- What are Aichi Targets?
- Strategic goal A
- Strategic Goal B
- Strategic Goal C
- Strategic Goal D
- Strategic Goal E
Let’s recap what we learned in previous article:
Earth Summit led to=>
- Biodiversity protection: CBD (Cartagena+ Aichi+Nagoya)
- Reverse Climate Change: UNFCCC (Kyoto+ Copenhagen)
- Sustainable Development: Agenda 21, RIO+20
COP-10 under CBD
- The Parties (Countries) under Convention of Biodiversity (CBD), meet at regular interval.
- These meetings are called Conference of Parties (COP)
- 10th such meeting was held at Aichi precinct (district) of Nagoya, Japan.
- This COP-10 gave birth to two things
- Nagoya Protocol on Genetic Resources
- Aichi Targets for biodiversity
What are Aichi Targets?
In the COP-10 meeting, the parties agreed that previous biodiversity protection targets are not achieved, So we need to do comeup with new plans and targets.
|Mid/Long term||By 2050|
|Short term||By 2020|
- This short term plan is officially known as “Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020”.
- It is a a ten-year framework for action by all countries to save biodiversity.
- This short term plan provide a set of 20 ambitious yet achievable targets, collectively known as the Aichi Targets.
Aichi Targets= 20 targets, divided into 5 sections (A to E).
Strategic goal A
Address the causes of biodiversity loss
- Make people aware about the values of biodiversity
- Integrated biodiversity values in development + poverty reduction plan
- Subsidies which are harmful to biodiversity= and eliminate them, phase them out or reform them
- Sustainable production and consumption.
Strategic Goal B:
Reduce the direct pressure on biodiversity and promote sustainable use
- Reduce the rate of natural habitat loss + forest loss by at least 50%
- Reduce overfishing
- Agriculture, aquaculture and forestry in sustainable manner
- Reduce pollution and excessive use of fertiliser
- Prevent invasive alien species (non-native)
- Minimise the choral reflow destruction, ocean acidification
Strategic Goal C
Safeguard ecosystems, species and genetic diversity
- Conserve terrestrial and inland water, coastal – marine areas
- Prevent extinction of threatened species
- Maintain genetic diversity of agro-plants, domesticated animals and minimising genetic erosion
Strategic Goal D
Biodiversity benefits to all
- Safeguard ecosystems for women, tribals, and poor.
- Combat desertification and restore the degraded ecosystem
- Operationalise the nagoya protocol on genetic resources, via national legislations
Strategic Goal E
Participatory planning, capacity building
- National biodiversity strategy and action plans – update for participation
- Integrate the knowledge of tribal communities
- Scientific and technological knowledge sharing application
- Financial resources mobilisation
For additional details, you may refer to their official site click me.
plz tell me articles of CBD and article os UNFCCC
Surprisingly, Aichi Targets have not been taken seriously by the government of India and the state biodiversity boards are not taking much advertised biodiversity act 2002 to the level it should have been taken. In Rajasthan no good activities have been planned by the state biodiversity board. Now is the high time for village panchayats to safe guard their flora and fauna for the development of their own villages where the land is rich of natural resources. Only a strong political and administrative WILL shall help in popularizing AICHI targets for biodiversity conservation in the larger interest of the nation.
Hello mrunal sir,
In “strategy goal D” first point.. Why “women” r mentioned specifically.. Even in previous article “CBD accpts things” 6th pt. its mentioned” vital use f women”…
Can u tell me in wt contxt have “women” term been focused??
I just wanted to enquire that do you upload State specific data for state PSC ie If I am preparing for Uttarakahand state pcs I was in need of data regarding Uttarakhand so could you please upload regarding that
Or could you please guide about how to study State specific means studying about Uttarakahnd
pls explain bali action plan
Please upload articles related to current topic list…..
i am doing biodiversity and preservation of species course .and i was reading long term strategies of AICHI than i got these short terms of strategies and targets thnx