- L5/P1: Ocean Resources, EEZ, petroleum reserves, Polymetallic nodules
- L5/P2: Coral Reefs & Marine Pollution
- L5/P3: Ocean Currents, Waves and Upwelling
- L5/P4: Ocean Tides and Major Ports of India
- These geography lectures are conducted by Ms. Rajtanil at Sardar Patel institute of Public Administration (SPIPA), Ahmedabad.
- Oceanography session began on 16th February 2015, and uploaded on youtube. Total ~2:30 hours but I’ve split it into four parts.
- PowerPoint of the lecture, available at Mrunal.org/Download
- Medium of instruction- Hindi.
- English version not possible for the moment, because faculties are required to teach at this batch, in Hindi/Gujarati only. Besides, same content is available in English in the powerpoints.
L5/P1: Ocean Resources, EEZ, Polymetallic nodules
- Understanding the Ocean bottom relief
- Division of ocean bottom: continental-margins, mid oceanic ridge and deep sea plains
- Ocean-continent margins: continental shelf, continental slope, continental rise
- Continental shelf: Petroleum resources
- Map Reading: Persian gulf, strait of Hormuz , Map: Barent sea, Russia,arctic sea
- Resources from continental shelf: sulphur in gulf of Mexico; placer deposit – monazite, gold, diamond, zircon
- Resources from continental shelf: pearls, calcium and fish
- Continental slope: submarine canyon and submarine water fall
- Continental rise: transition zone, absent near trenches
- Deep sea plain/ abyssal plain and their resources
- Poly-metallic nodules, their metal-components, global distribution, India’s exploration of PMN
- UNCLOS- UN convention of Laws of the seas
- Discussion of previous questions from UPSC Prelims
L5/P2: Coral Reefs & Marine Pollution
- Types of Islands in the world: continental, volcanic, sand –bar islands and coral islands, Atoll; and their examples
- Coral reefs, their Formation: symbiotic relation of coral polyps and zooxanthalae
- Condition for growth of coral reefs, their Spatial distribution.
- Coral bleaching: meaning, Reasons for and global distribution
- Formation of coral reef, Fringing reef and Barrier reef
- Marine pollution- reasons, and Tar Balls.
L5/P3: Ocean Currents, Waves and Upwelling
- Motion of ocean water: horizontal (waves and currents), vertical (upwelling and tides)
- Ocean currents: meaning, importance, distribution and factors responsible.
- Effect of Insolation and Salinity gradients on the ocean currents
- Factor modifying the ocean currents: coastline and coriolis force
- Ocean currents of the world
- North Atlantic currents
- New foundland islands – meeting of warm and cold currents
- Effect of North Atlantic drift, Effect of Canary current
- Sargasso Sea
- South Atlantic currents
- Meeting of warm and cold currents at Bahia Blanca, New Foundland Islands, Japanese Coast
- Currents of North Atlantic, South Atlantic, North Indian Ocean, South Indian Ocean
- Solution of UPSC Prelim Questions from 1997, 2002, 2012 and 2013.
- Up-welling: Ekman layer, Ekman spiral, Ekman transport and their impact
- Peruvian coast and other major Upwelling regions of the world
- Down welling: meaning and Effects
L5/P4: Ocean Tides and Major Ports of India
- Vertical Motion of ocean water: tides
- Ocean tides: meaning, Formation and importance
- Highest tidal range in world and in India
- Meaning of ebb and flow
- Apogee and perigee tides
- Syzygy position, Quadrature position
- Spring tides and neap tides: meaning and comparison
- Solution of UPSC Prelims questions from 2001, 2002 2004,
- Tidal currents, Tidal bores
- Meaning of estuary, Hooghly river: Kolkata riverine port
- Examples of tidal ports: Kandla and Diamond harbour
- Difference between tidal and non-tidal ports
- 12 major ports of India
- Tidal energy, location in India and world