial GDP growth rate for the fiscal year 2013-14 (at the factor cost of 2004-05) is estimated to be around
0.35% as per Planning commission report.
73. As per Census 2011 data, which is the most populated metro city in India?
Census wise most populated city is Mumbai. Ref: Mrunal’s article on Economic Survey ch13- urban Development.
74. As per Census 2011 data, which among the following States has higher sex ratio than the national average?
- Arunachal Pradesh
National average is ~940 and Tripura has ~960. Ref: India 2015, Page18
75. Professor Arvind Panagariya was recently appointed as
- Chairman, University Grants Commission
- Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog
- Economic Advisor to the Prime Minister
- Governor, Reserve Bank of India
He is the Vice Chairman Niti Ayog. Mrunal’s Article on Niti Ayog.
82. Yellow Revolution in India refers to growth of
- Militancy in the north-east
- Oilseeds production
- Advertising industry
- Jaundice outbreak
Yellow revolution is meant for oilseed production says TimesofIndia
- It’s easy or tough depending on your taste for geography.
- Strategy for Future ACIO exam: NCERTs and LucentGK at minimum. In both 2013 and 2015 exams, hardly 5-6 questions asked each time so cost : benefit not very good beyond one point.
Anyways, let’s solve the Geography questions asked in ACIO-2015 Examination.
Q4. Oymyakon is generally considered the coldest inhabited area on Earth. Which country Oymyakon is located in?
This place is located in Russia Therefore, answer is #2. says Dailymail UK
Q7.During an earthquake, two places ‘A’ and ‘B’ record its intensity in Richter scale as 4.0 and 6.0 respectively. IN absolute terms, the ratio of intensity of the earthquake at ‘A’ to that of ‘B’ is:
- Each intensity of Richter scale is 10 times stronger than previous scale. Therefore, 6 Richter scale is 10 x 10 = 100 time stronger than 4 scale. Hence Answer #4. says Southern Illinois University
- As per NCERT Science Class 8, Chapter 15 page 196- it specifically says “an increase of 2 in magnitude means 1000 times more destructive energy. For example, an earthquake of magnitude 6 has thousand (1000) times more destructive energy than an earthquake of magnitude 4” in that case none of the answer choices match.
Q78.Which among the following is the oldest mountain range in India?
- Western ghats
- Aravalli range
- Satpura range
- Vindhyan range
Aravali is the oldest mountain range of the world and oldest among India’s mountain ranges. It emerged during Archaean era. Therefore, answer is #2. (India: comprehensive geography D.H. Khullar, chap 3: Physiography.)
Q79.Which among the following Indian rivers flows from east to west, eventually meeting Arabian sea?
Ans. Naramda flows from East to West and ends in the Arabian Sea, Hence answer is #1. Refer to Map 3.4 in NCERT Class9 Chapter 3, page 19.
Q80.Which of the following national parks of India is located in one of the north-eastern states? It is also a declared UNESCO world-heritage site
- Silent valley
Answer is #3, Manas Valley, as per UNESCO’s official list of natural heritage sites in India
|Natural site in India||State||details|
|Manas NP||Assam||Tiger, elephants, rhinosBiosphere reserve|
|Kaziranga NP||Assam||Great Indian one-horned Rhino|
|Great Himalayan NP||HP||Part of Himalayan biodiversity Hot spot|
|Sundarban NP||WB||Mangrove forest, Bengal tigerBiosphere reserve|
|Western Ghats||MH, KN, TN, KR||Biodiversity Hot spot|
|Koeladeo NP||RJ||Bird sanctuary|
|Nanda devi -valley of flowers||Uttarakhand||Asiatic bear, snow leopardBiosphere reserve|
Visit Mrunal.org/ACIO for more about job profile, training and interview-experiences (posted in the comment sections of old articles).