- 1995: Beijing Declaration & Platform for Action
- The 12 Key areas of Beijing Declaration
- What happened after Beijing 1995?
- 2014: Beijing+20 review meeting for Asia-Pacific
- India’s stand at Beijing+20 Asia-Pacific meeting
- Mock Questions
1995: Beijing Declaration & Platform for Action
- Since 1975, United Nations has organized 4 world conferences on Women at Mexico, Copenhagen, Nairobi and Beijing.
- 1995: The fourth World conference on Women, at Beijing, China led to “Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action”.
- It charted out 12 key areas for women empowerment and protection.
The 12 Key areas of Beijing Declaration
What happened after Beijing 1995?
|2000||5-years review of “Beijing platform for action”.|
|2005||10-years review of “Beijing platform for action”.|
2014: Beijing+20 review meeting for Asia-Pacific
At Bangkok, the ministers agreed on following:
- Migrant women are not given basic labour rights such as union-formation and collective bargaining.
- Gender equality is prerequisite to sustainable Development.
- We’ve to strictly enforce CEDAW- Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women.
- Many women survive on less than $2 a day. We’ve to solve this persistent feminization of poverty.
- At primary school, girl-students have increased but we’ve to ensure they continue till highschool and vocational training. Only then, education will improve economic conditions of women.
- We’ve to pay special focus to girl child, indigenous (tribal) women, and disabled women.
- Maternal Mortality ratio has declined in Asia, female life expectancy has improved. But challenges still remain: shortage of birth attendants, family planning, unsafe abortions.
- We’ve to stop the new cases of HIV infection among females.
- Age appropriate sex-education is necessary.
- The police and judicial officers still behave with gender-stereotype mindset.
- We’re worried about the rising incidents of sexual crimes, cybercrimes and domestic violence against women. Even medieval practices such as witch-hunting, honor-killing and genital mutilation are reported from some countries.
- Internet and Mobile companies need to ensure safety of women. (recall Uber-App Delhi-rape incident)
- Some countries have provided women reservation in local-political bodies. We welcome this. But still, women participation is dismal in parliament and corporate governance.
- Need to improve gender-budgeting mechanism to stop duplication of schemes and ensure accountability on money spent.
- Governments should help NGOs and grassroot organizations working for women rights.
India’s stand at Beijing+20 Asia-Pacific meeting
- Yes, our country has deep rooted gender inequalities in education, employment, decision and health care.
- Therefore, we are unable to translate economic growth into inclusive development.
- But there is no armed conflict in the country. In other words, UN and foreign NGOs need not poke their head in alleged women-abuse during operations against Maoists, secessionists and terrorists in India.
- In the ministerial declaration, India forced the panel members to change the word “caste” to “social origin”.
- In other words, Caste is not a factor for gender inequality in India (!). Perhaps this wordplay was done to ensure UN racial discrimination Committees and foreign NGOs do not poke their head in caste-based violence in of India. In 2001 too, India followed the same line: caste-discrimination is not same as racism.
- We’ve take many initiative for women safety and women empowerment: Nirbhaya fund, Beti bachao, Janani Suraksha, women reservation in local bodies and so on.
Q1. Find correct statement(s) about Beijing declaration and platform for action
- In 1995, the first Women conference was held in Beijing.
- This conference chartered out 15 pillars for gender equality.
- Both A and B
- Neither A nor B
Q2. Find incorrect statement(s) about Beijing+20 Meeting for Asia Pacific nations.
- It was held at Beijing, China in 2014.
- Its main purpose was to review the implementation of Beijing Declaration on protection of women during armed conflicts.
- It was held under the aegis of UNESCO.
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 2 and 3
- Only 1 and 3
- All of Them
Q3. At Beijing+20 review meeting for Asia-Pacific countries, government of India ___.
- refused existence of gender inequality in India.
- refused existence of any armed conflicts in India.
- refused existence of “caste” as a factor of gender inequality.
Correct Answer choices
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 2 and 3
- Only 1 and 3
- None of them
Q4. Consider following statements about UN-ESCAP
- It is one of the five regional Development arms of United Nations
- It’s headquarter is located at Bangkok, Thailand
- Both A and B
- Neither A nor B
Q5. Find correct Pairs
- Rio+20: Climate change
- Beijing+20: Gender equality
- Rio+20: sustainable Development
- Beijing+20: Rights of Women and children
- Only 1 and 2
- Only 2 and 3
- Only 3 and 4
- Only 1 and 4
Mains: General Studies Paper 1
- The rigidity of socially ascribed gender role is the main contributing factors to feminization of poverty. Elaborate
- Gender equality is the prerequisite to sustainable Development. Elaborate
- (GS2) Beijing declaration is considered the watershed document for gender equality in World. Discuss the policies and schemes by Government for its full implementation in India.
- (Essay) Equality for women is progress for all. [This was the theme of International Women’s Day 2014]
- (Interview) Beijing declaration wants countries to introduce ‘age-appropriate’ sex education. Are you in favour of this? Justify your stand.
Visit Mrunal.org/Polity for entire Archive of Polity articles published so far.
this 1 was much awaited mrunal bhai
Thanks so much :)
Thank you :)
thank you sir
thanks Mrunal sir
sir please send ias 2014 mains complete analysis
mrunal ji no article to commemorate mahatma gandhis’s return from africa .. ?its been 100 years .. UPSC gets crazy on this ..! waiting for it
thank for such a detailed note
I can’t buy notes from Delhi so the only option is flipkart,amazon and other sites. Can you people tell me which ethics books to refer which are available on these sites and will not buying notes from Delhi affect the quality of answers? Thank you all
you can try moral lexicon by chronicle for ethics
it is available on amazon
Thank you but will that one book be enough along with the various reports?
lexicon+ethics in governance (2nd arc report)+ any autobiography of a retired ias officer will be sufficient for this paper .
thanks mrunal !!
IN 2 IT SHOULD BE D ALL INCORRECT
i m adding some points here which i have read in hindu-
1-According to ESCAP, for every hundred employed men, there are only 62 employed women in the Asia Pacific region, the average wage gap is 10 to 30 per cent, and women are still concentrated in low-paid, low-status and low-skilled work. The Asia Pacific region’s child sex ratio, which is in favour of boys, is one of the highest in the world. As a result of this, gender-biased practices including prenatal sex selection exist. Yet, comprehensive sex education is nonexistent in many countries and the ministerial declaration took a retrograde step by not recognising the sexual rights of women, which was an important right contained in the Beijing Declaration.
* a significant change in the last 10 years has been the increasing focus on involving men as partners in gender equality. The MenEngage programme and the HeforShe movement are some of the initiatives by UN Women to rope in men to speak up against violence and be partners rather than adversaries in the process
* The Pacific region, which has reported a high rate of violence against women, is now realising the power of its collective voice on gender.
Please notify me with mail when new topic posted.
Preliminary Exam Paper-I
Q2.Consider the following statements about PIO and OCI and amendment to the Citizenship Act of 1955 to merge these two.
1. A Person is Registered as OCI under the Ministry of Home affairs scheme
2. Recent amendment to the Citizenship Act ensures that both PI0 and OCI will get benefits like “Lifelong Visa” and “Exemption from appearing to local police station”
3.The Citizenship Act of 1955 amended so far “Five times” including recent one
4. New Name of merger scheme is “Indian Overseas Cardholder scheme”
5.A Person basically registered as PIO under the Citizenship Act 1955 amended recently.
Which statement is correct
a) 1 Only
b) 2 Only
c) 2,3 & 4 Only
d) 1 and 5 Only
e) All of the above.
Please make one on GST and other tax & banking reforms.
Sukriya …. mrunal sir yu are extraodinary … nd somtimes funny also like kapil sharma …
Civil Services Preliminary-2015 Paper I
Q. Which of the following are Incorrect
1. “We the people” these three words are same in Our and American Constitution
2. Structural part of constitution is derived from Govermenent of India Act 1935
3. Recently Central Government “Enacted Health as a Fundamental Right”
4. Fundamental Rights are Philosophical Part of Constitution
a) 3 Only
b) 1&4 Only
c) 1,2,4 Only
d) None of the above
ANSWER IS A. AM I RIGHT FRIEND.
beijing +20 meeting will be held in addis ababa capital of ethopia in march 2015 . not in new york
Main summit (for the head of states) is at New York in 2015.
Adis Ababa summit meant for African regional meeting [just like Bangkok summit was for Asia-Pacific region]
see the schedule uploaded on UN site Link.
This was a direct question in CSE – Pre 2015!
Sir, this may not be the right place to ask this. But can you pls post your analysis of public admin 2014 mains paper? I ask this bcos I remember seeing an article on public administration strategy long back from you and i feel u might be able to guide us. Thanks.
Mrunal a request. Can you please also write answers after objective questions as you used to do earlier. Thanks a lot.
Ans for ques no 4 should be (b) bcz UNESCAP is arm of UNECOSOC and not UN..
Is there anyone who had given UPPSC Upper Sub – interview.
I want to attend 1-2 mocks, which coaching would be good for UP Special and UPPSC.
I am always waiting for ur articles
pls upload some guidance for cpf ass.commdt.
Please provide answers for MCQ’s and try to make more MCQ’s, It will make us to study qualitatively
sir 90% questions are directly from this site in all exams.
and thanks for such simple english very helpful for hindi medium too……
Sir, Please motivated guidance for upsc CAPF Examination Asst. Commdt.