- [Act 1] Minorities
- [Act 2] SC/ST/OBC
- [Act 3] Physically challenged
- [Act 4] Elderly & social security
- [Act 5] Sports
- [Act 6] Defense: One Rank One pension
Economic Survey Chapter 13, total four parts
- UNDP’s Human Development report 2014, poor, women and children [coming soon]
- Demographic Dividend: Education, youth, Skill Development[coming soon]
- Minorities, SC, ST, PH, Elderly, Sports & Defense [you’re here]
- Rural and urban infrastructure [done]
[Act 1] Minorities
Minorities in India?
- Total six minorities in National Commission for Minorities Act 1992
- Population wise ranking: (1) Muslims > (2) Christians > (3) Sikhs > (4) Buddhists > (5) Jains > (6) Parsi
- NSSO Per capita Expenditure wise: Sikhs > Christians > Muslims > remaining
- Minorities are majorities in certain regions for example:
|Religion||Forms majority in|
Jains Minority status
- 6th and latest name to be added in central list of minorities. (2014)
- Although 11 states had already given them minority status- Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Karnataka, UP, MP, Rajasthan etc.
What Benefits will Jains get?
- Government cannot interfere in their educational institutions, temples and trusts.
- They can evict tenants from their community properties. Tenant cannot seek relief under Rent control laws.
- Eligible for Government schemes for scholarships, fellowships, free coaching for competitive exams etc
- Bank loans given to Jains will be counted under Priority sector lending (PSL) targets.
|They chose Abu Bakr, a close Companion of the Prophet Muhammad, as the Caliph (politico-social leader) of Muslim community.||They wanted Prophet Muhammad’s son-in-law Ali to be appointed as Caliph.|
*UPSC is not going to ask that in Prelims. But for interviews,you’ve to keep in mind that in Politics and Diplomacy, not everything is black and white, “Modi vs Muslims” has variety of shades so don’t fall into any leading-questions by the panel. Anyways, let’s move to schemes. I’m not dwealling into past schemes because most of them being “scholarship” type, no questions seen in recent times. Therefore, directly focusing on new schemes:
- Up gradation of Traditional Skills in Arts, Resources and Goods.
- Will provide skill Development, marketing linkages and support to minority artisans.
Some examples of Minority arts/handicraft:
- Muslims: Zardozi Embroidery of Lucknow- given GI tag in 2013. Zardosi is a Persian word for embroidery in gold.
- Sikh: Phulkari embroidery.
- Buddhists: Thangka paintings
|Hamari Darohar||to preserve rich heritage of minority Indian culture|
|Nai Manzil||to give Skill training Madrasa passouts, to help them find job/business in mainstream.|
|Khwaza Garib Nawaz||Maulana Azad Education Foundation (MAEF) will setup this Senior secondary school at Ajmer.|
[Act 2] SC/ST/OBC
First Census 2011 data and ranking
Areas without SC/ST population
Census counts SC only in Hindu. No religion bar for ST though.
|NO SC||NO ST|
|list made under article 341||Art. 342|
% SC Population: Top 5 & Bottom 5
|SC %: Top 5||Bottom 5|
% ST Population: Top 5 & Bottom 5
|ST %: Top 5||Bottom 5|
We can even prepare separate rankings based on “Absolute numbers”, “only states, no UT”…but then cost benefit declines because hard to memorize so much data.
So moving on:
- Previous schemes available at: wp.me/p2tsJl-1II
- Again, I’m not repeating them here because cost: benefit is bad. Majority of them deal with scholarship and finance corporations. In recent times, hardly any MCQs seen from that genre in any competitive exam. Prime study focus should be on Constitutional provisions.
- Therefore, let’s directly jump to new schemes
(SC) Entrepreneur fund
- Under IFCI [Industrial Finance Corporation of India]
- To promote entrepreneurship among SC – they’ll receive loans @concessional rates.
- Interim budget had given 200 crores, new General budget gave another 200 crores.
(ST) Van Bandhu Kalyan Yojana
NDA Government yet to work out details. But earlier CM Modi had launched a scheme with same name, in Gujarat. So let’s check the salient features of that Gujarat Scheme.
Officially called: Chief minister’s 10 point program for Scheduled Tribes
(ST) Minor Forest produce
|NAME||Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) through MSP|
|WHO||Tribal ministry, 2013 via Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED)|
List of Minor forest produce under this scheme
(OBC) JAT OBC status
- 2014: Jats were included in the central OBC list, thereby eligible for reservation in central government jobs and admissions.
- But keep in mind that OBC status depends on domicile.
- Therefore, only Jats domiciled in from following nine states are eligible: Bihar, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Rajasthan.
- National Commission for Backward Classes’ (NCBC) had advised government not to give them OBC status.
[Act 3] Physically challenged
There are many existing schemes & organization: ALIMCO, DDRS, DDRC, Jaipur foot etc. but as I explained earlier- cost benefit is bad. Still, if you want to check visit wp.me/p2tsJl-1JF
Adip (existing scheme)
|WHO||Ministry of Social justice and Empowerment|
|WHAT?||Money for purchasing aids/devices for Physically challenged.|
|Budget-2014||Will give fund for modern/contemporary devices.|
Visually challenged (VC): budget 2014
- India has world’s largest population of visually challenged people. More than 2 crores.
- Will setup 15 new braille presses, to meet demand of books for VC.
- Will modernize 10 existing presses.
- Currency notes with Braille like signs for easy identification.
|note||shape in the middle of left side|
- Current paper currency is printed on Cotton Fibre paper.
- RBI plans to introduce Polymer plastic notes of Rs.10
- Pilot testing will be done in five cities Kochi, Mysore, Jaipur, Shimla and Bhubaneswar– selected for their different climate conditions.
- Benefits: longer life span (5 years), difficult to counterfeit, stain proof, tear proof, cheaper to produce.
- Australia: first country to introduce plastic notes.
- Timeframe to introduce plastic notes: India (2015), UK (2016)
PH: New institutions (Budget 2014)
- Universal inclusive design institution- for construction of disabled friendly building, public transport and civic amnesties.
- National mental health rehabilitation institute.
- Centre for disability sports.
WIPO’s Marrakesh Treaty
- Copyright doesn’t apply IF book is reproduced for visually challenged (VC) people i.e. in Braille language, audiobooks etc.
- Even permits cross-border exchange and translation of such books for the benefit of VC.
- BUT with conditions: only non-profit purpose, have to get license from national bodies.
- 2014: India signed and ratified this treaty.
- more details on WIPO: wp.me/p2tsJl-1gC
[Act 4] Elderly & social security
- Existing Sarkaari Insurance schemes: wp.me/p2tsJl-1Dv. (I’ll cover Insurance FDI, PFRDA, NPS, Swavlamban etc under Chapter 5 financial intermediaries).
- Social security, EPFO, ESIC, factories act etc: wp.me/p2tsJl-gs
Let’s directly move to:
|Varishtha Pension BIMA Yojana||
EPFO reforms in Budget 2014
- Promised Minimum Rs.1000 pension per month, to all subscribers.
- All workers whose basic pay is upto Rs.15,000- they’ll have to compulsorily join EPS scheme.
- Meaning they’ll have to contribute 12% of basic in provident fund and their employer will also have to contribute 12%.
- Earlier this ceiling was 6500. Thus, now more workers will be covered in this social security net.
- “Uniform Account Number” (UAN)- so you don’t have to open a new EPFO account every time you switch jobs.
[Act 5] Sports
|Himalayan sports||Will host games to unique Himalayan sports; will Invite Nepal, Bhutan and hill states.|
Related: PIN-2014: Sports, venues, mascots and awards: wp.me/p2tsJl-2Dz
[Act 6] Defense: One Rank One pension
- 2006: UPA government modified pension rules for defense services
- As a result, a serviceman retiring after 2006 would receive bigger pension than someone retired before 2006.
- Even if both were in same rank and had spent same number of years in service!
- Therefore, defense personnel were demanding “one rank one pension”.
- Both Interim budget and General budget 2014 made additional funding for this.
Defense: Budget 2014 announcements-some fodder for GS3.
Related Topics (Click on the links)
- PIN 2014: Defense related persons / terms in News.
- Defense compilation for static information on various forces, missiles, weapons etc.
Once in a while, UPSC asks “human geography” question about Tribe vs location.
|Andaman: Negrito Tribes||Nicobar: Mongoloid Tribes|
Primitive Tribal groups of India (75)
Government calls them “Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PTGs)” (2006 onwards)
Finally, states with only 1 Primitive tribal group each
max % of sc… in punjab or in up??
USTAAD- shiko or kamoo
I hav one doubt.i am Jat Belong to Rajasthan in which Jats are in OBC category.i m Living in punjab since last 20 years where Jats are in General qouta. Can i Claim OBC quota in Central Govt Service on the basis of Rajasthan . One point is more that I hav agriculture Land & Property in Rajasthan & My Grandparents Lives in Rajasthan
Sir, Economic survey chapter number 5,6,10,11,12 are missing here. Please post it asap.
Thank you sir
sir the given above data are upto date then wht about newly formed state telangana from where i can get data sir please refer me sir
I am a beginner and I started preparations for CSE from Jan 2017. Till today i have gone through the NCERTs and economic survey.
Now my question is whether i need to watch your previous 85 videos of the economy, which you uploaded a couple of years back or the videos which you are uploading now along with budget and economic survey of this year are sufficient to cover the entire syllabus of prelims and mains(GS).