In 2013, UPSC updated the Mains syllabus for Civil Service Exam. Accordingly Paper I contains following topics of geography:
- Salient features of world’s physical geography.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent);
- Factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc.,
- Geographical features and their location- changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc. (In GS Paper III)
I’ve started with the third topic: (Factors responsible for location of industries). Here is the list of articles published so far. (If you’re new to this site, start reading from the bottom-up)
- [Download] Geography Mains 2013 Paper 1 & Paper 2 for UPSC Civil Service IAS IPS Exam Optional Subject
- [Answerkey] CAPF-2013: Geography, Environment-Biodiversity(EnB) & Agriculture-MCQ solved with explanation, reference
- [Geography] Location Factors: Aluminium, Copper, Natural Gas Refining, Petroleum Refining, Synthetic Fibers
- [Geography] Location Factors: Iron-Steel, Heavy Engineering, Automobiles for UPSC GS Mains Paper 1 & Detroit Bankruptcy
- [Geography] Location Factors: Sugar, Tea, Coffee, Rubber and Cocoa for UPSC General Studies Mains Paper 1
- [Geography] Location Factors: Wheat, Corn, Milk, Meat, Pig, Poultry, Vegetable and Wine
- [Geography] Location Factors: Cotton Textile, Wool, Silk, Jute; Why China #1 in Silk; Why Textile industry in Osaka, Manchester, Lancashire, Mumbai
- [Geography] Location Factors: Timber, Paper Pulp, Fishing industry: why developed in Higher latitudes of Northern Hemisphere