What is the Relevance of this issue with UPSC Mains exam?
- (GS2): Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
- (GS2): transparency and accountability
- (GS4): challenges of corruption
Timeline / Sequence of events
December 2013: Lokpal and Lokayukta act passed. Lokpal will consist of
- one chairman
- Four judicial members
- Four non-judicial members
2014, January 1: President gave assent to this bill.
2014, May week1: NGO-petition against Lokpal selection rules (Rule 10) in SC.
Problem with Existing Provisions (Rule 10)
|Search Committee||selection Committee|
|They’ll shortlist the eligible candidates for selection as Lokpal chairman and members.||Will decide the final names.|
|Search Committee will have 1 chairman + 7 members from following professional categories (total 8 people)||total five people|
|at least 50% members of search Committee will be SC, ST, OBC, minorities and women.||no such reservation|
||Selection Committee has two options
|Supreme court observed||(UPA) government replied|
|Selection process is made in such way that it’ll undermine the independence and autonomy of the Lokpal.||
June 15, 2014: Modi government began reforming search/selection rules of UPA government. Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) working on this.
Q3. Correct statements about Lokpal
- It’s 9 person’s body. Four of which, have to be judicial members and among them one must be an eminent jurist.
- Eminent jurist in the Lokpal selection panel is nominated by CJI.
- Law Secretary acts as the convenor cum member Secretary of the Lokpal search Committee.
- only 1 and 2
- only 2 and 3
- only 1 and 3
- none of them
Interview Question: What is the present mechanism for selection of Lokpal? Why did Supreme Court find deficiencies in it?