- 12th Five Year Plan (FYP) vs DST
- National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy 2012
- Mapping Related
- International cooperation in S&T
- Awareness/PR campaigns
I’m running the Summary of Department of Science and Technology (DST)’s Annual Report 2012-13. This report contains some good material UPSC General Studies Mains Paper 3 Topics:
- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Total four part article series:
- Agro, EnB, Solar and Water
- Medical/Healthcare, Building-construction, textile, metal, plasma, Nano etc.
- Projects for benefit of SC, ST, Women, States and Human resource development
- Mapping, International relation (IR), awareness campaigns and awards: You’re here
12th Five Year Plan (FYP) vs DST
DST given budget of >20,000 crore. With focus on:
- High Performance Computing
- National Geospatial Information System
- Revamping women scientists related schemes with “DISHA” program.
- Grants for scientists of Indian origin returning to India for research careers.
+usual programs for fellowship, women empowerment, SC/ST/elderly, climate change, safe drinking water etc. that we’ve seen in previous three parts.
National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy 2012
- Department of Science & Technology (DST) would be the Nodal Department
- to promote data sharing and enable access to Government of India owned data for national planning and development.
- make non-strategic data available under RTI
- Increase the accessibility and easier sharing of non-sensitive data amongst the registered users for scientific, economic and social developmental purposes.
- Union=>gives ca$h to state government/universities. whatever data is generated because of this ca$h= will fall under this data sharing policy.
Survey of India
|DAMS||Survey of India gave technical advisory for various Hydro-Electric Projects. E.g.
|IISM||Indian Institute of Surveying & Mapping (IISM), under Survey of India. Runs courses on M.Sc, M.Tech etc.|
|MUSEUM||aims to setup National Museum on Surveying and Mapping|
|NUIS||National Urban Information System (NUIS) Scheme.to develop spatial database to help urban planning and management.|
|Surveykshan portal||http://www.surveykshan.gov.inprovides web-based access to seamless 1:50,000 topographic data of Survey of India. with help of NSDI.even gives GIS data assets from Survey of India (SOI) and Forest Survey of India (FSI).|
|WORLD BANK||gave ca$H to Survey of India for preparing coastal zone maps of India . Will help predicting hazards/disasters.|
National Atlas of India (NATMO)
- a subordinate office under Department of Science & Technology,
- Sole authority for creating thematic maps and atlases- both in paper and digital format.
- To educate juntaa about physiographic, hydrologic, climatic, administrative, political, social, agricultural, industrial, cultural and economic changes in the country.
- NATMO is also the pioneer of Urban Mapping in India – through Satellite data + GPS verification.
- Special maps for tourists to show detailed information on national parks, wild life sanctuaries, cultural heritage etc.
|Golden map Service (GMS)||by NATMO.Provides route maps between two points in the country.Provides location maps of any site of the country on web either by place-names or by geographical co-ordinates.
uses data from Indian Remote Sensing Satellites (IRS) series, cartosat.
|NATIONAL ATLAS OF INDIA||National Atlas is the flagship publication of NATMO.Depicts the india’s geology, geography, geomorphology, demography, culture, administration, etc. in thematic map form.|
|DPMS||DISTRICT PLANNING MAP SERIES (DPMS)gives ready reckoner district maps to planners, researchers, students.both paper + electronic format.|
|Gender Atlas||A web-based atlas using the Open Source Tools and Open Standardson gender vulnerabilities across class, caste and social locations.|
Mapping related: misc.
|NRDMS||NATURAL RESOURCES DATA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (NRDMS)promoting Geospatial Governance (g-governance) +R&D +HRD.|
|NSDI||National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI)to support implementation of the National Geo-spatial Information System (NGIS) during the 11th Five Year Plan.|
|GISE||Geo-Information Science & Engineering (GISE)by DST. Project given to IIT Bombay.will help in agro-advisory solutions, drinking water supply etc. using geo-spatial analysis.|
International cooperation in S&T
DST looks after:
These activates help in following way
- they promote use Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) as a tool of diplomacy and foreign relations
- Increase India’s ranks for scientific excellence worldwide.
- Leverage foreign alliances and partnerships to accelerate R&D, reduce our cost and effort.
Let’s check some countries:
(Most of this data from 2012, so not ‘latest’. use it as and where applicable or just ignore.)
you’ll find a better list here: https://mrunal.org/2013/06/diplomacy-india-us-4th-strategic-dialogue-part-2-of-3-science-tech-space-health-care-cooperation.html
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education
- Women in Science
- hurricane weather research and forecasting (HWRF) system;
- “Triple trouble”: malnutrition, tuberculosis and HIV in India;
- Virtual Centre on Mathematics and Computer Sciences
- US Joint Clean Energy R&D Centre
- Nutrition guidelines for type-2 diabetes mellitus
- brain disorders, cancer
- Industry-academia interaction for drug discovery
- Internet, cloud computing, data applications, etc.
- joint collaboration between India and UK
- Phase 2 started from 2012 mainly concentrating on three broad areas i.e.
- Heterogenous Wireless Access Networks (HELNET)
- Application and Services
- Core Networks Systems
Other projects with UK collaboration
- polymer fuel cell: improving their performance and and commercialization
- JETCELL : Inkjet Printing on Porous Metal Substrate
- Advancing Biogas Utilization
- Bridging the rural/urban divide’ for providing technological solutions to improve the quality of life of rural inhabitants in both countries
- solar Energy Research: aimed towards development of solar photo-voltaic systems.
- stem cell research,
- new energy sources including hydrogen.
- India-EU signed Joint Declaration on Research and Innovation Cooperation
- 2012: ‘Brussels’ Communiqué’ was adopted to Jointly develop a Strategic Research & Innovation Agenda(SRIA) for medium to long term India-EU/Member States Partnership.
- topics: affordable healthcare, sustainable environment and water, bio-economy, agriculture, energy
- Established a Group of Senior Officials (GSO): a three tier structure for streamlining governance of Indo-European S&T cooperation
- Dye Sensitized Solar Celltechnology for efficient Solar cells
with various bodies
|UNESCO||India may support UNESCO declaring 2014 as International Year of Crystallography. It would allow India to showcase its competencies by hosting regional & international events.|
|FAIR||Facility for Anti Proton Research (FAIR). @GermanyIndia gave money and got 3% partnership.|
|telescopes||India funding projects for
|CERN||we’ve given man-material support 4following projects @CERN Geneva
We’re also trying to get ‘Associate Membership’ of CERN. This will help our desi scientific community in future.
|overall||In 2012, India completed regional and multilateral S&T cooperation related agreements with following:
With other countries
|France||Indo-French Centre for Promotion of Advanced Research completed 25 years in 2012.|
|Germany, Finland||Green chemistry|
|Israel||Solar Energy, robotics|
|Japan||space, manufacturing, biomedical science|
|Netherlands||Smart Materials and Smart Grid (energy)|
|Portugal||smart textiles, microelectronics, mechanical engineering|
|Russia||Delhi unit of Indo-Russian S&T Centre (IRSTC) was inaugurated in 2012.|
|S.Africa||HIV/AIDS and TB.|
|S.Korea||Energy and Environment.|
|Spain||Pharma, Agri, Food processing,|
|Switzerland, Tunisia, Ukrain||Medical health, Infectious diseases.|
- Vigyan Prasar is a National Institute for science communication + popularization of science
- via magazines, radio-television programs.
- for example during National Mathematical Year 2012 they ran Television serials, Radio serials, handbook, special outreach through EduSAT to promote maths.
|Dream 2047||bi-lingual science magazine from Vigyan prasar.you can read free PDF from their official site: http://www.vigyanprasar.gov.in/dream/index1.asp|
let’s check some more awareness campaigns/Public relation (PR) exercises:
|BEST||BUILDING EDUCATORS FOR SCIENCE TEACHING.program launched in 2012To upgrade skills of science teachers and make science education more enjoyable, purposeful & meaningful.|
|Children’s science congress||
|NATIONAL SCIENCE DAY||
|NATIONAL YEAR OF MATHEMATICS||2012 was declared as the National Year of Mathematicsfor Ramanujan Chandrashekhar’s 125th Birthday.|
|SCIENCE BEHIND MIRACLES||Awareness campaigns to explain magical tricks used by (Bogus) Godmen, baba-log to fool idiot devotes.|
|VIGYAN JATHA||in Northeastern Region and Bundelkhand Region mobilizing science awareness campaigns.|
|Vijoshi Camp||to give chance of personal contact between the students and the leaders of Science. 2012 camp held in Banglore.|
Boring, you may ignore if running out of time for mains 2013.
National Awards on Technology
- given to industries for developing indigenous technology
- By DST, on Technology Day = 11th May
- ca$h comes from DST=>Technology Development Board (TDB)=>award winner.
|Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) + a private co. from Karnataka||successful commercial production of Bluetongue pentavalent vaccine and Johne’s disease vaccine for the first time in India|
|private co. from Banglore||a digital Strain Measurement System.|
|private co. from Pune||Coordinate Measuring Machine in 3D device for Measuring the Physical Geometrical Characteristics of an Object.|
|IGis||Integrated GIS and Image Processing Softwareplayers: Scnpoint Geomatic (company in A’bad) with help of ISRO, A’bad.|
|Zen DTS||Zen Driving Training simulator (Zen DTS) for Overseas market|
|DIAON||Energy Saving MAG Coupled Induction lights with Wire-free Lighting ManagementAuto-dimming facilities based on real time clockproduct saves energy compared to conventional lighting system.|
Tech. Business incubator awards 2013
Blood Chemistry Analyser & Compact Portable Mobile Lab.
- by Amit Bhanagar/IIT with funding from DST.
- This Analyser supports the analysis of 23 parameters including Haemoglobin count, Blood Glucose, Urea, Uric Acid, Creatinine, Bilirubin, Cholesterol, etc
- testing cost: Rs. 120 per person.
- can test 4000 samples per day
- Costs ~80000 rupees.
Modular Tablet PC
- by two young IITians- Sh. Rohan Pandey and Sh. Rohit Rathi.
- Their Tablet PC is differentiated from other similar product in the market as it integrates ZigBee along with WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G.
- designed like a book: and it has 2 displays, one in front like a Magazine and another on the spine to show secondary information.
- cost Rs.~12000
|some Banglore company||
Biotech Awards 2013
Given by Department of Biotech
||using biomaterials in treatment of orthopaedic surgical challenges.|
||Monoclonal antibody based Diagnostics Kits for white spot virus of shrimp.|
||parentage verification kits of Buffalo, cattle, sheep, goat, camel, Yak and Mithun.|
for more on sci and tech visit Mrunal.org/snt
Please provide link to part 1 and 2…
Cant find on the blog.
here are the links:
sir, what about the articles on modern history and freedom movements ? these topics are very important for all exams.
SEARCH option in your blog is not working properly. Its Google custom search provides result of other sites but not of your blog.(even if search results r avl in your blog)
anyone having center at rohini sector 23 .. would like to share cab from karol bagh?