These terms are from The Hindu S&T, Nov.2012
- Cold Climate=Big Body size
- Migrantwatch and Seasonwatch.
- Bactrian camels and heavy-chain antibodies
- Ross Sea: Marine Protected Zone
- Lake Vida
- Hedonic Scale Method
- Mock Questions
Cold Climate=Big Body size
- For most species of animals, body mass increases the closer you get to the poles.
- The bigger you are, the more fat you can store to help you get through the winter.
- bigger animals have a smaller surface area-to-volume ratio, which helps reduce heat loss- a pattern known as Bergmann’s Rule.
Migrantwatch and Seasonwatch.
Two projects started by National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bangalore, (NCBS)
These projects are aimed at involving common citizen in scientific research.
|participants in this activity identify migrant birds and note down the first sighting and feed it into the online database: www.migrantwatch.in||builds up baseline data about the flowering and fruiting of trees, to work on climate-season change from ecological angle. www.seasonwatch.in|
Bactrian camels and heavy-chain antibodies
- Two-humped camel
- Found in cold deserts of central Asia. (China, Mongolia)
- They consume eight times more salt than cattle and have twice the blood glucose levels of other ruminants, yet do not develop diabetes or hypertension.
- They also produce unique disease-fighting proteins called heavy-chain antibodies, which interest pharmaceutical engineers.
Ross Sea: Marine Protected Zone
- The Ross Sea, located in arm of the southern Pacific Ocean in Antarctica.
- Ross sea is populated by seals, whales, fish, penguins and other birds.
- Environment activists want to create Marine protected zones (MPAs) in Ross sea= where fishing would be totally banned.
- in East Antarctica
- hosts some newly discovered microbes, 60 feet below ice.
- Thus proving that where there is water, there is life.
- Right now, the lipstick colores are made using artificial chemicals.
- These chemicals can cause allergy and even cancer.
- Scientists have now found reddish-brown spores in squid skin that can be used for lipstick colors.
- They are screening it for consumer acceptance applying hedonic scale method.
Hedonic Scale Method
- Hedonic Scale is used in food science, marketing research where the respondents indicate the extent to which they either like or dislike for a particular product sample.
- compound produced naturally by marine algae, currently under research.
- can be used for Treatment of stroke.
Q1 Which of the following is incorrectly matched
||UN project of Tracking human migration patterns.|
||found in Plant leaves, help in photosynthesis.|
||Project to build database of flowering, fruiting patterns in various seasons.|
- Only 1
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 3
- All of them
Q2. Which of the following is correctly matched
- Only 1
- Only 2
Q3. Which of the following is correctly matched
||It stipulates that animals at colder regions have higher bodymass.|
||Associated with Marketing research.|
- Only 1
- Only 2
yes,1.b is incorrectly matched
correct answers are:
plz mrunalcorrect me if i am wrong..
b,b,d..sir,i have bought compulsory english for judicial and civil services by A.P.Bharadwaj.would you tell me how to go thorough that book.which section shall i start with?
How come mass will get increased?
Mass is neither created nor destroyed.. it just converts from one form to other form :O
What about Carnosic Acid found in rosemary which protects retina from degeneration? not important?
hi mrunal.. i m preparing for civils could you please tell me about what to read in environment section for upsc prelims…
answer given in this article: https://mrunalmanage.wpcomstaging.com/2012/11/strategy-upsc-civil-ias-ips-ifs-service-exam-booklist-part3.html
c b d
Energy can be transfer from one form to another form, It cant be create nor detroy.
Sir,m again communicating wid u,i need ur advice..I’ve started preparing for PT 2013 in November’12.what shud b my strategy?and for mains,i’ve selected Pub Ad & Philosophy optionals.how should i prepare?m waiting for ur advice
start with this article
c b d
In 1937 German zoologist and ecologist Richard Hesse proposed an extension of Bergmann’s rule. Hesse’s rule, also known as the heart–weight rule, states that species inhabiting colder climates have a larger heart in relation to body weight than closely related species inhabiting warmer climates.
1.b 2.b 3. d
CBD = Conservation of Biodiversity
1st Q asked for incorrect match not the correct match. therefore answer is b. Option C is for correct match.