- CSAT 2017 Notification out
- No change in Age-Attempt limit
- No change in structure of the exam
- No change in the syllabus of the exam
- Can last semester student apply?
- How much fees do I need to pay?
- When will I get the hallticket/admit-card for prelims?
- Multiple applications by same candidate?
- Warning: Optional and centre
- OBC alert
CSAT 2017 Notification out but with less vacancies
- UPSC has released notification for civil services 2017 and forest services 2017 exam.
- 980 vacancies this time. [99 less than last year]. Therefore, less candidates will qualify for mains and interview compared to previous years.
- Last date to apply is 17th March 2017, 6PM.
- Online application link is http://www.upsconline.nic.in
- Apply at earlier because exam centers are first applying first allot basis.
- Prelim exam to be held on 18th June 2017. (How many days left- just watch the left hand corner green box of our website).
- Helpdesk numbers: No. 011-23385271/011-23381125/011-23098543
No change in Age-Attempt limit
- It is same as last year. Minimum age is 21 years.
- Age is counted on 1st August of 2017. i.e. you must not be born later than 1st August 1996.
- Candidate already in IAS or Indian foreign service (IFS)- not eligible to appear.
|General||32||6 [must not be born before 2nd August 1985]|
|SC/ST||32+5=37||till upper age|
|Physically disabled (Blind, Deaf-mute, Orthopedic)||32+10=42||
|J&K domicile||32+5=37||depending on above categories (Gen, OBC, SC/ST, PH)|
|Disabled serviceman discharged from duty||32+3=35||same as above|
|Ex-serviceman with five years duty
* specific condition on page2 of notification
|32+5=37||same as above|
Above relaxation are cumulative e.g. OBC candidate from J&K = 32 + 3(OBC) + 5 (J&K) = 40 years up age limit.
What doesn’t count as an attempt?
- Ans. If you applied in previous exam, but remain absent in BOTH prelim papers, then your attempt is not counted.
- If you fail in prelims, attempt is counted.
No change in structure of the exam
|Paper 1||Paper 2|
|general studies (GS)||aptitude / CSAT|
|Marks counted for selection in mains exam…yes||
|200 marks||200 marks|
|0.33% negative marking||0.33% negative marking|
|20 minutes for blind and locomotors disability||Same|
|English||300. Marks not counted in merit only 25% passing marks required.|
|Indian language paper (Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi etc. depending on your choice)||Same as above.|
|GS (mains) Paper1, 2, 3, 4||250 each x 4 papers = 1000 marks.|
|ONE Optional subject||500 marks.|
No change in the syllabus of the exam
- No change in structure or syllabus or number of optionals in the exam.
- For civil services Click to see this PDF
- For forest services: click to see this PDF
Can last semester student apply?
- Minimum education standard is graduation.
- Candidates from last semester can apply. Once you clear prelims, you’ll have to fillup a new form called “Detailed application form” to appear in UPSC Mains exam. With this form, you’ve to submit scanned copies of your graduation Certi / last year mark sheet.
- MBBS candidate must finish internship before interview phase.
How much fees do I need to pay?
|General Male and OBC male||Rs.100 for Prelims, Rs. 200 for Mains.|
|Female of any category||No fees|
|SC/ ST, PH||no fees|
When will I get the hallticket/admit-card for prelims?
- Hall ticket will be available online, usually 3 weeks before prelim exam. They don’t send it through post anymore. You’ve to download and take printout.
- If problem, contact 011-23381125/011-23385271/011-23098543.
Multiple applications by same candidate?
- Every time you apply, you get new registration ID (RID). you must preserve RID because you’ll have to quote it again in the Mains application form i.e. DAF form.
- If you applied multiple times (because of computer glitch, fee problem or xyz reason) then when downloading hallticket, you should use higher RID. Because higher RID corresponds to your latest application.
Warning: Optional and centre
- in prelim online form itself, UPSC will ask you to fill the choice of optional subject and mains exam centre. And later on they don’t allow to change it. (Because in the Mains-DAF form, same data will be prepopulated.)
- Therefore, make no mistake in filling up mains-optional and mains-exam centre.
To claim OBC reservation benefit in UPSC, you need TWO certificates:
- OBC caste certificate [under central list.] MIND IT: some castes are in state backward list but not in central backward list.
- Non-creamy layer certificate.
- Non creamy layer status depends on your parents’ income and property.
- It doesn’t depend on your income/property
- It doesn’t depend on your husband/wife’s income/property.
- If your mom/dad is government employee, then INCOME criteria doesn’t apply. (e.g. if dad is class3 employee, then it doesn’t matter whether he gets 6 lakhs or 7 lakhs. You’re still non-cream layer.)
Sir me 7month befor accident hua jisme me mere knee me problm ai h abi bi surgry hui h lkn me abi sitting lene me comfirtable ni hu kya mje centre me sitting acording to my comfirtable le skty hu
hi.. i have written civils prelims this year under general category. later i came to know that my caste is in OBC in the central list. is there any possibility nw to change my caste to avail the benefits as the results are not announced yet. plz let me know if there is a chance n give me information on how to approach UPSC
ANU.. I have same problem.. and from an authentic source I got information that we can apply in OBC for mains…I am even going to contact UPSC tomorrow! Pls let me know if you get some additional information!
Dear Sir, My name is Rajesh Gupta, I am 29 year old started preparation for cse 2018 batch n I am from teli-OBC community n my family stay in Mumbai from 1967 onwards, my question to you for applying cse 2018….which state Obc certificate is consider n helpful for me..u.p. or Maharashtra. Pls help me..my no.8652216958
In the new notification, I don’t see any 5 year relaxation for J&K domiciles. Is that done away with?
Hello sir… i had submitted my UPSC form sometime back.. but the pic i uploaded was not good.. and i have to reapply again with the same data … which one of my application will be accepted ?
Sir I fill up the upsc form
My 3rd attempt but I fill up the 3 attempted in form then from is wrong how to change
I want to apply for CSE 2019. But I am past the age limit. I remember you earlier had a post about criterion for OBC non creamy layer certificate for children of government employees with relevant DOPT orders etc. Could you please share the link?
My mother is a retired government teacher (retired as class 3) employee. The tehsildar is now refusing to give the non-creamy layer certificate saying that I am in government service (Group B) and my husband is also earning. The combined salary is more than 7 lakh per month.
I would greatly appreciate if you could share the relevant DOPT orders for the criterion you have mentioned above.