- Diplomacy in News: Sept.2016
- GSM2: International Org. / Groupings
- India not Involved: Sept.2016
- Defense in news: Sept.2016
- Terrorism in News: Sept.2016
- Dead in News: Sept.2016
- Diaspora and Awards related
- Controversial in News: Sept.2016
Diplomacy in News: Sept.2016
In previous part, we saw Environment, Science-Tech, Public health care related current affairs in Sept.2016.
Now moving to Diplomacy and international relations related current affairs for various competitive exams.
Indus water treaty 1960
It was signed between between India and Pakistan with World Bank as negotiator.
|3 Western Rivers||3 Eastern Rivers|
hint: CJI: Chief Justice of India has no jurisdiction over Pakistan! Hence we’ve to give water of these rivers to Pak.
Hint: SBI nahi “R”. “S” for saffron =Hindustan’s exclusive right.
||India has full rights over Eastern Rivers|
- ** these two rivers originate in China. Others originate in India.
- Each country has to appoint a commissioner, they’ve meet @ every 6 months.
Should India stop water to Pakistan?
- Pakistan’s 65% geographical area and 90% irrigated area will be dried. Millions of Pakistanis will be deprived of water, electricity and food (cause no water no crops).
- But, India always complied with treaty, even during Kargil war, we didn’t stop water. We are a peaceful, humanitarian, law abiding country.
- Srinagar, Jammu and Punjab will get floods, if we stop the water going to Pak.
- Besides, unlikely that Pak will stop terrorism. In fact, water shortage may be used as another propaganda to incite jihadis and ordinary Pak.Youth against India.
|Republic Day 2017||Chief guest at republic day of India on 26th January
|Chaman border||Its bab-e-Dosti gate connects Afghanistan with Pak. Recently opened again.|
Bilateral Diplomacy- Sept. 2016
|68 countries||Where no minister has gone before- Modi government will send ministers- to improve bilateral ties and attract more FDI.|
GSM2: International Org. / Groupings
For Prelim-MCQs: Venue, Themes, Participants, Outcomes are important.
G20 Summit, 2016
|Location?||At Hangzhou, China.|
|Theme?||an innovative, invigorated, interconnected and inclusive world economy.|
- India to oppose USA’s move for subsidy end on fossil fuel, and oppose China’s move to setup an info-sharing center against corruption.
- India unhappy with China because 1) signing of CPEC economic corridor between Pak-China 2) no support to declare Masood Azhar as Terrorist 3) no support for NSG membership.
- India demands sanction against Pak for sponsoring terrorism.
- Due to pressure by India-China, No mention of Paris Summit ratification deadline in G20. (but anways, we ratified it on 2nd Oct 2016, China ratified in Sept.2016)
What is G20 Sherpa?
- Sherpa: is a personal representative of a country’s leader. He ensures smooth proceedings and background coordination during NSG, G8 and G20 summits- just like the Nepali Sherpas do, during Mount Everest climbing they help the adventurers.
- NITI Vice-chief Arvind Panagariya acted as Sherpa for G20 summit in both 2015 and 2016.
Other Intl. org in news
|UN peacekeeping||UN deducts Rs.338 crores from payment to India, because we had supplied defective equipments to our peacekeeping forces in Congo and Sudan|
|BRICS||BRICS summit planned next month, but their NSAs met in 2016-July, decided to launch joint fight against terrorism coming from WANA (West Asia, N.Africa)|
India not Involved: Sept.2016
Columbia-FARC & Nobel Peace Prize 2016
- Columbia (Capital Bogota): civil war raging between government vs. Leftist rebel groups-FARC and ELN.
- After 52 years of blooth-bath, president Juan Manuel Santos signed peace agreement with FARC at Cartagena, Spain. (and got Nobel Peace Prize 2016 for it).
- FARC guerrillas agreed to end armed conflict and join political process.
- But later on public-referendum rejected this peace deal by less than 60,000 votes, because a section of public is unhappy that guerilla leaders will get away unpunished for their crimes and murders under this peace deal!
- Now, government will have to go back on negotiation table with FARC.
|Brazil||President Dilma Rousseff impeached. Her vice president Michel Temer tookover- he’ll be president for the remainder of the term I.e. 28 months. But opposition demanding his resignation as well.|
|N.Korea||Tested biggest nuclear bomb.|
Middle East in News: Sept.2016
|Intifada||Arabic word “shake off”- Palestinians used in context of throwing Israelis off the West Bank and Gaza.|
|Aleppo||Syrian city under control of Rebels. Syrian government, with help of Russia, has launched air strike, bombing on this city.|
|Saudi-Russia||Signed crude oil pact so in future during global glut (excessive supply) of crude oil- they may limit output to control the fall in prices.|
|Kuwait||New law- all have to submit DNA samples before entering/leaving- Bidoon Minority may be persecuted.|
Defense in news: Sept.2016
For MCQs and Interview Questions in CAPF, CDS, SSB and AFCAT.
PAVA Shells for crowd control
|Ineffective for crowd control?||
Defense: Tests & Purchases in Sept-2016
|LRSAM||Long range surface to air missile developed jointly with Israel. DRDO tested @Chandipur.|
Defense: Controversies in Sept-2016
|Embraer||This Brazilian company sold three AEW&C earlier warning aircrafts to DRDO in 2008. Now allegations of bribery in the deal.|
|AN-32||This IAF aircraft went missing in Bay of Bengal, in 2016-July. IAF now officially declared that all 29 people onboard are “presumed dead.”|
Terrorism in News: Sept-2016
Relevance: GSM2 (IR) and GSM3 (Internal Security)
Uri Attack, Kashmir
- Deadliest terror attack on Indian Army. 17+ soldiers killed.
- Indian army retaliates by conducting a surgical strike on 4 terror-launch pads in PoK.
India should avoid direct war because
- Not sufficient ammo, and we rely on 6-7 nations for military supplies- some of them are unreliable in emergency, while Pak relies mainy on China.
- deep state within Pak. State- run by army and ISI
- Lack of proper policy against attack, kidnap, hijack
- Need chief of defense staff; need to remove civil-military bureaucratic dissonance
- Desi military-industrial complex has to be upgraded, by revamping DRDO-DPSU
Terrorism -other news: Sept.2016
|Zakir Naik||Televangelist under lens for allegedly inciting youth to join terrorism/ISIS. In news because of the controversy surrounding the renewal of his NGO-license.|
|Manhattan bombing||Deshi (=crude/homemade) bomb explodes in Manhattan, NY- injuring 29.|
Dead in News: September 2016
|Donald Ainsle (DA) Henderson||Epidemiologist from USA who played an important role in the fight against Smallpox.|
|Reinhard Selten||This German economist had won Nobel for “Game theory” in 1994.|
|Isabelle Dinoire||This french woman was world’s first recipient of face transplant but died of cancer, after the face-transplant drugs decreased her immunity to cancer.|
|Islam Karimov||President of Uzbekistan. Died after iron rule over the country for >25 years.|
|Deen Dayal Upadhyay||
Diaspora and Awards related
|Miss Priyanka Yoshikawa||Daughter of Indian father and Japanese mother- she won Miss Japan title. She has license to train elephants.|
|Abid Riaz Qureshi||This Pakistani American became the first Muslim federal judge of USA. He was nominated by Obama.|
|Ramesh Raskar||This Nasik born Indian-American scientist has won Lemelson-MIT prize worth 5 lakh dollars.|
|Abraham Verges||This India-American physician is given 2015 National humanities Medal by Prez. Obama.|
|Ig Nobel Prize||Given for ridiculous researchers in science e.g. effect of polyester pants on sexual life of rats.|
Controversial in News: Sept.2016
|Keith Vaz||Longest serving Indian origin-UK MP, implicated in sex-scandal.|
|Nicholas Sakozi||Ex-President of France, accused of overspending during previous election campaign.|
|SPS Rathod||Ex-DGP of Haryana found guilty of molesting Ruchika Girhotra in 1993, but spared from Jail|
|Scarlett Keeling||Raped and murdered in 2008, accused acquitted.|
|Marc Anwar||Pak actor removed from UK-sitcom after he posted racially abusive tweets against Indians.|
Next Polity and economy related Current Affairs in September 2016.
please answer my question
Please help me,
I have filled the DAF four days ago and it emailed me that I have submitted successfully and I have filled all the modules of it.
But today it messaged that I have not submitted the DAF yet.
Also whether I have tobsend the print out or not.
same here. I send mail to upsc, when i got that message. I think they forgot to add one last line in the message that’ please ignore if you already submitted’.. Hopefully it is a wrong message and if submitted means we cannot access the form again, vice versa .
Everybody got that message, even the ones who had already submitted it. Don’t worry about it.
haha…In the G20 photo..you have mentioned xi jinping as a 11th jinping…i still remember once dd news anchor was fired due to this mistake..LOL
Sir, please give a lesson that is based on Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom’s “Contract Theory”.
Boss , Is it columbia or colombia ??
vat r de certificates required to fill daf(m a obc) plz help
I have submitted DAF but now after 5 days cash( what I paid during filling DAF) is back in my account.Called upsc but unanswered,for mail they replied Your request has been forwarded to under sec. and gave same phone no for any contact.If anyone else is facing same problem?
Is there any proforma for Undertaking to be given by a Govt. Employee regarding intimation to the HOD as I am a state govt employee.One has to Scan and upload the Undertaking along with other documents. But dont know how to go further. Please help me out.
MY RESPECTED SIR/BROTHERS/SISTERS,can u all sort out my two doubts regarding,one is whether i will submit my B.TECH original CERTIFICATE WITH CONSOLIDATED MARK SHEET OR WITH ALL INDIVIDUAL SEMESTER WISE MARK SHEET and second doubt here is in my 10th final certificate father name is mentioned SHRIKANT BUT in my 12th and graduation certificate father name is mentioned SRIKANT ,this happened due to board and university mistake so plz suggest me whether this will be acceptable by the UPSC board or not AS SOON AS POSSIBLE MY ALL DEAR FRDS.
sir pls provide economic vid in english plssssssssssssss,,,,
Pls send me d updates of ur website
Sir, sometimes the LETTERs written in a WORD are misplaced, leading to confusion. Kindly take care of this, otherwise awesome work. Thanks.