- Nobel Prize Theory
- Nobel Physics 2014
- Nobel Medicine 2014
- Noble Chemistry 2014
- Nobel Economics 2014
- Nobel Peace Prize 2014
- Noble Literature 2014
- Nobel 2014: Quick revision Table
- Nobel winners with Indian Connection
- Mock Questions
Nobel Prize Theory
- 1896: Dynamite inventor Alfred Nobel (Sweden) died. He left a fund to give awards in 5 categories: Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature, and Peace. Later 6th Category added: Economics.
- 1901: started. Maximum 3 persons can be awarded in each category.
- A person must be alive to be nominated.
- Nobel prize recipients are called laureates.
- Nobel prizes are announced in advance but actual medals given on December 10, the anniversary of Alfred Nobel’s death.
- They get medal, diploma, and 8-million Swedish kroner (SEK) = ~ $1.1 million
|All except Economics medal||fund created by Dynamite inventor Alfred Nobel, Sweden.|
|Economics||From Bank of Sweden (Riksbank)|
|Oslo, Norway||The Nobel Peace Prize given here.|
|Stockholm, Sweden||Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature and Economics medals given here.|
|Peace||For the peace and brotherhood of men.|
|Physics, Chemistry, Medicine||And they who bettered life on earth by new found mastery.|
Nobel Physics 2014
2013 Nobel Physics: sub-atomic particles.
BEE to promote LED:
We should use LED because they’re
- 50% more energy efficient than CFL
- does not use mercury, unlike CFL.
- Lifespan 4-5 times more than CFLs
- Uses 1/10 energy of an incandescent bulb.
- Yet produces same amount of light.
Challenge: high cost than CFL and bulbs. Therefore, Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) under the Ministry of Power, came up with following ideas:
- Give financial support to all states- to promote LED use.
- Under Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyuthikaran Yojana (RGGVY): Give LED bulbs to BPL families.
- Electricity distribution firms should sign pacts with LED companies. To supply LED bulbs at discounted rates to their consumers.
- For example BEE + EESL (a JV of PSUs) began selling LED bulbs to households at Rs.10 instead of MRP of Rs.400.
- The electricity distribution companies then repays EESL, over a period of 5 to 8.
- BEE will launch a labelling programme and awareness campaign for LED.
Nobel Medicine 2014
- 2013 Nobel Medicine: how substances move within a cell.
- 2012 Nobel Medicine to Gurdon and Yamanaka for iPS stem cells. Important because Modi during his Japan visit, asked Yamanaka to cure sickle cell anaemia.
Noble Chemistry 2014
- 2013 Nobel Chemistry: computer model to predict chemical reactions- to make new drugs.
now let’s check a Related topic from October week 2, 2014:
Relevance: (GSM3) Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology
- Indian scientists designed this microscope
- Using funding from CSIR – Council for Scientific and Industrial Research.
- Broad Spectrum Confocal Microscope can generate 3D images of objects.
- Uses Infra-red beams and patented crystal fibres.
- Imported microscope of this quality =4 cr.
- Desi microscope: ~1.5 cr.
Nobel Economics 2014
Jean Tirole (France)
- If Government doesn’t regulate private firms => Private monopoly=> new players can’t enter => lack of competition => high prices => market failure.
- Jean designed frameworks on how should Government regulate private telecom, banking, mfg. industry etc. without nationalizing them. How to prevent cartels and monopolies.
- Following his model, many developing countries began disinvestment and privatization of Public sector units in the 80s and 80s.
- Economics Nobel is given by Sweden’s Central bank.
- 2013 Nobel: How market prices of bonds/stocks/real-estate move.
Nobel Peace Prize 2014
Given jointly to Kailash Satyarthi (India) and Malala Yousafzai (Pakistan).
- Electrical Engineer from Madhya Pradesh.
- Head of Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA) — the Save Childhood Movement
- freed 80,000 children from factories, brick-kilns, carpet making and other bonded labour jobs. Even sustained attacks from local mafia while doing that.
- helped in their education and rehabilitation.
- Member of UNESCO group on “Education for all”.
- Wants the world leaders to include child-slavery abolition in Post-
- Has won Robert F. Kennedy International Human Rights Award (US) and several such civilian award in Spain, Italy and Europe.
- Government of India never gave him any Padma award.
- European Government nominated him for this Nobel Prize.
Only three people from India got Peace Nobel
- 1979: Mother Teresa
- 2007: RK Pachauri with Al Gore (climate change)
- 2014: Satyarthi.
Only two pakistanis won Nobel so far.
- 1979: Physics- Abdus Salam for subatomic particles
- 2014: Peace- Malala for advocating girl education.
Malala is youngest person to win Nobel (age 17). Broke record of Lawrence Braggs (25 years old, Physics noble-1915).
- She hails from Village Mingora, Swat Valley, Pakistan.
- Wrote a BBC-blog pseudonym ‘Gul Makai’ (2009).
- Advocated girl child education in Pakistan. Hence Talibans did not like it. NOT ONE BIT. so, they shot her in the head.
- Government sent her to UK for treatment. Currently living in Birmingham, crusading for education via speeches, books, and social media.
Malala has written following Books:
- I’m Malala (co-author Christina Lamb)
- Malala: the girl who stood up for education and changed the world (co-author Patricia McCormick).
Tokenism in Peace prize 2014?
- 2013 Peace prize given to Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. (OPCW)- Therefore still important for GS2: International bodies. UPSC occasionally ask stuff after it becomes “outdated”, same happened with Chandrayan.
- Anyways, back to the topic- 2014: Malala and Satyarthi got peace prize. Some people see Joint Prize to an Indian and a Pakistani- as a “symbolic-gesture” to stop the border tension.
- But Nobel Committee clarified, this wasn’t linked with India-Pak LoC firing at all.
- Malala selection done in context of ISIS extremism.
- Satyarthi was a genuine activist nominated by European parliament. (And not a Jholachhap NGO working with NAC or planning commission.)
- Both were less controversial than other contenders- Edward Snowden, Pope Francis.
- Nobel Committee’s message is: Hindus, Muslims, Indians, Pakistanis – all need to join a common struggle for education and against extremism.
Noble Literature 2014
Patrick “Modi”-ano (France)
- Novelist who write on themes of WW2, Nazi occupation.
- Famous book: “Missing person”
- 2013 Nobel: Canada’s Alice Munro for short stories
Nobel 2014: Quick revision Table
[slider animation=”slide” slide_time=”5000″ slide_speed=”600″ slideshow=”false” random=”false” control_nav=”true” prev_next_nav=”true”]
|Economics||Jean Tirole (France)||How to prevent monopolies and facilitate competition.|
||Child rights, child education|
|Literature||Patrick Modiano (France)||Novels on anti-Nazi, WW2 themes.|
Nobel winners with Indian Connection
|1902||Ronald Ross, born in Almora. Malaria research||Medicine|
|1907||Rudyard Kipling, born in Mumbai||Literature|
|1930||Sir C.V. Raman, Bharat Ratna||Physics|
|1968||Dr. Hargobind Khorana||Medicine|
|1979||Mother Teresa (Macedonia) worked in Kolkata. Bharat Ratna||Peace|
|1998||Dr.Amartya Sen, Bharat Ratna||Economics|
|2001||VS Naipul (Trinidad and Tobago)||Literature|
|2007||Dr. RK Pachauri (with Al Gore) for climate change work||Peace|
|2009||Venkatraman “Venky” Ramakrishnan – Ribosome||Chemistry|
|2014||Kailash Satyarthi – Child rights activist||Peace|
- Non-UPSC exams: trivial GK on winner vs nationality, winner vs category, facts from theory. Indian connection table.
- CSAT: principles behind LED light, brain’s positioning system, “match the following” winner with invention; microeconomics definitions about monopoly, oligopoly etc.
- IFoS Mains: They ask shortnotes about “persons in news” (PIN) so all winners and their contribution important.
- CSE Mains: indirect questions about LED / energy savings ; child-rights and child-education related laws/schemes/bodies in India; CCI structure function and so on.
For more persons in news (PIN), visit Mrunal.org/PIN
Anyone writing Mains 2014 with Economics as optional? Perhaps we can share some vital points.
Thank you sir
Thanks a lot Mrunalji
I had joined VISIONIAS test series for mains but failed to qualify for Pre.
If anyone is interested in buying the test series then please mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Total tests : 13 ( 8 full + 5 specific )
The test series is available online and if your are in Delhi then you can give at vision ias test centers.
price is negotiable.
Hi Random guy,
I am in Bangalore. How can avail vision ias test series ?
Dr. I need your help. I m beginner and little bit confused about coaching. I m a teacher by profession and I want to do a corresponds for prep. Is it right decision? If yes, then help me to find right place to get correspondence. Also I cannot leave my job.
Request: can u provide some help for ifos preparation? like books recommended for the optional as u have provided for civil service..
I’m following this blog since a month.im begginer and It really help me for my civil service preparation . Can someone please suggest some other blog that upsc aspirant should subscribe. I have opt political science. Expect yours valuable reply
Dear sir i am a beginer how should i start my preparation ….
Is geography a good optional for writing mains….plz tell
please clarify how LED Tvs are able to display white coloured images even without using a blue light emitting LED
i am really thankful mrunal team . it helps me more . further i would like to search mrunal again
Excellent work !!!
Please tell me about which books are preffered for scra(technical & non technical).specially for English.
I request you to please also review the Question paper of engineering services ( general studies portion) So that the share of static and dynamic portion and also the type of expected question and books to study can be known.
I’m a beginner and following your website for a couple of days.. It’s really helpful to understand points in comfortable way.. Thanks a lot for your work..
This platform is really awesome. Keep the good work going… All the best and Thanks….. :-)
Thank u mrunal sir for this awesome job…,
Does upsc is going to reduce chances for general catagory from six to four in near future as I have already used my two chances.so please provide me information regarding my question,so that I can plan my study accordingly.
Sir my folded hands Pranam to ur lotus feet.
Sir for environment and ecology. Base to current. Please guide me and tell me the sorce
Nice to know about you, following from last 2 month, learning nice…..thanks