- Agri / Dairy related
- Environment and Biodiversity (EnB) related
- Solar/ Energy related
- Drinking Water related
I’m running the Summary of Department of Science and Technology (DST)’s Annual Report 2012-13. This report contains some good material UPSC General Studies Mains Paper 3 Topics:
- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Total four part article series:
- Agro, EnB, Solar and Water (We’re here)
- Medical/Healthcare, Building-construction, textile, metal, plasma, Nano etc.
- Projects for benefit of SC, ST, Women, States and Human resource development
- Mapping, International relation (IR), awareness campaigns and awards.
ok But What about the Hindu science tech compilation for Sep-Oct-Nov? I’ll release it after 15th Nov.
Agri / Dairy related
Potash from Sea Water
- Potassium is an essential plant nutrient. MOP (Muriate of Potash) and SOP (Sulphate of Potash) are the popular forms of potassic fertilizer,
- but We don’t have local mineral resources, have to rely on Potash through imports= more current account deficit
- However, we’re blessed with long coast line=salt production.
- Britten= bitter liquid remaining after common salt has been crystallized out of sea water.
- This Britten can be used to harvest potassium chloride (20-25 gms per liter)=> further processing will give Potash.
- DST funding project for this indigenous production of Potash.
- + another project to extract ultra-pure magnesia from seawater
Banana Stem for Paper Making
- India being the largest producer of banana in the world
- But Banana stem=generally discarded as waste.
- banana stem+wheat straw / Bagasses=>pulp them = can be used for paper making and reinforcement fibres
- this will reduce the need to import softwood/hardwood pulp.
Non-Edible Oils (NEO)
- Example of Non-Edible oils= Wild Apricot, Karanj, Malkangni, Jojoba, Wild Castor
- NEO can be used for making soaps, lubricants, paints and varnishes, medicines etc.
- But all value-addition and employment generation takes place in urban-industrial areas.
- And tribals get very low income for collecting raw material.
- DST promoting a hub-and-spoke supply chain using Village level women SHG.
let’s check some more projects supported by DST:
|bio control agents= using bugs/living organism to destroy other pests. DST running project to see bio control potential of
|Solar Tunnel Dryers for Copra Production in TN.|
Hand Held Electronic Nose (HEN)
|Jack fruit cutter @ Thiruvananthapuram, minimize women’s drudgery involved in jackfruit processing|
Milk protein estimator
|for tea aroma classification|
solar food processing
|solar food processing of non-timber forest produce such as Gum Karaya, Satavari, Neelavemu and Maredugaddalu for value addition and income generation for tribal farmers.|
PEOPLE LIVING IN DIFFICULT AREAS
|ASAR||for people living in the Arid and Semi-arid Regions e.g. Rajasthan, Gujarat and MP|
|CODER||for people living Cold Desert Regions. e.g. JK, HP.|
These programs focus on Soil and water management, Sustainable Agriculture etc.
Environment and Biodiversity (EnB) related
National Action plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) => two components for DST
- National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change (NMSKCC)
- National Mission for Sustaining Himalayan Ecosystem (NMSHE)
DST also helped in following projects related to climate change
- measuring Long Term Changes in Sea Level along Indian Coast by National Institute of Oceanography
- studying Climate Change on Agriculture and Forest Ecosystem in Indo-Gangetic Plains
- case studies for sustainable livelihood and climate change by IRMA (Indian Institute of Rural Management) Anand.
- Knowledge for Climate Studies Centre by Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
FLY ASH UNIT
- Coal based thermal power plants=>release fly ash=>pollution.
- but fly ash could also be used for
- Construction of railway embankments
- in concrete for critical structures such as building
- foundation material for turbo- generators, chimneys and cooling towers etc. in power plants
- DST promotes R&D for such uses of fly ash to change the image of fly ash from a “WASTE MATERIAL” to a “RESOURCE MATERIAL”.
- Since its inception, this project has added economic returns worth >3 billion USD and employment >1 million people.
- Even Russia has sought the expertise of this fly Ash Unit.
- NATIONAL MISSION ON BAMBOO APPLICATIONS (NMBA) by DST
- to promote bamboo related to create economic opportunity, income and employment for the tribal.
|Bamboo For School Buildings||
|Bamboo Vinegar Oil||
|Thermoplastics||Bamboo thermoplastics are being used in the non-critical components/ interior decoration of 2/3 wheeler vehicles (i.e. three wheeler and two wheeler).|
|Arsenic Kit||for detecting arsenic levels in drinking water. Uses silver nitrate.|
|Artificial Glacier Technology||water bodies constructed in Leh region for livelihood generation and irrigation purpose.|
|Greenway Smart Stove||
|WaSH||ECO & WaSH (WATER, SANITATION & HYGIENE) FUTURESProgram for science communications related to eco-resources and water, sanitation & hygiene.|
2007: DST launched NATIONAL PROGRAM ON CARBON SEQUESTRATION RESEARCH (NPCSR).
At present DST funding projects for
- Bio-fixation of CO2 using microalgae Scenedesmus sp. It grows well in industry effluent=cheap cost.
- Bio-logical carbon sequestration in terrestrial, fresh water and marine forms.
- Microbial fuel cell
- carbon sequestration for crop land, forest land, grass land, wet land and agro-ecosystem etc.
Solar/ Energy related
let’s check some projects supported by DST:
|ARTI||Appropriate Rural Technology Institute(ARTI), Pune, Maharashtrafor converting agricultural and other waste into high grade fuels.|
|Dye Sensitized Solar Cell Technology||
|Hybrid Solar-Biomass Powerplant||
Drinking Water related
- Winning, Augmentation and Renovation (WAR) for water program.
- DST giving funds for developing low cost solutions using indigenous technology for safe drinking water, purification, recycling etc. let’s check progress:
|States||water problem||solution given|
|Andhra, TN||saline water, bacteria etc||Reverse osmosis and UV treatment|
Next part, we’ll see DST’s support to medical, electronics, plasma research etc.
yup Much awaited. article for world geography would also be gr8 mrunal bhai…plz not many days left and m counting on u :)
thank you very much
Thank u so much sir, can u pls provide us some mock questions on these kind of reports and topics.
i want to meet you…..
pls send me ur contact details pls
mrunal sir, please provide some case studies related to the topics of general studies paper-5 of IAS mains syllabus…..
Nothing can beat this one……Thanks Mrunal…
great work…. n very helpful… On a different note,,, could u suggest some sources for Ethics paper….particularly for these topics
1.ethics and human interface
2.dimensions of ethics,human values
3.moral & political attitudes,social influence and persuasion
4.Emotional intelligence,ethical guidance
5.contribution of moral thinkers& philosophers
since i have time,,, i m thinking of reading some standard material rather than readymade stuff available in the market. please guide. thanks in advance. :)
This compilation will surely help in reducing drudgery on our part. Thanks!
Sharma ? is this u??
i am not able to save your article kindily help me sir ji.
Sharma ??? Is this u??
Pls provide all materiał in hindi……
Bhai you promised the Sept-Oct-Nov Science tech compilation after 15 Nov. Please release it soon.
Thanks in advance.
Great work mrunal saab
Mrunal ji , your compiled collection is excelant and really apreciable for all learners as well as competitors.GRT.
DR BALRAJ VISHNOI
COOPERATIVE DEPARTMENT RAJASTHAN
sir’ plzzzzzzzzzz provide science tech material in hindi…….gets lots of problm during writing in hindi these notes…..