- [PIN] Indian Politics, Constitutional, Statutory, Bureaucrats
- National commissions
- Committees Commissions Task forces
- International Relations (IR)
- [IR] Summits/Treaties 2013
- [IR-PIN] Prez/PM of Foreign countries
- [IR-PIN] Diaspora/ Indians awarded abroad
- Economy: Regulators/Top Bodies
- [News] Economy related
- [News] Infra related
- Civilian Awards/Achievements
- [Awards] Nobel 2013
- [Awards] Public service/media/Courage
- [Awards] Movies/Beauty
- [Awards] Academic/Arts
- Books in News
- [Books] Non-Booker Awards
- [Books] List of Books and Authors
- Tennis 2013
- Sport Mascots
- Places in News
- Stamps in News
- Space/Sci-Tech related
- The present article is Persons in News PIN 2013. Dealing from Jan2013 upto 13th Oct2013. Mainly keeping IBPS PO/MT/Clerk, UPSC’s CAPF-CDS-IFOS and other upcoming State PCS, PSU, SSC exams in mind.
- For optimum results: copy paste this data in MS word (or separate excel spreadsheets or onenote), then keep updating these tables from magazines and newspapers until you get selected in your dream job. Otherwise ‘firefighting” style of preparation e.g. once IBPS is over I’ll not prepare current affairs until I get some interview call letter/ some other exam notification=#epicfail.
- If there are any additions, corrections, do post them in comments.
- By the way RAS Prelim exam halltickets have been uploaded click me (Sarkari servers always slow so try during non-office hours.)
[PIN] Indian Politics, Constitutional, Statutory, Bureaucrats
||Ofcourse everyone knows: Mohan. But in Jun 2013, He took oath as Rajya Sabha MP from Assam (five times in a row).
||P.Sathashivam replaced Altamas Kabir.
||Shashikant Sharma replaced Vinod Rai. And Vinod Rai became UN Audit panel Chief.
||V. S. Sampath replaced SY Qureshi
||Deepak Sandhu. First lady CIC, replaced Satyanand Mishra.She served in Indian information services.
||Chairman DP Aggarwal. Been on this post since 2008. Hope he retires soon.Ex.CBI director AP Singh became new member.
||Mohan ParasaranResigned: Rohinton Nariman, for difference with law minister. Law Minister Ashwini Kumar also resigned for vetting a CBI report on its coal block investigations thus cycle of Karma is complete.
||1st Anglo Indian MP (Rajya Sabha) to vote in Presidential Elections (of Pranab).Note that Anglo-Indian “nominated” MPs cannot vote in Presidential elections. But Derek is not “nominated” he is elected from West Bengal as Rajya Sabha MP.The two nominated Anglo Indian MPs in 15th LS areDr. Charles Dias (Kerala) and Mrs.Ingrid Mcleod (Chhattisgarh).
|Advisor to President
||T.K. vishwanathan. Lok sabha secretary, recently retired . Now became advisor to the president of india on constitutional matters. This is the newly created post.Selection by collegium of speaker,leader of house and leader of opposition.
||Najib Jung replaced Tejinder Khanna.
||Justice R.A Mehta .Refused to accept the job.
||Amrita Patel, National dairy Development board. Been in news for she wants to resign.
||Justice KG Balkrishnan
||Wajahat Habibullah the former CIC
||Justice Vangala Eswariah replaced Justice M.N.Rao
||Admiral Devendra Joshi replaced Nirmal Verma
||Air Marshal N.A.K. Browne replaced Pradeep Vasant Naik
||Gen. Bikram Singh. He replaced VK Singh, who remains in news for controversy related to Destabilizing JK government
|Atomic Energy commission
||Ratan Kumar Sinha
||DG Dilip Trivedi
First woman special DG in CRPF=Aruna Bahuguna
||S.A. Ibrahim. (First Muslim chief of IB)- Important for ACIO interview.
||Founder:B.Raman,Dead.Current chief: Alok Joshi.
||New Chief Avinash Chander
|National Disaster Response Force
|Senior security advisor in home ministry
- Vijaykumar.For anti-Naxal operations.
||Sujatha Singh (IFS). She is the third woman foreign Secretary of India.
|High Commissioner to Pakistan
|India’s permanent representative to UN
||Asoke Kumar Mukerji. He replaced Hardeep Singh.
||Ashok K Kantha
||Ved Prakash replaced Yogendra yadav, who was removed for his joining AAP.
|News Broadcasting standards authority
||Justice RV Ravindran
|Lalit Kala Academy
||Kalyan Kumar Chakravarty
|Sangeet Natak Academy
||Leela Samson. Was in controversy after she said 90 per cent of Censor board members are “uneducated” and an “embarrassment”.
|IGNOU Vice Chancellor
Committees Commissions Task forces
|7th Pay Commission
||To revise salary of 80 lakh workers and pensioners. Its recommendations will be effective from January 2016.6th PC was formed in 2006.
- FDI relaxation
- to Define FDI and FII
||To scrutinize application for New Bank Licenses
||Revamping power sector
Restructuring of centrally sponsored schemes
||GoM for CBI autonomy
|Cyrus Mistry, Anil Ambani
||Advisory group for electricity sector. For power ministry
||Illegal sand mining by MoEF
||To review the rate revisions of newspaper advertisements. By Ministry of information and broadcasting
|Justice Bilal Nazaki
||Functioning of Haj Committee
|Justice BN SriKrisha
- Financial sector legislative reform commission: to get the need of unifying SEBI, IRDA, PPFRDA and FMC into a single regulator
|Justice DK Jain
||20th Law commission of India
|Justice JS Verma
||Delhi Gangrape.Dead. was a part of the nine-judge bench in 1994 which gave the landmark verdict in the S R Bommai case relating to proclamation of President’s Rule under Article 356 of the Constitution in Karnataka. Presidential rule can be invoked only after parliament approval.Chief Justice of India,he was also a former Chairman of National Human Rights Commission. and the 1st Chairperson of News Broadcasting Standards Authority.
|Justice Mukul Mudgal
- IPL Spot fixing. Formed by SC
- Walmart Lobbying, by Corporate Min.
|Justice RC Gandhi
||By JK government for Kishtwar Communal riots
|Justice Santosh Hegde
||Judicial Commission on Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) by SC
|Justice Usha Mehra
||For probing lapses in Delhi Gangrape.
||Indecent Representation of Women in Media
|K. Vijay Raghavan
||Evaluation of Research And Rankings of higher edu. Institutes
||By RBI for loan products
||For setting up All-women’s bank
||For reviewing Cinematograph Act 1952. By Ministry of information and broadcasting
||RBI Committee for FINANCIAL INCLUSION (financial services to small business)
||Tax administration reform commission.
||To determine a new index of backwardness to see which states need special assistance. Most Developed: GOA,KERALALeast developed: ODHISSA,BIHAR.
- Gas princing, LNG imports
- Sugar pricing
||Clinical trials, drug bans.
||For restructuring Prasar Bharti. By Ministry of information and broadcasting
||For National Testing Agency (NTA) by HRD
||By planning commission. For reforms in Central PSUs
||Dhule Riots in Maharashtra
- Fiscal consolidation
- Energy security. By Natural Gas ministry
- He is NAC member
- Earlier Sacchar Committee was made for muslims, same way this Xaxa Committee is for tribals.
||Parliamentary Standing Committee on Finance-Report on Guidelines of new banking licenses
||14th Finance commission. Under Art280. He was ex-gov. of RBI
The core compilation article is here:
Most of the missiles, fighter jets etc remain one and same. Here are some new developments
|303 Black Panthers
||first fighter squadron for navy with MiG29
||Fast petrol Indian vessel for indian coast Guard.
||Navy officer first indian to circum navigate the globe in 150 days.
||New interceptor boat for Coast guard. For Maharashtra coast.
||light utility, multi-role helicopter is a variant of the Cheetah helicopter being manufactured by HAL, which is already operational in the high altitude regions.
||C402: Interceptor boat for coastguard.H191: air cushion vehicle. For helping small boats in distress at sea
|Daulat Beg oldi / Raki Nala
||in Ladakh. Chinese troops made intrusions here in Apr’13.
||Maritime Surveillance aircraft. Indian donated them to Seychelles.
||New Chief Avinash Chander
||Joint army exercise: India and Maldives @Belgaum
||For Navy, by ISROSent to space via Ariane 5 rocket, from French Guiana (S.America)
||Nuke capable Paki Missile. 900km range
||Submarine. Sunk because of accident.
||By Russia. Stealth frigate for Indian navy
||Russia’s Admiral Gorshkov carrier.Likely to join by 2013 end.
||1961: we bought first aircraft carrier INS vikrant1997: it was decommissionedAug’13: New INS Vikrant launched. India’s first Indigenous aircraft carrier. Will join active navy duty from 2018
|Iron Fist 2013
||Exercise in Pokharan by Indian Airforce.
||Japan’s biggest ever naval warship since WW2.
||Iran’s destroyer ship with guided missile. Deployed in Caspian sea.
||Kargil Victory day
||Submarine launched missile. Range 1500km
||DRDO setting up new missile testing range here.
||Multiple independently targetable vehicles by DRDO.
||Will function under IB.
||Surface to Surface subsonic cruise missile
||DRDO’s long range sub sonic missile. 1000km range.
||Joint training exercise between Indian and Mongolian army
||Becomes the first NATO country to make military service compulsory for both men and women
|Operation three star
||Codename for Afzal guru’s hanging.
||Surface to air missile for Indian airforce.
||Japan’s Anti-Missile Air Defense Units Deployed After North-Korea warned South-Koreans for a War in April-2013.
||Nuke capable, Surface to SurfaceRange 350kmsBy DRDO under Integrated guided missile Development program
||Iran’s indigenous stealth fighter jet
||Inshore petrol vessel for coast guard.
||First Indigenous Attack heli. With missiles. They’re weaponized version of Dhruva helicopter by HAL Bangalore.
||Russia will sell these anti-aircraft missiles to Iran
||N.Korea, Long range rocket with 3000km range.
International Relations (IR)
CDS and CAPF examiners are fond of setting MCQs on International current affairs.
[IR] Summits/Treaties 2013/Controversies
||India gets observer status
|ASEAN human rights declaration
||In Phnom Penh, Cambodia 2012
- 2012: 21st ASEAN Summit in Phnom Penh Combodia with theme:“ASEAN: One Community, One Destiny”
- 2012: ASEAN – India Commemorative Summit 2012. To mark the 20th year anniversary of the ASEAN – India dialogue. Theme: ASEAN-India Partnership for Peace, Progress and Shared Prosperity.
- 2013: 22nd ASEAN summit in Brunei, theme: Our People, Our Future Together.
|BASIC ministerial meeting on climate change
||At Durban, S.Africa (5th Summit)Theme: BRICS and Africa: Partnership for development, Integration and industralizationeThekwini DeclarationDiscussed to create an infrastructure focused “development bank”
|Convention on Biodiversity (CBD)
||Conference of Parties (COP)11th Summit in Hyderabad (2012)12th Summit in PyeongChang, S.Korea (theme = Biodiversity forSustainable Development)
||Voted for British rule
|First Arctic Summit
||2013: St.Petersburg, Russia2013: Finance ministers meeting held in Moscow, Russia2012: Los Cabos.
||Lough Erne, N.Ireland. Theme: tax evasion and transparency
|Global Arms trade treaty of UN
||India abstained from voting.
|High seas conference
|IBSA resolution for women empowerment
||India signed this.
|Indian chapter of World Economic Forum sumit
||Will be held in Kochi, Kerala.
|Indian ocean rim
||USA became dialouge partner.
|Indian ocean rim
||First economic and business conference held in Mauritius
||Its fifth assessment report will come in 2014.
|Minamata Mercury treaty
||In Minamata city of Japan, to sign the world’s first legally binding treaty on mercury pollution under United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
|National conference on E-governance
||General Joeseph Dunford (USA)Afghani forces tookover the security ops from NATO in June 2013.
|Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas 2013
|Silk road festival
|Surajkund International Crafts Mela 2013
||Organized by Haryana government in Surajkund, Faridabad district. This year focus was Karnataka state.
||In Tokyo for rebuilding of Afghanistan.
|UN resolution on Death Penalty ban
||India voted against
|UN Resolution on Syria
- 2012: new sanctions against President Bashar Al Assad’s regime= India voted favour of this.
- 2013: for rapid progress on a political transition in Syria= India abstained from voting.
|UNHRC resolution on Sri Lanka
||Condemning Sri Lanka for violation against Tamil minorities. India voted against Sri Lanka.
||World Conference on International telecommunication @Dubai
||International conference for traditional medicine in south-east Asia was held in Delhi. Led to Delhi declaration.
Visits to India
- US Vice Prez Biden
- French President Hollande
- UK PM David Cameroon
- Egyptian President Morsi
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang
- Liberian President Ellen Johnson
- Afghani President Hamid Karzai
Visits from India
- Pranab to Mauritius
- Mohan to Japan, Thailand, Germany
- Mohan to 68th Session of UN general assembly + Met Paki PM Sharif in Sep’13.
- AK Antony to Singapore, China
[IR-PIN] Prez/PM of Foreign countries
Some carried forward from 2012’s news items:
|African national congress
||President Jacob Zuma
||Nkosazana Zuma, first woman
|Asian forum of parliamentarians
||Rajyasabha Dy.Chairman PJ Kurien became its President
||PM Tony Abbott (liberal) defeated Kelvin Rudd (Labour)
||President Abdul Hamid.PM Sheikh Hasina (Awami League party)Speaker: Shirin Sharmin Chowdhury. First lady speaker in Bangladesh
- King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck: was chief guest at 26th Jan parade in 2013.
- PM Tshering Tobgay
- Elections in Jul’13. India had provided EVM.
- India stopped kerosense and LPG subsidy=bitterness
- Bhutan has became first country of the world to ban pesticides and herbicide sale to become a 100% organic food growing country .
- Currency swap agreement with India.
||New editor of TIME international.
|Central African Republic
||President Michel Djotodia belonging to Seleka rebels.
||Prez Xi Jinping replaced Hu JintaoPremeir Li Kequiang replaced Wen Jiabao. Li also got Pakistan’s highest civilian award “Nishan-e-Pakistan”.
||Made peace agreement with M23 rebels.
||Prez Raul Castro Replaced Fidel Castro
||PM Milos Zeman. Capital Prague
||President Rafel Correa. Capital Quito
||Adil Mansour interim prez after army threw out Mohd.MorsiMohd. El Baradei became VPPM: Hazem Al BeblawiTamarod campaign:Anti-Morsey campaign, massive street demonstration.
||Herman Van Rompuy
||President Ratu Epeli NailatikauNew Constitution
||President Francois Hollander replaced Sarkozy
||Chancellor Angela Markel won again.
|IOC, International olymic Committee
||Thomas Batch (Germany) repalced Jacques Rogge.
||President Hassan Rouhani. He replaced Ahmadinejad.Iran’s supreme leader: Ayatollah Khamenei.
- Prez. Simon Peres
- PM. Benjamin Netanyahu
- Their parliament is called Knesset.
- Stephen Hawkings boycotted academic conference in Israel to protest for Palestine.
||President Giorgio NapolitanoEnrica Lexie: name of the ship from which two Italian marines killed Indian fishermen.
||PM Shinzo Abe. DyPM Taro Aso. Their parliament is called Diet
Japan has shut down all her nuke powerplant in Sep’13, because of the Fukushima disaster.
||King Abdulla II setup parliament for his country.
||Prez Uhuru Kenyatta
||President Ellen Johnson, had came to India
||PM Najib Razak
||President Nasheed N Waheed replaced Nasheed after coup
||Ibrahim Keita new President.Problem: Tuareg rebels.
- President Thein Sein
- Government Signed peace treaty with Wa rebels
- Opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi (National league for democracy)
- Ceasefire with Kanchi rebels
||Khil Raj Regmi
||Prez Mamnoon Hussain replaced Zardari.PM: Nawaz Sharif (PML-N) party replaced Mir Hazar Khan Khoso
Fair trial bill 2012 in Pakistan. It allows intelligence agency to collect electronic data of citizens.
Mohhammed sarwar: Pakistani- Britain’s first muslim lawmaker. Served 3 terms as MP of Glasgow. Now Punjab province (Pakistan)Governor.
||Pres. Mahmud AbbasPM Salam Fayyad resigned.Became Observer state in UN
||President Horacio Cartes.Country admitted back in UNASUR
||Bennedict XVI, German, Resigned.New Pope: Francis I, (Jorge Mario Bergoglio) first South American pope. He is from Argentina
||Christopher Briggs became the new Secretary-General
||President Park Geun-Hye replaced Lee myung Bak. First Lady prez.
||Will hold referendum in 2014 to decide whether Scotland should get independence from rest of United Kingdom.
||Mahinda Rajpakshe. He threw out CJI Shiran Bandaranyake. Gen.Sarath Fonseca was Ex-Was jailed after power struggle with President.
||Prez Bashar Al AsadPM Wael Nader al-Halqi
||Yingluck Shinawatra, first lady PM
||PM Hamadi Jebali resigned after protests. Capital Tunis
||PM David Cameron (Conservative)DyPM Nick Clegg (liberal democrats)Ex-PM Margaret Thatcher,Dead.Conservative Party. Known as Iron Lady.
||Secretary General Ban ki Moon.
President for 68th session: John Ashe of Antigua.
Head of UN Women: Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka From south Africa.
||Prez Nicolas Maduro after Huge Chavez died.
||President Robert Mugabe won again. New Constitution approved. Now President can be elected for two 5-year terms only.
Edward Snowden: Exposed NSA’s project PRISM. Given temporary asylum in Russia. For more on PRISM project, click me
Private Bradley Manning: American Soldier, leaked confidential cables to wikileaks. Jailed. Later went through sex-change. New name is Chelsea Manning.
- President Obama (Democratic party). Defeated Mitt Romney (Republican) Term ends in 2017.
- VP Joe Biden
- Secretary of state:John Kerry, replaced Hilary Clinton.
- FBI: James Comey.
- CIA: John Brennan
- NSA: Susan Rice
- Federal reserves: Janet Yallen will replace Ben S Bernanke
- FDA: Gave permission to anti-HIV drug TRUVADA.
- US Envoy to UN: Samantha Power
[IR-PIN] Diaspora/ Indians awarded abroad
||California, House of representative.
||Editor of The Independent, in Britain
||UK, won Physics journalism prize.
||US professor of the year. Teaches Mechanical engg.
||Louisiana Governer, USA, Indian origin, Republican party
||Got Chinese award for international cooperation in Science.
|Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak
||Educationist, Literary critic. Won Kyoto Prize – Japanese equivalent of Nobel.
||First woman speaker of Singapore.
||Indian Freedom fighter from Maharashtra. Britain’s house of commons gave him lifetime achievement award.
||First Indian American to become attorney general in USA.
|Kamla Persad Bissessar
||PM of Trinidad and Tobago. Chief Guest of PBD-2012.
|Kiran Mazmudar Shaw
||Founder of Biocon. She is selected as trustee in United States Pharmacopeia convention.
||Won Order of Australia medal for her community service
||Australian woman cricketer, retired.
||CFO of Washington DC. Resigned.
||Governor of South Carolina state in US(republican party)
|Nisha Desai Biswal
||US Asst.Sec. South and Central Asia
|Patricia Maria Rozario
||UK Musician. Won PBD 2013.
|Perilla Bhandari Swatz
||Only Indian woman captian in US Marines. Cease from Sikkim.
||President of Mauritius. Chief guest of Pravasi bharatiya divas-2013
||Cofounder of LASIK Eye surgery. Given national medal for tech and innovation in USA.
||Won award in Singapore for Development of Libraries.
||New President of GMAC- this non profit body conducts GMAT exam.
|Sardar Ramesh Singh Arora
||First Sikh to be elected in Punjab provincial assembly of Pakistan
||Dentist, Died in Ireland during pregnancy. After her death, Ireland made law to permit woman have abortion in case of life danger/abnormality.
||Great grandson of Gandhi.Won Kansas state assembly election.
||Judge of US court of appeals in DC circuit.
||New CEO of Anglogold-Ashanti ltd – one of the largest producers of Gold.
||Indian born scientist now joined prestigious royal society of London.
|Sunil R Kulkarni
||State judge in N. California
||Head of Google’s Android business. From IIT-K
||First Indian judge in N.Carolina
||1st Hindu in US House of Representatives (their Lok Sabha). Elected from Hawai State.Party:Democrat.She took oath on Gita, Served in US army, was deployed in Iraq.
||UAE’s business excellance award for her nursery education chain Orchard nursery.
|Vince Girdhari chhabaria
||Appointed judge in California.
||Scientists got highest civilian award in Canada. His work in Micronutrient deficiency.
||Indian-American professor.Won top US environment award.
Economy: Regulators/Top Bodies
||Jim Yong Kim. (For whom UPSC admitted setting Wrong MCQ)
||Roberto Azevedo (Brazil) replaced Pascal Lamy.
||Takehiko Nakao, Japan
- Raghuram Rajan replaced D.Subbarao as 23rd Governor of RBI
- Studied @IIT Delhi, IIM-A
- Was youngest ever chief economist @IMF
- Served as chief economic advisor to Finance minister
- Book: Fault Lines: How hidden fractures still threaten the world economy.
||UK Sinha replaced C. B. Bhave
||TS Vijayan replaced J Hari Narayan
|Forward Market commission
||Abdul Rahim Rather replaced Sushil Modi.
|ICAI (Chartered accountants)
||Subordinate dh Kumar Agrawal
only covering those who were in news for 2013. Otherwise it’ll be a mile long list.
|Bank of America- India head
|Bank of India
|Bank of India
||NAina Lal Kidwai
||Too cliched. Chanda Kochher
||CMD MS Raghvan
||CEO and MD Santosh B Nayar
|JP Morgan India
|Royal Bank of Scotland-Indian operatis
||Arundhati Bhattacharya replaced Pratip Chaudhari and became 1st woman to head SBI
|State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur
|United Bank of India
||Chairman and MD Archana Bhargava
|UTI asset Management
Only covering those who were in news for 2013. Otherwise it’ll be a mile long list.
||Joint venture of Tata Sons Malaysian LCC and Telestra.CEO: Mittu ChandaliyaChairman: SK Ramadoli
||Rana Kapoor of Yes Bank became the new President
|BALCO, under Vedanta
||Ashish Kumar Chauhan
||S.Gopalkrishnan.Co-founder of Infosys.
||N.Ravi of the Hindu.
|General Electronics India
|IMF executive director from India
||Narayan Murthy returns as Executive chairman of the board, and KV Kamath (former-ICICI) steps down.
|International chamber of commerce
||Sunil Bharti became Vice President
|International coffee council
||Javed Akhtar new chairman.
||SK Roy replaced DK Malhotra
|Maruti Suzuki India
||CMD Anshuman Das
||Krishnakumar Natarajan of Mindtree
|Procter & Gamble
||Malvinder Singh. Keeps getting notices/penalties in USA
||Jack Dorsey is chairman, Evan Williams is founder. Planning for $1 billion IPO
[News] Economy related
For White label ATM, NSEL crisis etc read the articles in this google folder:
Here are some more news: I’m not going into details but you should prepare for MCQs/ interviews:
- Global competitiveness Index 2013, by World Economic Forum: Switzerland on 1st, India on 60th rank
- Only public sector companies will be allowed to explore shale gas
- GAAR Rules will implemented from 1st Apr 2016
- Non-Agri trade cannot be done on Saturdays: notifies FMC
- Company Bill passed in parliament
- NABARD act amended to increase cap to 20k crore.
- Custom duty on gold, silver, platinum hiked
- Our Forex reserves slips down below $280 billion.
- RBI’s Q1 review
- RBI: Unique Customer Identification Code (UCIC). For strengthening Know Your Customer (KYC)/Anti-Money Laundering (AML)/Combating of Financing of Terrorism (CFT).
- RBI’s KK Vohra panel for loan products
- RBI’s CDS norms for corporate bonds
- SEBI: Gold ETF permission
- RBI penalized 6 banks for flouting KYC norms after sting operation from Cobrapost.
- RBI and gold import curbs
- National Housing bank to get $ 100 million loan from World Bank
- Green Banking: attempts to reduce paper wastage/Carbon footprints in banking. Example using net banking instead of cheque-book
- Rupee downfall. Import duty on gold
- Foreign investment limit in government securities (G-sec) : $ 5 billion
- Chindu’s 10 points action plan to strengthen economy.
- 5 PSUs come up with 4000MW solar projects
- Committee: Parthasarathi Shome commission for Tax administration reform.
- Sovereign Wealth funds
- Disinvestment cleared for STC and ITDC
- Banking licenses. Winners to be announced by 2014.
- Cement cos get fined for cartelization
- Civil Aviation regulation authority
- Mittal exits Odisha steel project.
- FDI norms relaxed in Aug
- Urea investment policy
- Money laundering bill
- Tax information exchange agreement (TIEA) with Liechtenstein.
- Human development report 2013
- EU imposed anti-dumping duty on Indian steel
- Russia became the 156th member of WTO
- Maharatna status for BHEL and GAIL
- RRB act Amendment bill.
- Inflation indexed bonds
- Universal commodity exchange
- MCX-SX: third online shock exchange after BSE and NSE.
- SEZ norms liberalized.
- EPFO to give 8.5% interest
- Saxo Bank Denmark, entered India.
- Sugar price decontrol after Rangarajan Panel.
- SARADHA groups scam, West Bengal.
- Debt Waiver scheme: launched in 2008. CAG report talks about scam in this.
- Forward market commission’s Administrative control:
- Before: Department of consumer affairs under Agro min
- Now: under Chindu (Finance ministry)
- FMC statutory body. This move done because of NSEL scam
- RBI asks Banks to end Zero interest EMF(Equated Monthly interest ) Scheme
- SBI to expand CASH DEPOSIT MACHINES(CDM) to tap portion of currency within people
- SEBI debarred DSQ software from entering capital market for 7 years
- SEBI merges FIIs and QFIs into new FPIs category
- INDIA BANK launches Combo loan(Home, Vehicle & Consumer Durables loan @ 10.2%)
[News] Infrastructure related
- Double decker trains between Chennai to Bangalore.
- Mumbai’s eastern Free way
- Benihal Qazigunz rail link
- World’s highest railbridge @River Chinab- will connect Baramulla & Srinagar to Jammu.
- Andaman Grand Trunk Road: SC Banned Tourists to protect jarva tribe
- Ghat ki guni Tunnel-Links jaipur with agra via NH-11
- Kishan Ganga Hydro Project, Gurez valley North Kashmir. Court of Arbitration permitted India to go ahead under Indus-Water Treaty 1960
- Biotoilets in all trains by 2019
- Metro rail= Already in Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai and Banglore. New plans for Lucknow (2014), Raipur, Cochi, Hyd, Mumbai.
- Pir Panjal tunnel: connect Jammu’s Banihal with Kashmir’s Kazigund. (railways). This will be Asia’s 2nd longest railway tunnel.
- Jawahar Tunnel or Banihal Tunnel: connecting between Banihal and Qazigund on NH 1A (Highway).
- SMS based railway ticket booking: 139 or 5676714
- DIESEL LOCOMOTOIVE engines roll out India’s most powerful engine -5500 CC(WGD5 prototype)
- Cabinet gave approval to setup ports @Sagar, WB. And @Andhra
- Gobalpur port, Odisha: new all-weather port.
- Telegram service permanently stopped. 1850: first telegram was between Kolkata and Diamond Harbour
- Mukesh will use Anil’s optical fiber network to laydown 1.2 lakh km national fiber network for his Reliance Jio Infocomm. This will help in 4G broadband.
- National internet registry for managing IP addresses.
- SISTEMA SHYAM TELESERVICES(MTS BRAND) become the 1st company to get Unified License from Gov.
Economy related IR
- Gwadar Port: Pakistan handed over to china
- Colombo port Project: China developing this.
- Chabahar port, Iran: India helping to develop this.
- Sri Lanka’s Northern Railway project: Indian railministry’s IRCON financed this.
- India’s Currency swap agreements with Japan and Bhutan.
- Social security agreement with Portugal, Austria.
- Tax information exchange agreement with Gibraltar.
- Teesta water treaty with Bangladesh
- Double taxation avoidance treaty/convention/treaty (DTAC) with Latvia, Albania, Sweden, South Korea, UK
- Indo-Japan pact on rare earths.
- India’s first Geo-thermal power Plant: at Tatapani, Balrampur, Chattisgarh by NTPC.
- Okhla Compost Plant, Delhi: India’s first plant to receive carbon credit under UNFCC.
- Rashtriya Adarsha Vidhyalaya by Union government + Indian corporates via PPP
- Kundankulam Nucl plant, TN, by NPCIL. SC gave it permission
- Asia’s largest solar project @Jodhpur Rajasthan by Welspun energy.
- Tawang Hydel project: Tawang chu river in Arunanchal.
- 4000MW Ultra Mega green solar power project @Sambhar lake, Rajasthan
- Barmer, Rajasthan: Cairn India found oil in Rageshwari Block.
- Bureau of water use efficiency=>National watermission=>National action plan on climate change.
- National plan for aquatic ecosystems by merging Lake conversation and Wetland conservation programs.
- GM trials for castor oil, maize and wheat cleared by MoEF’s GEAC.
- Karnataka watershed project gets $60 million loan from world bank
- E-business portal, designed by Infosys for Commerce Ministry to promote government to business connectivity.
- Coal gate, missing files.
- RTS,S Vaccine by GlaxoSmithKline for Malaria trial successful
- JENVAC- India’s Indigenous Vaccine to prevent Japanese Encephalitis(Mosquito born)-Produced by PPP mode (Bharat Biotech & Indian council of Medical Research)
- Education schemes: Click ME
- SC/ST/OBC/PH related: Click ME
- Women related: Click ME
- Public Health/ maternity / childcare: Click ME
- E-Governance related: Click ME
Some new Schemes/initiatives:
- Zero Landless project: started in Kerala
- Teleradiology service: started in Guwahati by Health ministry. It’ll help sending x-ray / CT scans from regional hospitals to speciality hospitals across India.
- All women University @Rae Bareli in UP
- Urban Health mission 2013
- National skill development agency, autonomous body.
- Roshni skill development project for Naxal hit areas
- First public health university in India: at Bhuveneshwar Orissa.via PPP.
- Rashtriya Bal Swastha Karyakram launched from Thane.
- MyIndia Initiative- Digital Volunteer Programme. By Ministry of Info and Broadcasting, to talk about Government schemes and programmes on different social media platforms
- Adhar/UIDAI unnecessary for government scheme benefits- Government tells SC
list definitely not exhaustive.
- India became the first country in South Asia to ban cosmetic product testing on animals. Guilty will be punished under drugs and cosmetics act
- Himachal Pradesh becomes the first smoke-free state in the country under the cigarettes and other tobacco products at 2003
- Kerala: Liquor purchase age is increased from 18 to 21
- Tamil Nadu’s new litigation policy
- National water framework bill
- Sexual harassment bill
- Land acquisition bill
- Electronic delivery of services bill
- Ordinance/bill to protect convicted MPs.
- Manual scavenging bill
- Judicial appointment bill
- Pension bill
- SEBI amendment bill
- Banking Amendment
- Criminal law (Amendment) bill 2013 against rape, Anti-Rape ordinance
- Juvenile Justice Act & Delhi rape case.
- Citizen’s charter bill
- Food security bill/ordinance
- Real Estate regulation bill
- Telengana the 29th State
- CIC’s order on Political parties coming Right to information act vs Government trying to amend RTI act to counter it.
- National Integration council meet in New Delhi.
- Disqualifying Convicted legislators (vs Governments ordinance/bill to counter it)
- Voters get NOTA (none of the above) choice. Allied topic: VVAP: Voter verified paper audit trail
- Andaman Grand Trunk Road: SC Banned Tourists to protect jarva tribe
- CBI autonomy
- Cauvery Water dispute tribunal
- Passport doesn’t prove Indian citizenship
[Awards] Nobel 2013
- Martin Karplus
- Michael Levitt
- Arieh Warshel
- Developing computer models that can predict chemical reactions for use in creating new drugs and other tasks.
- Eugene F. Fama
- Robert J. Shiller
- Lars Peter Hansen
|Research on how the market prices of assets/stocks move.
||Alice Munro (Canada)
- Master of the contemporary short story.
- often called “Canada’s Chekhov”
- Notable books: “The Moons of Jupiter,” ”The Progress of Love” and “Runaway.”
- 2009 Man Booker International Prize for her lifetime body of work
- James E. Rothman
- Randy W. Schekman
- Thomas C. Sudhof
- in understanding how key substances move within a cell.
- They developed better understanding of vesicles, tiny bubbles that deliver their cargo within a cell to the right place at the right time.
- Disturbances in that delivery system can lead to neurological diseases, diabetes or immunological disorders.
||Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. (OPCW)
- 190 nations signed its treaty.
- deploys teams worldwide to find chemical weapons and their manufacturing sites.
- Currently planning the destruction of chemical weapons stockpiles and facilities in Syria.
- HQ: Hague, Netherlands
- Chief: Ahmet Uzumcu
- Peter Higgs
- Francois Englert
- Theory about how subatomic particles get their mass.
- Their theory made headlines last year when the CERN laboratory in Geneva confirmed it by discovering the so-called Higgs particle.
||Protein receptors that let body cell respond to signals.
||Stable allocation + market design.
||First Chinese writer to get this award.
||Regenerative medicine. Cure disease by growing tissues in lab.
||Measure quantum particles, without destroying them.
- Venkatarama Ramakrishnan
- Amartya Sen
- Rudyard Kipling
- VS Naipaul
- Dr. Hargobind Khorana
- Mother Teresa
- S. Chandrasekhar
- Nobel prize recipients are called laureates. started in 1901
- The award consists of a medal, a personal diploma, and a cash prize (8-million Swedish kroner (SEK) – almost $1.2 million U.S. dollars as of September 2013). Money comes from fund created by Swedish inventor of Dynamite Alfred Nobel.
- The Economics medal has no inscription.
- Nobel prizes are announced in advance but awarded on December 10, the anniversary of Alfred Nobel’s death.
- The Nobel Prizes for Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature and Economics are awarded at a ceremony in Stockholm, Sweden.
- The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded at its own ceremony in Oslo, Norway. Periodically, no prize has been awarded. This happened most recently in 1972.
- The number of winners is limited to three per category.
- A person must be alive to be nominated. If they die during the consideration period, their name will be removed. Only if a person is announced as a winner and dies prior to the ceremony, will a posthumous award be given.
[Awards] Public service/media/Courage
|Indira Gandhi award for National integration
||2012: Gulzar2013: Agro Scientist MS Swaminathan
|Indira Gandhi peace prize
- 2011: Ela Ramesh Bhatt. SEWA founder. Actually won for in 2011, but was awarded that prize in 2013. SEWA= Self Employed Women’s Association
- 2012: Liberian President Ellen Sirleaf
||South African peace icon . Supporter of gay’s right.
||Former professor of IIT. Fasting for to stop construction along ganga.
|Lokmanya tilak award 2013
||Metro man E. Shreedharan
|Legend of the planet Award, France
||Bindeshwar Pathak for his ecofriendly toilets “Sulabh Sauchalayas”.
|Liberation of war honor
||Given to Pranab. By Bangladeshis for his contribution in 1971
|Magsaysay award 2013
- 2012: Kulandei Francis (India) for Microenterprises in TN. but for 2013 No Indian selected.
- Habiba Sarabi,Afghanistan’s first and only female governor.
- Ernesto Domingo, from the Philippines.
- Komisi Pemberantasan Korupsi (Corruption Eradication Commission),
- Lahpai Seng Raw, from Myanmar,
- Shakti Samuha (“Power Group”), from Nepal
|Mahatma Gandhi international award for peace reconciliation
||Brigalia Bam for 2013. for her work in human rights
- Youngest nominee for noble peace prize.
- Addressed UN assembly in Jul 13.
- UN declared 12 July as Malala Day.
- First Amputee to scale Everest: Arunima Sinha, UP.
- First Paki woman to scale Everest: Samina Baig.
- First Saudi woman to Everest: Raha Moharrak
- Youngest to climb Mt.Kilimanjaro in Africa: Aaryan Balaji.
|National Communal harmony awards 2011-12
||given in 2013 by President.
- Khamliana, Mizoram
- Mohd.Abdul Bari, Odisha
- Foundation for Amity and National solidarity, Delhi (org.)
|National Florence Nightingale award
||By Health ministry for Nursing professionals
|National Youth Icons
||Selected by election Commission of India, to attract young voters: Mary Kom, Saina, Dhoni and Kalam.
||Kiran Bedi for her public service.
|Outstanding parliamentarian 2012
||JDU MP Sharad Yadav. This selection by parliamentary award Committee.
- Raghunath Mohapatra, Sculpture, Orissa
- S Haider Raza, Painter, Delhi
- Prof Yash Pal, Science and Engineering, Uttar Pradesh
- Prof Roddam Narasimha, Science and Engineering, Karnataka
Padma Bhushan=24, Shri=80=list is not worth the ‘majoori’.
|Prem Bhati awards for political reporting
||Shalini Singh of The Hindu
||Richest award in Architecture.
|Pulitzer prizes 2013
||No award given in ‘fiction’ category, just like 2012. New York times won 4 awards
|Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavna award 2013
||Sarod maestro ustad amjad ali khan. Given on august 20 on Rajiv’s Birthday.
|Tagore Award 2013
||Zubin Mehta for cultural harmony. Jury included prime minister. Zubin had done music concert in Sri Nagar. Organized by German Embassy.
||For individual with great vision to change world. 2013’s award went to Prof. Sugata Mitra, an educationist.
|UN Public service awards
- Kerala’s mass contact program
- Swavalamban of Dhanbad district
- MP’s Graamin Haat.
|UN Youth courage award
||Razia Sultana, UP for helping child labourers.
||Considered green oscars. Indian wildlife biologist Aparajita Datta for protection of Hornbill in Arunanchal.
- Miss India 2013: Navneet Kaur Dhillon
- Miss America 2014: Nina Davuluri. Subjected to racist remarks on Twitter.
- Miss India Worldwide: Nehal Bhogaita, deaf and mute.
- Miss World 2013: Megan Young, Philippines. Venue: Bali, Indonesia
- Miss universe 2013: Yet to be decide because contest in Nov 2013. Venue: Moscow.
|Dada Saheb Phalke award 2012
|Golden bear award
||Given in Berlin film festival.
|National film award 2012
||Best film: Paan Singh Tomar
- Argo: best film
- Life of pie: best visual effects, direction etc.
- Indian entry: Barfi by Anurag Basu (Hindi)
||Indian entry : The Good Road, by Gyan Correa (Gujarati)
|SAARC film festival
||Held in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Paan Singh Tomar won best film award.
||Considered Noble for maths. Given to Belgaian Mathematician Pierre Deligne.
|Chameli Devi Jain Purasarkar
||For Outstanding Woman Mediaperson.Alka Dhupkar of IBN’s Marathi channel won it.
|Dan David Prize
||For one field each in three time dimensions: past, present and future. For science, arts and humanities.
|Education Nobel Prize
||Dr.Madhav Chawan. @Doha
||Started by Bill Gates + Warren Buffet. To encourage rich people to give part of their wealth for charity. Azim Premji first Indian to sign up.
||Considered oscars for environment movements / green nobel.
||Lauren Marbe, 16yo schoolgirl from UK. Has IQ Higher than Einstein.Neha Ramu: another UK girl of Indian origina has IQ 162.
|Life Science breakthru prize
||Started by Mark Zuckerberg (facebook) and Sergey Brin (google)
|National bioscience award
||Also called N-BIOS prize. Given to scientists below 45 age. Venkat Mohan got it.
||Sudarshan Patnayak. Has won Russian award for sand art competition in Russia.
|Sangeet Natak Academy awards
||awards started in 2006 in memory of shehnai maestro Ustad Bismillah Khan.2013: more than 30 people given this award hence list is not worth the ‘majoori’.
||Given for astronomy, medicine and maths.
|Yuri Milner award
||Richest academic prize for medicine and biology: 3 million USD each.
[Books in News]
Man Booker Fiction 2012
- Hilary Mantel’s Bring up the bodies. She has won this prize twice.
- Jeet Thayil’s Narcopolis-Tale of mumbai’s opimioum addiction. Booker price shortlisted but did not win.
Man Booker Fiction Shortlisted for 2013
|We Need New Names
|A Tale for the Time Being
|The Testament of Mary
Man Booker International 2013
- American writer Lydia Davis.
- Given every two year, to a living author.
- Work in English or translated in English.
- Indian author UR Ananthamurty was also nominated for his book novel “Samskara”
[Books] Non-Booker Awards
||Indira Goswami, Literature.
|Commonwealth book prize 2013
- Death of Bees, Lisa O’Donnell
- Island of a Thousand Mirrors, Nayomi Munaweera (Sri Lanka)
- Sterile Sky, E.E. Sule (Nigeria)
|DSC Prize for South Asian literature
||Jeet Thayil for his novel Narcopolis.
|Hindu Literary prize
||Jerry Pinto’s novel “Em and the Big hoom”.
||Ravuri Bharadwaj, Telugu writer.
|SAARC literature award
||@Agra in 2013. Indian poet-diplomat Abhay K. won. His books; Seduction of Delhi, Enigmatic love etc.
||Given by KK Birla foundationSugathakumari, Malyalam poetess for 2012
||Indian professor won award in london for translating Shakespeare’s work into Punjabi.
|Walter Scott Prize
||For historical fiction, UK
[Books] List of Books and Authors
|A garland of memories
|Ambedkar’s World: The Making of Babasaheb and Dalit Movement
|An uncertain Glory: India and its contradictions
||Jean dreze,Amrathya Sen
|Ash in the Belly- India’s unfinished battle against Hunger
|Bangladesh: The Prize of freedom
||By noted photographer Rahu Rai
|Breakout Nations: In pursuit of the next economic miracle
||Ruchir Sharma. Won Tata lit. award for first book.
|Calcutta: Two years in the city
||JK Rowling (Harry Potter fame) she wrote this novel with a pseudonym “Robert Galbraith”. Her previous novel Casual vacancy.
|Dare to Do! For the new Generation
||Former IPS Kiran Bedi
|Daughter of Empire
||Alice Munro, Canada
||WB CM Mamata Benerjee
|Economic Policies and India’s reform agenda
|Em and the Big hoom
||Jerry Pinto’s novel. Won Hindu Literary prize.
||Biopic on JULIAN ASSANGE (Wikileaks founder)
|Fractured Times: Culture and society in 20th Century
||Sanskrit grammar book written by a Jesuit Missionary For.Hanxlenden. Restored after 300 years.
||Won two man booker prizes. This time for book “Bring up the bodies”.
|How not to make money
||Raj Kundra (Shilpa Shetty’s husband) and allegedly involved in IPL spot fixing 2013.
|Impossible Indian: Gandhi and Temptation of violance
||Book by Stephane Hessel. Had inspired Occupy wallstreet movement. Author is dead.
||Dan Brown (he wrote Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Lost Symbol)
||Autobiography of Paki cricketer Mustaq Mohammad
|Jesus of Nazaeth: the Infancy narratives
||Pope Benedict XVI
|Kabuliwala’s Bengali Wife.
||By Sushmita Bangerjee. It details her escape from Taliban ruled Afghanistan in 1995. She was recently murdered by Talibans.
|Land of seven rivers
||Ronald Dworkin. Dead
|Life of Pi
||Yann Martel. Made into movie by Ang Lee. Suraj Sharma played hero.
|My father, our fraternity
||Sarod Maestro Amjal Ali Khan
|My journey: transforming dreams into actions
|My tryst with justice
||Justice PN Bhagwati
|Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and Germany
||By his daughter Prof Ania Pfaff
|New Market Tales
|Pataudi-Nawab of Cricket
|Patriots and Partition
|Samudra Mantha: Sino-Indian rivalry in the Indo Pacific
||Resul Pookutty- he had won Oscar for soundtrack in Slumdog Millionaire
||Prasun Joshi, Noted lyricist.
|The games Indians play why we are the way we are.
|The Great Gatsby
||Jhumpa Lahiri. shortlisted for Booker 2013 for fiction.
|The NaMo story
|The Prabhakaran Saga
|The Race of my life-an autobiography
|The Sea of innocence
||Kishwar Desai. About rape of Scarlet Jones in Goa.
|The test of my life: from cricket to cancer and back
|Untold story of people of Azad Kashmir
|Walking the lions: Tales from a diplomatic past
||became a member of ASEAN’s football federation.
||Retired. Played for Manchester united.
||India’s oldest football tournament. The prize money increased from 20 lakh to 50 lakh. Kolkata’s Mohammedan Sporting defeated defeated ONGC
||will use Goal line technology to determine ball had passed through goal line or not.. Will be Hosted in Brazil. Mascot: Armadillo called “Fuleco”.Lydia Nsekera, Burundi, First women in FIFA executive committee
|Golden Boot 2012
||President of all India Football Federation.
||South Asian football championship. Afghanistan defeated India.
||Services won against Kerala.
|Ashes series 2013
||England won Against Australia
|ICC Champions Trophy 2013
||India Won against England at Birmingham.
|ICC Women’s World Cup
||Australia defeated West Indies at Mumbai.
||Mumbai Indians defeated Chennai
|Parvez Rasool Asgar
||First person from J/K in Indian cricket team.
|Ranji Trophy 2013
||Mumbai defeated Suarashtra.
|T-20 World Cup
||England defeated New Zealand at Auckland.
||India’s woman opening batsman. First Indian player to hit century in women’s world cup 2012.
|Vijay Hazare Trophy
|World Cup 2015
- Jointly hosted by Australia and New Zealand in February 2015.
- Two groups of Seven Teams
- Both India and Pakistan are in pool-B.
|Asia Cup Hokey
||Held @Ipoh, Malayasia.South Korea defeated India.India’s VR Raghunath=Player of the tournament.
|Hockey India League
||Ranchi Rhinos won.
|Indian Hockey Federation
||President V.Dinesh Reddy
||Triple Olympic Gold Medalist from India.Dead.
|New coach for India
||Maharaj Kishan Kaushik
|Sultan Azlan Shah
||Australia defeated Malaysia
Tennis Tournaments 2013
||Man: Djokovic, Serbia 1st man to win this tournament three times in a row.
||Man: Andy Murray, UK
||Woman: Vicoria Azarenka, Belarus.
||Woman: Li Na
|Brazil Open, Madrid Open, Italian Open
||Men’s Doubles BhupathiWomen’s Doubles Sania Mizra
||Nadal. Became first player to win eight singles at the same grand slam tournament.
|Serena Williams, US
||Ande Murray. First Briton to win after 1936.
|Marion Bartoli. Her first grand slam single, French
|Serena Williams, US
||Vicoria Azarenka, Belarus.
|Doubles: Leander Paes and Stepanek (Czech)Paes’ Grandslams: 8 doubles, 14 overall.
||Some players from brazil and Australia
||Some unseeded player, hence name not important.
||Serena Williams (USA)
Davis Cup Commitment award: to Leander Paes and Jaidip Mukherji
|Indian Badminton League
||Indian Badminton league: similar to IPL.Lee Chong Wei costliest player went to mumbaiSaina Nehwal’s “Hyderabad hotshots” won it.
||Ratchano, ThailandLee Chong in Men
|Malaysian grand prix
||PV Sindhu defeated Singapore’s Juan Gu
|Thomas cup & Uber Cup
||Will be hosted in India in 2014
|World Badminton championship
||in Guangzhou, ChinaGold: Ratchanok Intanon (Thailand) female. Lin Dan (China) Man.Silver: not important.Bronze: PV Sindhu (India)
- IOC, International Olympic Committee: Thomas Batch (Germany) replaced Jacques Rogge.
- 2020 (Summer) Olympics will be held in Tokyo, Japan. Motto: Discover Tomorrow. and Wrestling is included.
- Special Olympics for disabled. India won 46 medals @Pyhongchang China.
- Olympics for Mentally disabled. Held in S.Korea
Indians @London Olympic 2012
||Bronze. 10 air-rifle
||discus throw. Did not win
||Bronze. Women flywt. Boxing
||Bronze. Single badminton
||Silver Wrestle 66kg. He was flag-bearer. He got bronze in 2008 Beijing.
||Silver. 25 rapid fire pistol. Rajiv G.Khel ratna
||Bronze. 60kg wrestle. Rajiv G.Khel ratna.
- These Indians won some foreign tournaments: Parimarajan Negi, P.Harikrishna.
- Widith Gujrathi: 30th Grandmaster
- Abijit Gupta: Commonwealth Chess Championship
- K.Jennitha: World chess championship for disabled.
- Grenke Chess classic 2013: Anand won
- Rupesh Shah: Asian Billiards
- Ronnie O’Sullivan: World Snooker-Became champion for the fifth time
- PGA 2013 Tigerwoods.
- Australian Grand prix 2013: Kimmy Raikkonel.
- Malkhamb: Madhya Pradesh declared it as state’s sport
- Henry Rebello: athlete from India, participated in London Olympics’48. Dead.
- Anand Shetty (Flying Bunt): Sprinter. Dead
- World cup for shooting: Rahi Sarnobat -1st Indian woman to win gold in pistol shooting.
- Archery World cup @Shanghai: Bronze by Indian women’s team.
- National Archery Championship at Raipur Chhattisgarh. Assam won.
- Swarn Singh Virk: won gold in Asian Rowing championship, China.
|Beijing Olympics 2008
||Fuwa (good-luck dolls)
|Cricket World Cup 2011
||Stumpy, the elephant.
||Shera, the tiger.
|Kabbadi world cup 2012, India
||JAANBAZ, the eagle.
|London Olympics 2012
||Wenlock + Mandeville. They symbolize Britain’s industrial revolution.
||Armadillo named “Fuleco”
|RG Khel Ratna
- Shooter Ronjan Sodhi. He had also won ISSF shooting world cup: (silver, double trap).
- Before him Khel Ratna was given to Wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt.
|Laureus Awards 2013
||Usain Bolt (male) and Jessica Ennis (Female) for their Olympic 2013 records.
Arjun Awards 2013
|Mr. Abhijeet Gupta
|Mr. Amit Kumar Saroha
|Mr. Dharmender Dalal
|Mr. Gagan Jeet Bhullar
|Mr. Ranjith Maheshwari
|Mr. Rupesh Shah
||Billiards & Snooker
|Mr. Virat Kohli
|Ms. Chekrovolu Swuro
|Ms. Joshna Chinnappa
|Ms. Kavita Chahal
|Ms. Mouma Das
|Ms. Neha Rathi
|Ms. P.V. Sindhu
|Ms. Rajkumari Rathore
|Ms. Saba Anjum
Dronacharya 2013 Award for Coaches
|Narinder Singh Saini
Places in News
||First city in South Asia to have a comprehensive heat action plan
||New wild banana species found-Musa Velutina
|Bangalore International airport
||renamed after Hiriya Kempegowda. He was a ruler under the Vijayanagar empire
||In Gawilgarh hills, MP. ASI has found 12000 year old paintings from here.
||Iran earthquake in april
||Odisha and Andhra
||world’s highest civilian airport, China.
||a major trade hub during Harappa period
||First inhabited world heritage monument under UNESCOOther five forts that got world heritage statute: Amber, Chittorgarh, Gangron, Kumbhalgarh.
||Vellore district TN. Neolithic bedrocks found. They were used for sharpning axes and stone tools.
||In Borneo island, Indonesia. World’s largest project for REDD+
|Kshripra river, Ujjain
||Gold coins of vikram aditya found belonging to first century Bc.
||India’s first marine eco sensitive zone by MoEF
|Maenam Wildlife Sanctury, Sikkim
||First wild life sanctury to have a skywalk and 22km ropeway
||Union cabinet gives it classical status, along with Tamil, Kannada and Telugu.
||Ancient Microcontinent. Its evidence found in W.Indian ocean.
|Meghalaya, Tripura, Manipur.
||Got their own high courts.Total HC (before) =21. After =24.This was done via amending North Eastern areas reorganisation act 1971
|Mount Fuji, Japan
||World Heritage status under UNESCOIn Honhu Island
||Third Tiger reserve in Rajasthan. Other two are Sariska and Ranthambhore
||Highest Krishi Vigyan kendra
||Nepoleaon era french gold coins found
|Praneshwara Temple, Shimoga district, Karnataka
||Ancient copper plates from Kalachurya dynasty.
||First airline to charge passengers based on their weight
||Agreed to cede some areas to its former province Kosovo.Under EU accord.Serbia-Capital BelgradeKosovo-Capital Pristina-Uses Euro as Currency.
||Started visa-free transit scheme with Beijing.
||China Launched its first carbon trading scheme here
||China earthquake of ritchers scale-7.
||Banned sale of non-native aquatic plants to prevent entry of invasive species.
||Covered here: click me
||Pre historic rock art found in Edakkal caves in Ambukuthy hills.
||Disputed islands in South China sea. China is offering tourists rides while Vietnam opposes.
Only covering import ones, else this will be a mile long list.
||Helped creating early version of RSS and Internet.
||In Feb’13. Hanged for parliament attack on 13/12/2001.Operation three star=codename for his hanging.
||Educationist. Associated with NCERT
||Hanged for 26/11/2008 terrorist attack.
||Historian and archaeologist
|Amar G. Bose
||Founder of Bose corp- Radios, speakers and audio systems
|Asgar Ali Engineer
||Islamic scholar. Dawoodi Bohra movement.
|Batindra Nath Mukharji
||Ancient Indian historian
||Carried the Great Train robbery in Britain.
||father of modern African Literature.
||He was the Secretary general of IMO (international maritime org). Elected for four consecutive terms. Longest serving secretary general of IMO. Ex IAS.
|Doctor Hilary Koprowski
||First successful oral vaccine for polio.
||Father of Computer mouse.
||Food Scientist and former director of central food research institute. Hold post in FAO and UN.
||athlete from India, participated in London Olympics’48. Dead.
||Creator of Mario and Donkey Kong games. Nintendo Company
||President of JK Singhania group.
||Founder of Cambodia’s notorious Khmer Rouge movement.
|John E Karlin
||Inventor of phone keypad.
|Kallam Anji Reddy
||Founder of Dr.Reddy’s lab.
||Indian classical dancer in Singapore.
||Sujani craft, Mithila painting
||Founder DG of NIC.
||Anti superstition activist. murdered for his campaigning. Recently Maharastra govt passed a anti superstition bill for that Dabolkar was campaigning for.
||eminent surgeon. He started first M.Ch. degree course in India.
||biologist and professor @ national centre for biological science. He setup molecular biology unit in tata institute of fundamental research.
|Pandit Ram Sneezehi Shukla
||Freedom fighter. Gandhi’s follower.
||Educationist. Ex-Director of IIT Madras
||Classical singer. Jaydev’s Git Govind.
||Kathakali maestro. Autobiography “Thiranottam”
||Filmmaker. Chokher Bali, Raincoat, Last Lear etc.
||Father of IVF technology. Won noble for
||Hitler’s bodyguard. Dead
||Coase theorm. Noble prize for economics. Dead.
||CEAT, Saregama, Philips carbon black etc.
||Part of Azad Hind Fauj during freedom struggle.
||Kamicha maestro of rajasthan.Belong to manganiyar folk musician community of rajasthan . Born in jaislmer. Padma shree, tulsi samman by Mp govt., Sangeet natak akadmi award. Died. Imp for RPSC pre
||attacked in Lahor Jail in Pakistan, died.
||Maths Genius, wrote many books on puzzles.
||Painter from Bengal school
||Bengali author. “Kabuliwala’s Bengali wife”. Killed by Talibans.
||Environment activist. Cleaning ganga through his Sankan Mochan foundation.
||Educationist. Brain behind Right to education act.
||First woman Chief election Commissioner of India
|Lt. Col Yograj puri
||died- Founder of first sainik school
Stamps in News
Separate collection given on following page covers all postal stamps to be launched till December 2013:
Hardly asked in IBPS/Banking exams, but if you’re in CAPF/CDS/IFoS/SSC/state PSC game then goto following page for the monthly and yearly compilations from The Hindu
Any additions or corrections- do post them in the comments below.
Thank you sir, I am not an aspirant for Govt services but for MBA exams, the GK and economy part is tooo good.
Super work sir/
Thank you very much.
Miss Universe 2013 winner is Miss Venezuela, Gabriela Isler
The 2013 Booker Prize for Fiction was awarded on 15 October 2013 to Eleanor Catton for her novel The Luminaries.
dhanywad bhut hi aachche notes hai
sushma singh new cic and nabard bank chairman harsh
Gabriela ISler is the new miss universe
thank you sir.its useful for all aspirants…
sir , cn u plz upload current affairs from nov. to jan …
@ above till oct . gvn …. plz rly
Airforce: Air Marshal Arup Raha replaced N.A.K. Browne
NSG DG: Jayanata Narayan Choudhury, IPS
plz provide me current affairs of nov dec and jan ……
if anybdy hv plz rly here
Thank you sir.its useful for all indians……
please give a new PIN mrunal ji
while applying ssc cgl through internet explorer, my internet explorer shows a msg box that “Netscape is not supported, use IE or opera”.. how to recover this problem? pls rply..
This is very good site….you are making tomorrow’s officers.
please update the list sir
Thank you sooo much sir…
Please keep updating and helping us this way!!
sir no updates for latest current affairs ….. plz update it …..v. good job …
Sir now new chairman of minority commission is Naseem Ahmad. So pls change this in PIN 2013 article.
New Service chiefs
Navy – Admiral R K Dhowan
Airforce – Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha
Army – army chief is also going to change & new chief may be Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, but it will be announced after may 1.. so pls change the details
Sir please provide PIN 2014
Realy super i got many important things…no words to say thank you..
Sir please provide PIN 2014
Please send the above information (PIN 2013) in PDF format…
Sir, please upload PIN for 2014 sbi-po it will be much useful for aspirants..
hai sir ,
will u pls send me the pdf formatted file of PIN 2013& 2014