- Summit#1: Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas PBD-2017, Jan
- Summit#2: Heart of Asia Summit
- Summit#3: BRICS: 8th Summit-2016, Goa
- Mock Questions for Prelims
- Since 2013, UPSC is back in business of asking current affairs related questions from IR/diplomacy, summits and conferences.
- So let’s check three notable events in Q3 of 2016-17.
- Theme: “Redefining Engagement with the Indian Diaspora“
- Chief Guest: Portugal’s PM Dr. Antanio Coasta.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award (PBSA) is the highest honor given in this summit. Total 30 NRI/PIO/organizations received this award. I’m not listing names because cost:benefit is bad.
|MADAD app and webportal||
|Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana||
|PIO to OCI card||
|Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra||
This much coverage sufficient for now. Besides, In GSM2- Mains exam, UPSC has not yet asked a single question about diaspora, since the change of syllabus in 2013.
|Time||Op-Name||Rescued Indians from|
|2016, July||Sankat Mochan||
|Raahat||Yemen crisis due to ongoing conflict between Government and Houthi rebels.|
|2014||Op. Lehar||Hudhud Cyclone in East cost of India. Navy.|
|2011||Op. Safe home coming||Libya|
|2004||Madad | Sea waves||Tsunami in Indian ocean.|
- Origin: Founded in 2011 Turkey’s Istanbul.
- Purpose: Peace and stability in Asia, with focus on Afghanistan.
- Members: India, Pakistan, Russia, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and various Central Asian neighbours of Afghanistan.
- Confidence building measures: using trade, commerce and investment. India leads this front.
- Cooperation with regional organizations– including SAARC, Colombo plan etc.
- Political consultation: through annual ministerial conferences. e.g. In Amritsar (2016).
|2016, Dec.||Amritsar, Punjab, India|
Pakistan’s Foreign Affairs Minister Sartaj Aziz attended.
Participants agreed on following:
- We’ve to combat terrorism and disasters.
- We’ve to promote investment via
- ACD: Asian cooperation dialogue (forum to coordinate among ASEAN, SAAR, GCC and EU – on financial matters), since 2001.
- CAREC: Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC). 11 Members- China yes, India no.
- We’ve to improve connectivity in the region. And we appreciate whoever is doing something for transport. For example
|Transport infra-project||Brief points for exam|
|Belt and Road initiative
and Maritime Silk Road
|Lapis Lazuli corridor||
|International North-South corridor (INSTC)||
Later on, India gave Mi-24 gunships to Afghan air force. This is the first lethal weaponry India has given to them.
- Originally started as “BRIC” (2006) but after inclusion of South Africa, it became BRICS (2010)
- 2015: Summit @Ufa, Russia
- 2016: Summit @Goa, India. Theme: “Building Responsive, Inclusive and Collective Solutions.”
- 2017: Summit @China, location yet to disclose.
- Usual bol-bachhan about cooperation for economic and science-tech etc.
- Happy that following things became operational:
- Worried about BREXIT, terrorism, corruption.
|On the sidelines of BRICS Summit, Modi and Putin signed fruitful deals such as:
|Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.||Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation|
|Five nations, listed above.||
|Founded in 2006||1997 (older than BRICS)|
||HQ: Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|8th Summit @Goa (2016)||BRICS-BIMSTEC summit- held parallel at Goa, 2016|
17th India-Russia annual summit, 2016
- Nothing special. Putin meet Modi on the sidelines of BRICS-summit, Goa.
- $25 billion pact signed to build natural gas pipeline from Siberia to India.
- 2011: Russian Indian investment fund formed. They’ll invest $500 million in National infrastructure investment fund (NIIF) + 500 billion in Indian infra.= So total $1 billion investment in India.
Q1: Find incorrect pairs Event: Chief Guest
- Republic day 2017: Crown prince of Saudi Arabia
- PBD-2017: PM of Portugal
- Independence day 2016: President of France
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 2 and 3
- Only 1 and 3
- None of them
Q2: find incorrect theme
- PBD-2017: Redefining Engagement with the Indian Diaspora
- BRICS-2016: Building Responsive, Inclusive and Collective Solutions.
- Both A and B
- Neither A nor B
Q3. which of the following are known as Girmitiya countries?
- Mauritius & Fiji
- Suriname & Guyana
- Trinidad & Tobago
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 2 and 3
- Only 1 and 3
- All of them
(हरेक प्रश्न केवल जो पढाया है उसी में से आये ये जरूरी नही वरना UPSC का नाम बदल के board exam रखना पड़ेगा!! And yes, this is also ‘current affairs’ because of Thalaivaa’s Movie “Kabali”.)
Q4. Which of the following is matched incorrectly?
- MCA-21: Corporate grievances
- MADAD: NRI grievances
- BHIM: e-payment
- PRAGATI: Union and state Government projects’ monitoring and grievances redressal.
- e-Nirvan: income tax
- None of above
Q5. The purpose of BRICS -GRAIN network is ___?
- Food security for the poor.
- Elimination of tariff and non-tariff barriers to Agriculture Trade.
- Establishment of Research infrastructure.
- None of above.
Q6. Lapis Lazuli corridor aims to connect?
- Afghanistan with India
- Afghanistan with Iran
- Afghanistan with Russia
- None above.
Q7. In 2016, which of the following summit was held at Hangzhou, China
- Heart of Asia summit
- BRICS summit
- Shanghai cooperation organization (SCO) summit.
- G20 summit.
Q8. In 2016, president Pranab Mukhrjee unveiled statue of Gandhi in Accra university. But later on students began Dharna-pradarshan to remove this statue for alleged racist remarks by Gandhi. This university is located in ___
- S. Africa
Q9. ___ is the latest country to leave International criminal court in 2016?
Q10. EU Sakharov human rights prize for 2016 is awarded to ___
- António Guterres, Portugal
- King Bhumibol Adulyadej, Thailand
- President Juan Manuel Santos, Columbia
- Two Yazidi women who escaped ISIS slavers.