- G9/P1: Indian Geography: Mines, Minerals and Coal
- G9/P2: Indian Geography: Petroleum & Gas Reserves & Pipelines
- G9/P3: Nuclear Energy in India: Uranium, Thorium, Plants & Liabilities
- G9/P4: Indian Geography: Steel & Cement Industries
- These geography lectures are conducted by Ms. Rajtanil at Sardar Patel institute of Public Administration (SPIPA), Ahmedabad.
- On 4th April, continuation of the Indian geography segment with Mines and Industrial topics. Total ~2:30 hours but I’ve split it into three parts.
- PowerPoint of the lecture, available at Mrunal.org/Download
- Medium of instruction- Hindi.
- English version not possible for the moment, because faculties are required to teach at this batch, in Hindi/Gujarati only. Besides, same content is available in English in the powerpoints.
G9/P1: Indian Geography: Mines, Minerals and Coal
- Mines, Minerals and physiography of India
- Metallic- non-metallic minerals
- Energy resources
- Shield regions – chhota nagpur plateau and Dharwad plateau – metallic, non-metallic minerals source
- Rift valley regions- Damodar and Mahanadi valley – coal reserve
- Marine transgression regions – petroleum reserve
- 5 mineral rich regions of India: Northern belt, Central belt, South east belt, South west belt, North west belt,
- Meaning of pyala lakes
- Mineral reserves in India: Iron ore, copper, bauxite, Mica, Limestone, Chromite.
- Energy Reserves in India: Coal.
- Types of Coal and their properties: Bituminous, Lignite, Anthracite and peat coal reserve in India
- Problems of Indian coal
- Under-ground coal gasification: features and benefits.
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/nIjjh7sJjUA
G9/P2: Indian Geography: Petroleum & Gas Reserves
- Petroleum reserves and Sedimentary basin in India
- New petroleum exploration
- Petroleum refining industries: PSU, private, Joint venture.
- Natural gas reserve in India and LNG terminals
- Basin centered gas
- Benefits of Basin centered gas
- Pipelines: domestic and international.
- TAPI, IPI pipeline: routes, benefits, challanges
- Deep sea pipeline: Iran-India
- Russia-India pipeline
- Energy security in India- domestic & global challenges
- ONGC videsh: procurement
- Kelkar panel on energy security
- Strategic reserve of crude oil
- UPSC Prelims questions from this topic.
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/nxO-gIKruOE
G9/P3: Nuclear Energy in India
- Thorium, Uranium reserves in India
- Composition of natural uranium, Uranium processing
- Nuclear energy mechanism: Fission and fusion process
- Comparison: heavy water reactor and light water reactor
- Moderator in nuclear reactor
- Comparison: Light water and heavy water
- Issue with energy generation from Thorium
- India’s 3 stage nuclear plan by Homi Bhabha
- Pressurised Heavy water reactors of India
- Working of Pressurised Heavy water reactor
- Nuclear energy generation: Zirconium
- Uranium pallets and fuel assembly
- Sources of Zirconium
- Nuclear energy generation: helium
- Mechanism of moderator and control rod
- Re-processing of fuel
- Prototype-fast breeder reactor
- Thorium reactors
- Indian reactors and IAEA
- Kudankulam reactor
- India’s nuclear agreement with other countries
- Nuclear plant with foreign assistance
- Core raw material for nuclear energy generation
- Problems associated with nuclear-energy
- Nuclear liability law: arguments in favour and against, recent breakthroughs.
- Past UPSC questions from this topic.
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/UCeRZZVf9yk
G9/P4: Indian Geography: Steel & Cement Industries
- History of steel industries in India
- Location factors for steel industries: Raw material based, Port based, Market based steel plants.
- Major steel industries in India, their plants and resources
- Vishakhapatnam steel plant
- Mini steel plants
- Status of steel industries in India
- National steel policy 2005
- Indian steel industry: challenges and potential
- Indian cement industries- raw material and location factors.
- New opportunities for cement industries
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/ahMVbMDHr3I
Visit youtube.com/user/TheMrunalPatel For more lectures on UPSC General Studies.
Thank u very Rajtanil Ma’m and Mrunal sir for your efforts :)
In lecture G9/P4 it is said that Balimela HEP is in AP but it is Odisha and maintained by Odisha Hydro Power Corporation.
Bhilai steel plant not in MP. It iis in Chhattisgarh. madam aapne bahut sara mistake kiya hai place ko lekar
Like kodarma not in odisa, bokaro not in bihar .
Thanqq Ma`am, Wht a flowing explanation of such a typical topic. Beautifullll !!!
1. what is the largest iron ore production state in india?
2. what is the largest cooper production state in india?