- L4/P4: PDMA, Curbing Black Money in Foreign & Desi Assets
- L4/P5: GAAR Delay, DTC dropped & BTT Forgotten
- L4/P6: 14th Finance Commission: Tax Devolution, 42% Share
- L4/P7: 14th Finance Commission: Grant in Aid for PRI & Disaster Management, pricing of public utilities
- The economic survey related articles will be published after I’m done reading and researching myself.
- In the meantime, here’s the recoding of my lecture series on budget and economic survey at SPIPA, Ahmedabad.
- Second Session 2:30 hours, I’ve split it into four parts.
- PowerPoint of the lecture, available at Mrunal.org/Download
- Medium of instruction- Hindi.
- English version not possible for the moment, because I’m required to teach at this batch, in Hindi/Gujarati only. Besides, same content is available in English-text articles or English PPTs on the site.
- What is financial repression?
- Why do we need public debt management authority / agency in India?
- Budget 2015 provisions regarding setting up a public debt management agency (PDMA) in India- to manage both internal and external debt.
- Fiscal deficit trend in recent years
- economic survey targets for debt to GDP ratio and debt to GDP ratio
- 3% fiscal deficit target: challenges in raising the income level of government, challenges in cutting down the expenditure.
- 3% fiscal deficit target: reforms already done, soon to be done.
- Bimal Jalan expenditure management committee’s interim recommendations to curb his deficit.
- 14th finance commission reforms on Government salary and account norms.
- Black Money: proposed reforms/bills in budget-2015 to curb black money held in foreign and domestic assets.
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/gLmmzvMt6SE
- Recap of earlier lectures on Vodafone indirect transfer, transfer pricing cases and budget-2015 reforms to prevent the reputation of the same.
- What is GAAR, the new deadline to implement GAAR in India?
- Budget-2015: other measures for ease of doing business in India.
- Direct Tax code 2013, why has Jaitley dropped this idea?
- Banking Transaction Tax (BTT): salient features, benefits and drawbacks in implementing this tax in India.
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/hLVIUU7FUX0
- 14th Finance commission: structure, membership, functions.
- Components of Total transfer to states- decided by finance commission and planning commission/finance ministry
- Which central taxes are shared with States? and which are not?
- Recommendations of Dr.Y.V.Reddy’s 14th finance commission for vertical devolution of Taxes from union to states.
- Horizontal division of taxes among the states using 5 factor formula: census 1971, census 2011, income distance, area and forest cover.
- Why is part time member Professor Abhijit Sen opposed to the idea of 42% devolution? Why has he recommended 32% devolution?
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/JOyoKoUpmHM
L4/P7: 14th Finance Commission: Grant in Aid for PRI & Disaster Management, pricing of public utilities
- Financial constraints faced by Panchayati Raj institutions and urban local bodies in India.
- PRI-Grant-in-aid formula and quantum given by 14th finance commission.
- Other taxation and constitutional reforms suggested by 14 finance commission for augmenting the state Consolidated fund to help PRI bodies.
- Types of disaster funds provided under the National disaster Management act 2005.
- Suggested measures by 14th Finance commission to augment the national and state disaster response Funds. (NDRF and SDRF)
- Views of 14th finance commission on cooperative federalism and pricing of public utilities.
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/lOo7DQsALYc