- Nobel Prize Theory
- Nobel Physics 2014
- Nobel Medicine 2014
- Noble Chemistry 2014
- Nobel Economics 2014
- Nobel Peace Prize 2014
- Noble Literature 2014
- Nobel 2014: Quick revision Table
- Nobel winners with Indian Connection
- Mock Questions
Nobel Prize Theory
- 1896: Dynamite inventor Alfred Nobel (Sweden) died. He left a fund to give awards in 5 categories: Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature, and Peace. Later 6th Category added: Economics.
- 1901: started. Maximum 3 persons can be awarded in each category.
- A person must be alive to be nominated.
- Nobel prize recipients are called laureates.
- Nobel prizes are announced in advance but actual medals given on December 10, the anniversary of Alfred Nobel’s death.
- They get medal, diploma, and 8-million Swedish kroner (SEK) = ~ $1.1 million
|All except Economics medal||fund created by Dynamite inventor Alfred Nobel, Sweden.|
|Economics||From Bank of Sweden (Riksbank)|
|Oslo, Norway||The Nobel Peace Prize given here.|
|Stockholm, Sweden||Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature and Economics medals given here.|
|Peace||For the peace and brotherhood of men.|
|Physics, Chemistry, Medicine||And they who bettered life on earth by new found mastery.|
Nobel Physics 2014
2013 Nobel Physics: sub-atomic particles.
BEE to promote LED:
We should use LED because they’re
- 50% more energy efficient than CFL
- does not use mercury, unlike CFL.
- Lifespan 4-5 times more than CFLs
- Uses 1/10 energy of an incandescent bulb.
- Yet produces same amount of light.
Challenge: high cost than CFL and bulbs. Therefore, Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) under the Ministry of Power, came up with following ideas:
- Give financial support to all states- to promote LED use.
- Under Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyuthikaran Yojana (RGGVY): Give LED bulbs to BPL families.
- Electricity distribution firms should sign pacts with LED companies. To supply LED bulbs at discounted rates to their consumers.
- For example BEE + EESL (a JV of PSUs) began selling LED bulbs to households at Rs.10 instead of MRP of Rs.400.
- The electricity distribution companies then repays EESL, over a period of 5 to 8.
- BEE will launch a labelling programme and awareness campaign for LED.
Nobel Medicine 2014
- 2013 Nobel Medicine: how substances move within a cell.
- 2012 Nobel Medicine to Gurdon and Yamanaka for iPS stem cells. Important because Modi during his Japan visit, asked Yamanaka to cure sickle cell anaemia.
Noble Chemistry 2014
- 2013 Nobel Chemistry: computer model to predict chemical reactions- to make new drugs.
now let’s check a Related topic from October week 2, 2014:
Relevance: (GSM3) Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology
- Indian scientists designed this microscope
- Using funding from CSIR – Council for Scientific and Industrial Research.
- Broad Spectrum Confocal Microscope can generate 3D images of objects.
- Uses Infra-red beams and patented crystal fibres.
- Imported microscope of this quality =4 cr.
- Desi microscope: ~1.5 cr.
Nobel Economics 2014
Jean Tirole (France)
- If Government doesn’t regulate private firms => Private monopoly=> new players can’t enter => lack of competition => high prices => market failure.
- Jean designed frameworks on how should Government regulate private telecom, banking, mfg. industry etc. without nationalizing them. How to prevent cartels and monopolies.
- Following his model, many developing countries began disinvestment and privatization of Public sector units in the 80s and 80s.
- Economics Nobel is given by Sweden’s Central bank.
- 2013 Nobel: How market prices of bonds/stocks/real-estate move.
Nobel Peace Prize 2014
Given jointly to Kailash Satyarthi (India) and Malala Yousafzai (Pakistan).
- Electrical Engineer from Madhya Pradesh.
- Head of Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA) — the Save Childhood Movement
- freed 80,000 children from factories, brick-kilns, carpet making and other bonded labour jobs. Even sustained attacks from local mafia while doing that.
- helped in their education and rehabilitation.
- Member of UNESCO group on “Education for all”.
- Wants the world leaders to include child-slavery abolition in Post-
- Has won Robert F. Kennedy International Human Rights Award (US) and several such civilian award in Spain, Italy and Europe.
- Government of India never gave him any Padma award.
- European Government nominated him for this Nobel Prize.
Only three people from India got Peace Nobel
- 1979: Mother Teresa
- 2007: RK Pachauri with Al Gore (climate change)
- 2014: Satyarthi.
Only two pakistanis won Nobel so far.
- 1979: Physics- Abdus Salam for subatomic particles
- 2014: Peace- Malala for advocating girl education.
Malala is youngest person to win Nobel (age 17). Broke record of Lawrence Braggs (25 years old, Physics noble-1915).
- She hails from Village Mingora, Swat Valley, Pakistan.
- Wrote a BBC-blog pseudonym ‘Gul Makai’ (2009).
- Advocated girl child education in Pakistan. Hence Talibans did not like it. NOT ONE BIT. so, they shot her in the head.
- Government sent her to UK for treatment. Currently living in Birmingham, crusading for education via speeches, books, and social media.
Malala has written following Books:
- I’m Malala (co-author Christina Lamb)
- Malala: the girl who stood up for education and changed the world (co-author Patricia McCormick).
Tokenism in Peace prize 2014?
- 2013 Peace prize given to Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. (OPCW)- Therefore still important for GS2: International bodies. UPSC occasionally ask stuff after it becomes “outdated”, same happened with Chandrayan.
- Anyways, back to the topic- 2014: Malala and Satyarthi got peace prize. Some people see Joint Prize to an Indian and a Pakistani- as a “symbolic-gesture” to stop the border tension.
- But Nobel Committee clarified, this wasn’t linked with India-Pak LoC firing at all.
- Malala selection done in context of ISIS extremism.
- Satyarthi was a genuine activist nominated by European parliament. (And not a Jholachhap NGO working with NAC or planning commission.)
- Both were less controversial than other contenders- Edward Snowden, Pope Francis.
- Nobel Committee’s message is: Hindus, Muslims, Indians, Pakistanis – all need to join a common struggle for education and against extremism.
Noble Literature 2014
Patrick “Modi”-ano (France)
- Novelist who write on themes of WW2, Nazi occupation.
- Famous book: “Missing person”
- 2013 Nobel: Canada’s Alice Munro for short stories
Nobel 2014: Quick revision Table
[slider animation=”slide” slide_time=”5000″ slide_speed=”600″ slideshow=”false” random=”false” control_nav=”true” prev_next_nav=”true”]
|Economics||Jean Tirole (France)||How to prevent monopolies and facilitate competition.|
||Child rights, child education|
|Literature||Patrick Modiano (France)||Novels on anti-Nazi, WW2 themes.|
Nobel winners with Indian Connection
|1902||Ronald Ross, born in Almora. Malaria research||Medicine|
|1907||Rudyard Kipling, born in Mumbai||Literature|
|1930||Sir C.V. Raman, Bharat Ratna||Physics|
|1968||Dr. Hargobind Khorana||Medicine|
|1979||Mother Teresa (Macedonia) worked in Kolkata. Bharat Ratna||Peace|
|1998||Dr.Amartya Sen, Bharat Ratna||Economics|
|2001||VS Naipul (Trinidad and Tobago)||Literature|
|2007||Dr. RK Pachauri (with Al Gore) for climate change work||Peace|
|2009||Venkatraman “Venky” Ramakrishnan – Ribosome||Chemistry|
|2014||Kailash Satyarthi – Child rights activist||Peace|
- Non-UPSC exams: trivial GK on winner vs nationality, winner vs category, facts from theory. Indian connection table.
- CSAT: principles behind LED light, brain’s positioning system, “match the following” winner with invention; microeconomics definitions about monopoly, oligopoly etc.
- IFoS Mains: They ask shortnotes about “persons in news” (PIN) so all winners and their contribution important.
- CSE Mains: indirect questions about LED / energy savings ; child-rights and child-education related laws/schemes/bodies in India; CCI structure function and so on.
For more persons in news (PIN), visit Mrunal.org/PIN
I am in my final year of engineering, I have qualified the preliminary stage and the institute has agreed to provide me provisional/bonafide, I will obtain my degree in may-2015, so am I eligible to write mains by providing provisional/bonafide temporarily?? Any help from aspirants who are familiar with situation will be of immense help.
heartly congratulations….even i am in final year of engineering…writing next year…all the very best ……
Yes you can appear for mains.
sorry , u r not eligible 4 mains…
wait for uploading DAF…
becoz all docs r req before mains ..
Dear friend, before going to face main examination you must to have completed your degree.
Sir i m going to write mains dis tym nd my studies are going well except Ethics.. plz suggest me smthng how to approach dis subject or any book which i follo
Sir i m going to write mains dis tym nd my studies are going well except Ethics.. plz suggest me smthng how to approach dis subject or any book which i follow
I have cleared the prelim and now i dont know what to do for mains because i did not expect to clear the pre and had not prepared for mains.
better follow mrunal and few other good sites..instead of corrospondence course buy good books for preparation..will be more handy…
i m in the same boat bro…guess working hard and hoping for the best is the only alternative..
Thanks Mrunal for providing the information about Nobel prize for 2014
pak ko pressurize karne ke liye MALALA
and Kailash Satyarthi 4 Indian booming of 21st century
Following his model, many developing countries began disinvestment and privatization of Public sector units in the 80s and 80s.
kindly clear this line please..
I have filled pre dorm as general category as at that i did not have obc certificate, now that i have it can i fill the daf for mains as obc category.
Thanks. Need your help with sports
Please update sports pin for last five months
(Aggravating questions I’m interview, which will not be asked cause by then some other country will be attacked by some one else)
Q. Isn’t Malala over rated? She didn’t do anything expect being shot at.What do you think?
Q. Is Nobel racist ?
Q. Is Nobel motivated by western agenda?
Warning: Don’t start a comment war, don’t get angry, it’s a time bomb meant for you to diffuse not be wreck havoc. No one prescribes to this!
Jude, Ofourse Malala is overrated!
She is given half dozen prizes every year for last 2-3 years for same “achievement”.
I’m tired of memorizing the list. And her interview-answers seem too artificial and tutored for a person of her age.
here are other examples
2009-peace prize to barack obama.
2012- Nobel Prize (Literature) to Mo Yan.
These prizes let Norway to punch above its weight.
An interesting fact-the Mosers who have got medicine nobel are indeed a couple which is a rare thing in nobel.
In fact Mosers were the fifth couple to win Nobel Prize. Here are the other four:
1. Marrie and Pierre Curie
2. Irene and Freidrich Joliot (Irene was Curie’s daughter)
3. Gerty Theresa Cori and Carl Ferdinand Cori
4. Alva Myrdal and Gunnar Myrdal
Hey any one intending to join insightonindia test series? I am from kolkata . we can share the cost. if any one is interested please mail me at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call me @9836772700
Mrunal Sir! Nobel Peace Prize, 2007 was awarded to Al Gore Jr (former US VP) and IPCC (not Dr.R.K. Pachauri). Though I know that Dr. R.K. Pachauri has been the head of the organisation since 2002 but does that mean the award given to any organisation is equivalent to award given to that organization’s head, as an individual? Please reply.
Exactly..It was given to IPCC and not Pachauri..It’s a grave error.
Yes, you are right. It was given to IPCC . R K Pachauri took the awad on behalf of IPCC
Its not that …He was awarded the Prize .. he was the chairperson of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change …and any one is given any award for leading an organisation then the award should be given to him unanimously and he should owe that exactly.. …
Sir, please recheck. I guess Mr. Pachouri was not conferred with a Nobel Prize, he just received it on behalf of the IPCC being the head of it.
MRUNAL SIR UPSC KE MANA KARNE KE BAD BHI KYA MAI RTI USE KAR SAKTI HU?? AAGE KYA PROCEDURE HOGI (CIC OR HC OR SC).???
MERE MARKS 195 OBC . KUCH DISPUTED QUESTION KE ANSWER CHECK KARNE HAI.RESULT AANE KE BAD KYA USE RAHEGA ANSWER KEYS KYA.
You can file RTI, but, as per the notice they are not bound to answer it and they won’t until the completion of the process.
Any one giving hcs mains
with geography optional
hey i m giving mains of hcs……. but my optional is sociology……… r u preparing from chd??????
i m prprng from chd…… r u giving any test series smwhere??
hcs with geography+mechanical
hey vikram r u giving sm where test series for this??? from where??
reply to kr do yaar………… r u preparing frm chd??? i hv hrd that our mains will be delayed!!!!
mains of hcs nt upsc…… clarified….. do reply……..
sir , please help me ” RAJASVA NIRIKSHAK EXAMINATION ” ka form 2 din fill up kar raha huu but na to registration ho raha hai na hi payment get way open ho raha hai na koi help number lag raha hai aaur last date bhi aa rahi hai kya karu sir ????????
i am going to appear for ssc cgl2014 on 19 sept. so how many question should be attended to clear cut off (general) ???and i don not want problem for further procedure. so plz suggest
sir, rabindra nath tagore got nobel too including others, there nobel is not counted as Indian in your list, just bcoz at tht time, we didnt have the sovereign govtt of ours ??????? asking this might sound silly to few, but still asking.. ty in advance fr answering… anyone please
did he not return it after jalian wala bagh massecre
he returned his knighthood not nobel..your point is taken
aditya bhai phir ans. kya hai ?? why mr. tagore is not included in list.
yes…i am sick of this malala mania….she’s become the hannah montana of humanitarian causes…..enough is enough.
Nobel winner mr. Kailash satyarthi did his Engineering from samrat ashok technological insttitute vidishsa and he was worked as lecturer also.great achievement
Yes..I am also bored of malala every time..as if no none else doing anything.
And modi s not stopping coming up wid a new scheme ..slogan..and new list of grt ppl each day..which is adding onto the burden..
dt kid malala…i doubt she evn served those girls from swat valley evn for 3 yrz.. while c is sharing t nobel with a person who struggled gainst child labour for mre dan 20 yrz ie 3 yrz mre dan malalaz age… and the way she and her dad gave an interview once.. i feel lije both of them are from pakistan civil service..how diplomatic she z in her speech… its the hieght of prematurity… these usa campaignz aktly raise dz ppl above wat actualy dey do in real…n jst bcoz c had a bullet duznt mean she shud get a nobel else all doz humanitarian workers n cameramenz who riskz deir life evrydy dre in iraq to brng t happeninz dre to t world… like steven scotloff…david haines..james foley etc…
My mother’s surname is missing in graduation certificate. But it is all right in matriculation and 12th certificates. Do i need to change it on my graduation certificate? What should i use while filling Civil Services Prelims application form?
Certificates are checked during personality test. For such trivial things they ask for affidavit on stamp paper
can someone upload a sample DAF form?
to see how it looks like and start consultation with friends and family on filling them?
upsc uploaded DAF for IFoS..
Mains k liye kab tak k current affairs padne padenge
dear mrunal sir,
my question is regarding ACIO-2014 , please tell which date should be consider to calcuate age limit? there is no mention in the advertisement, so please reply at your earliest. thanks
@sushil kumar- For ACIO – date of calculation of age- 9 nov 2014 (last date of form submission)
Indebted we all are to the hard work you do. Thank you.