- 12th Five Year Plan (FYP) vs DST
- National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy 2012
- Mapping Related
- International cooperation in S&T
- Awareness/PR campaigns
I’m running the Summary of Department of Science and Technology (DST)’s Annual Report 2012-13. This report contains some good material UPSC General Studies Mains Paper 3 Topics:
- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Total four part article series:
- Agro, EnB, Solar and Water
- Medical/Healthcare, Building-construction, textile, metal, plasma, Nano etc.
- Projects for benefit of SC, ST, Women, States and Human resource development
- Mapping, International relation (IR), awareness campaigns and awards: You’re here
DST given budget of >20,000 crore. With focus on:
- High Performance Computing
- National Geospatial Information System
- Revamping women scientists related schemes with “DISHA” program.
- Grants for scientists of Indian origin returning to India for research careers.
+usual programs for fellowship, women empowerment, SC/ST/elderly, climate change, safe drinking water etc. that we’ve seen in previous three parts.
- Department of Science & Technology (DST) would be the Nodal Department
- to promote data sharing and enable access to Government of India owned data for national planning and development.
- make non-strategic data available under RTI
- Increase the accessibility and easier sharing of non-sensitive data amongst the registered users for scientific, economic and social developmental purposes.
- Union=>gives ca$h to state government/universities. whatever data is generated because of this ca$h= will fall under this data sharing policy.
|DAMS||Survey of India gave technical advisory for various Hydro-Electric Projects. E.g.
|IISM||Indian Institute of Surveying & Mapping (IISM), under Survey of India. Runs courses on M.Sc, M.Tech etc.|
|MUSEUM||aims to setup National Museum on Surveying and Mapping|
|NUIS||National Urban Information System (NUIS) Scheme.to develop spatial database to help urban planning and management.|
|Surveykshan portal||www.surveykshan.gov.inprovides web-based access to seamless 1:50,000 topographic data of Survey of India. with help of NSDI.even gives GIS data assets from Survey of India (SOI) and Forest Survey of India (FSI).|
|WORLD BANK||gave ca$H to Survey of India for preparing coastal zone maps of India . Will help predicting hazards/disasters.|
- a subordinate office under Department of Science & Technology,
- Sole authority for creating thematic maps and atlases- both in paper and digital format.
- To educate juntaa about physiographic, hydrologic, climatic, administrative, political, social, agricultural, industrial, cultural and economic changes in the country.
- NATMO is also the pioneer of Urban Mapping in India – through Satellite data + GPS verification.
- Special maps for tourists to show detailed information on national parks, wild life sanctuaries, cultural heritage etc.
|Golden map Service (GMS)||by NATMO.Provides route maps between two points in the country.Provides location maps of any site of the country on web either by place-names or by geographical co-ordinates.
uses data from Indian Remote Sensing Satellites (IRS) series, cartosat.
|NATIONAL ATLAS OF INDIA||National Atlas is the flagship publication of NATMO.Depicts the india’s geology, geography, geomorphology, demography, culture, administration, etc. in thematic map form.|
|DPMS||DISTRICT PLANNING MAP SERIES (DPMS)gives ready reckoner district maps to planners, researchers, students.both paper + electronic format.|
|Gender Atlas||A web-based atlas using the Open Source Tools and Open Standardson gender vulnerabilities across class, caste and social locations.|
|NRDMS||NATURAL RESOURCES DATA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (NRDMS)promoting Geospatial Governance (g-governance) +R&D +HRD.|
|NSDI||National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI)to support implementation of the National Geo-spatial Information System (NGIS) during the 11th Five Year Plan.|
|GISE||Geo-Information Science & Engineering (GISE)by DST. Project given to IIT Bombay.will help in agro-advisory solutions, drinking water supply etc. using geo-spatial analysis.|
DST looks after:
These activates help in following way
- they promote use Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) as a tool of diplomacy and foreign relations
- Increase India’s ranks for scientific excellence worldwide.
- Leverage foreign alliances and partnerships to accelerate R&D, reduce our cost and effort.
Let’s check some countries:
(Most of this data from 2012, so not ‘latest’. use it as and where applicable or just ignore.)
you’ll find a better list here: http://mrunal.org/2013/06/diplomacy-india-us-4th-strategic-dialogue-part-2-of-3-science-tech-space-health-care-cooperation.html
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education
- Women in Science
- hurricane weather research and forecasting (HWRF) system;
- “Triple trouble”: malnutrition, tuberculosis and HIV in India;
- Virtual Centre on Mathematics and Computer Sciences
- US Joint Clean Energy R&D Centre
- Nutrition guidelines for type-2 diabetes mellitus
- brain disorders, cancer
- Industry-academia interaction for drug discovery
- Internet, cloud computing, data applications, etc.
- joint collaboration between India and UK
- Phase 2 started from 2012 mainly concentrating on three broad areas i.e.
- Heterogenous Wireless Access Networks (HELNET)
- Application and Services
- Core Networks Systems
Other projects with UK collaboration
- polymer fuel cell: improving their performance and and commercialization
- JETCELL : Inkjet Printing on Porous Metal Substrate
- Advancing Biogas Utilization
- Bridging the rural/urban divide’ for providing technological solutions to improve the quality of life of rural inhabitants in both countries
- solar Energy Research: aimed towards development of solar photo-voltaic systems.
- stem cell research,
- new energy sources including hydrogen.
- India-EU signed Joint Declaration on Research and Innovation Cooperation
- 2012: ‘Brussels’ Communiqué’ was adopted to Jointly develop a Strategic Research & Innovation Agenda(SRIA) for medium to long term India-EU/Member States Partnership.
- topics: affordable healthcare, sustainable environment and water, bio-economy, agriculture, energy
- Established a Group of Senior Officials (GSO): a three tier structure for streamlining governance of Indo-European S&T cooperation
- Dye Sensitized Solar Celltechnology for efficient Solar cells
|UNESCO||India may support UNESCO declaring 2014 as International Year of Crystallography. It would allow India to showcase its competencies by hosting regional & international events.|
|FAIR||Facility for Anti Proton Research (FAIR). @GermanyIndia gave money and got 3% partnership.|
|telescopes||India funding projects for
|CERN||we’ve given man-material support 4following projects @CERN Geneva
We’re also trying to get ‘Associate Membership’ of CERN. This will help our desi scientific community in future.
|overall||In 2012, India completed regional and multilateral S&T cooperation related agreements with following:
|France||Indo-French Centre for Promotion of Advanced Research completed 25 years in 2012.|
|Germany, Finland||Green chemistry|
|Israel||Solar Energy, robotics|
|Japan||space, manufacturing, biomedical science|
|Netherlands||Smart Materials and Smart Grid (energy)|
|Portugal||smart textiles, microelectronics, mechanical engineering|
|Russia||Delhi unit of Indo-Russian S&T Centre (IRSTC) was inaugurated in 2012.|
|S.Africa||HIV/AIDS and TB.|
|S.Korea||Energy and Environment.|
|Spain||Pharma, Agri, Food processing,|
|Switzerland, Tunisia, Ukrain||Medical health, Infectious diseases.|
- Vigyan Prasar is a National Institute for science communication + popularization of science
- via magazines, radio-television programs.
- for example during National Mathematical Year 2012 they ran Television serials, Radio serials, handbook, special outreach through EduSAT to promote maths.
|Dream 2047||bi-lingual science magazine from Vigyan prasar.you can read free PDF from their official site: http://www.vigyanprasar.gov.in/dream/index1.asp|
let’s check some more awareness campaigns/Public relation (PR) exercises:
|BEST||BUILDING EDUCATORS FOR SCIENCE TEACHING.program launched in 2012To upgrade skills of science teachers and make science education more enjoyable, purposeful & meaningful.|
|Children’s science congress||
|NATIONAL SCIENCE DAY||
|NATIONAL YEAR OF MATHEMATICS||2012 was declared as the National Year of Mathematicsfor Ramanujan Chandrashekhar’s 125th Birthday.|
|SCIENCE BEHIND MIRACLES||Awareness campaigns to explain magical tricks used by (Bogus) Godmen, baba-log to fool idiot devotes.|
|VIGYAN JATHA||in Northeastern Region and Bundelkhand Region mobilizing science awareness campaigns.|
|Vijoshi Camp||to give chance of personal contact between the students and the leaders of Science. 2012 camp held in Banglore.|
Boring, you may ignore if running out of time for mains 2013.
- given to industries for developing indigenous technology
- By DST, on Technology Day = 11th May
- ca$h comes from DST=>Technology Development Board (TDB)=>award winner.
|Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) + a private co. from Karnataka||successful commercial production of Bluetongue pentavalent vaccine and Johne’s disease vaccine for the first time in India|
|private co. from Banglore||a digital Strain Measurement System.|
|private co. from Pune||Coordinate Measuring Machine in 3D device for Measuring the Physical Geometrical Characteristics of an Object.|
|IGis||Integrated GIS and Image Processing Softwareplayers: Scnpoint Geomatic (company in A’bad) with help of ISRO, A’bad.|
|Zen DTS||Zen Driving Training simulator (Zen DTS) for Overseas market|
|DIAON||Energy Saving MAG Coupled Induction lights with Wire-free Lighting ManagementAuto-dimming facilities based on real time clockproduct saves energy compared to conventional lighting system.|
Blood Chemistry Analyser & Compact Portable Mobile Lab.
- by Amit Bhanagar/IIT with funding from DST.
- This Analyser supports the analysis of 23 parameters including Haemoglobin count, Blood Glucose, Urea, Uric Acid, Creatinine, Bilirubin, Cholesterol, etc
- testing cost: Rs. 120 per person.
- can test 4000 samples per day
- Costs ~80000 rupees.
Modular Tablet PC
- by two young IITians- Sh. Rohan Pandey and Sh. Rohit Rathi.
- Their Tablet PC is differentiated from other similar product in the market as it integrates ZigBee along with WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G.
- designed like a book: and it has 2 displays, one in front like a Magazine and another on the spine to show secondary information.
- cost Rs.~12000
|some Banglore company||
Given by Department of Biotech
||using biomaterials in treatment of orthopaedic surgical challenges.|
||Monoclonal antibody based Diagnostics Kits for white spot virus of shrimp.|
||parentage verification kits of Buffalo, cattle, sheep, goat, camel, Yak and Mithun.|
for more on sci and tech visit Mrunal.org/snt