- L6/P1: IMF, SDR, Quota reform & Gold standard Exchange rate
- L6/P2: WTO, Bali Package, Food subsidy issue, TFA
- L6/P3: Money- evolution and functions
- L6/P4: Bitcoins- mechanism, money laundering, RBI’s stand
- On 27th February 2015, My lecture at IMF-WTO-Bitcoin at Sardar Patel institute of Public Administration (SPIPA), Ahmedabad.
- Total ~2:30 hours but I’ve split it into four parts and uploaded on youtube.
- PowerPoint of the lecture, available at Mrunal.org/Download
- Medium of instruction- Hindi.
- English version not possible for the moment, because I’m required to teach at this batch, in Hindi/Gujarati only. Besides, same content is available in English-text articles or English PPTs on the site.
L6/P1: IMF, SDR, Quota reform & Gold standard Exchange rate
- Bretton Woods conference and the origin of International monetary fund
- IMF: structure and functions
- What is gold standard exchange rate regime? Why did it fail?
- What are special drawing rights (SDRs)?
- Value of individual SDR and its utility
- Criticism against IMF and the need for need for reforms in it?
- IMF Reforms: (1) Quota reforms (2) governance structure reforms
- BRICS Bank vs AIIB (Self study)
L6/P2: WTO, Bali Package, Food subsidy issue, TFA
- General Agreement on Tariff and trade (GATT) and the origin of World Trade Organisation (WTO)
- WTO: structure and functions
- difference between tariff and nontariff barriers in international trade
- major agreements under WTO.
- SPS Agreement: Sanitary and phytosanitary measures, ban on Indian Alphonso and American poultry
- Three types of subsidies: green box, Amber box and blue box- and provisions of WTO on them.
- Agreement on agriculture –food subsidies quota on developed and developing countries.
- WTO Bali summit and its 3 major outcomes
- Peace clause: origin, purpose and features
- Trade facilitation agreement (TFA)- origin, purpose, features, why did India refused to sign it initially?
- Shanta Kumar FCI-PDS reform Angle to food subsidies
L6/P3: Money- evolution and functions
- Barter system: features, pros and cons
- Money: primary functions and derivative functions
- Divisibility versus fungibility
- Evolution of money- the five stages
- commodity money: features, pros and cons
- metallic money- features, pros and cons
- Debasement of metallic money and fall of Mughal empire
- Paper money- two types: Gold standard versus paper standard
- Indian rupee- paper standard system: coins vs currency- RBI vs Government- who prints what?
- Fiat money: meaning, examples and limitations
- Bank money- meaning, examples, benefits
L6/P4: Bitcoins- mechanism, money laundering, RBI’s stand
- Need for a “decentralized” digital currency
- Satoshi Nakomoto and the origin of bitcoin
- How does Bitcoin system can operate?
- mining of bitcoins, hashrate, computer technology
- Bitcoin E-wallet or Digital wallet transactions- why and how are they anonymous?
- Compare and contrast: RTGS-NEFT-Bitcoins
- how can Bitcoin be used in money laundering, terrorism and drug trafficking
- Casestudy: Silkroad website & illegal trade of coccain using bitcoin currency
- Bitcoin vs Dollar: historic fluctuations in exchange rate
- officers stand of People’s Bank of China and reserve bank of India (RBI) on bitcoins
- How does Bitcoin violate FEMA and Prevention of money laundering act?
- US’s official stand on bitcoins and capital transaction tax on them.
- Misc. developments: Laxmicoin and fall of Mt.Gox bitcoin exchange website
- possible questions for interviews from this topic.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!