Election, Representation of People’s Act
- [RPA] Paid News, Election commission Guidelines, why Amend RPA, Ethics in Journalism
- [Elections] NR Madhava Menon Committee report on Government advertizements in Media
- [Parliament] Leader of Opposition (LoP) appointment controversy, 10% Rule, Consequences
- [Elections] EVM Totalizer, VVPAT, Form20, Voter Confidentiality, Ballot Unit, Control Unit, Auxilliary Display Unit
- [Elections] Indelible Ink, Registered Party, Star Campaigner, Deposit Amount, RPA Section 126, 130
- [Elections] Voting rights of Defense personnel, Postal Ballot, Proxy Voting, Election Expenditure
- [Elections] Twin Nominations, Primaries Method of selecting candidates-why Rahul failed?
Judgement & Judiciary Related
- [Judiciary] Ex-CJI to Governor, Doctrine of Postponement, Lawyer database, Urdu 2nd Official
- [River Disputes] Polavaram Project Ordinance: Purpose, Benefits, Criticism Andhra Pradesh vs Telangana
- [Judgement] Mullaperiyar dam controversy, Why doesn’t Kerala want Tamilnadu to raise dam height?
- [Judgement] Pramati Judgement: Right to mother tounge vs Right to run English Medium Schools
- [Judgement] Code for Compulsory Costs- to teach lesson to frequent litigators
- [Judgement] Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG)’s right to audit private companies
- [Polity] Inter linking of Rivers in India : Benefits, Problems, China dispute etc.
Bills and Laws: Salient Features, Analysis, Criticism
- [Polity] Land Ordinance 2014 vs. Land Acquisition Act 2013: Salient Features, Comparison & Criticism
- [Bill Summary] Road Safety & Transport Bill 2014- salient features, provisions, penalties, graded point system
- [Laws] DESI liquor special edition Kerala, Mizoram & IPS Training, Tribal insurgency
- [Polity] Delegated legislation: meaning, advantages, criticism explained
- [Polity] Citizens’ Charter Bill 2011: Salient Features, Issues, Criticism explained
- [Polity] Juvenile Justice Act: features, Controversy post Delhi-Gangrape, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR)
- [Polity] DNA Profiling Bill: Features,Applications,Criticism
- [Polity] Chhattisgarh Food Security Bill 2012: Salient Features
- [Polity] Indian Olympic Association Suspension from IOC, National Sports Code: controversy, implications explained
- [Polity] Prohibition of Unfair Practices in Schools Bill 2012 and Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE): Features, functions
- [Polity] Rights of Persons with Mental illness and [Public Health] Mental Healthcare Bill: Features, Criticism
- [Polity] Indecent Representation of Women: IRWA Act amendment
- [Yearbook] DGCA and new Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Bill
- [Polity] Public Procurement Bill 2012: Meaning, Salient Features, explained
- [Women Rights] Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, Sukanya Samridhi, Acid Attact prevention, IUCAW units
- [Rights Issues] Beijing+20 Review Meeting, Gender Equality, India’s stand-Caste vs Social origin
- [Rights Issues] Legalizing Prostitution, Gender Gap Report, Widows of Vrindavan, Christian Women Property rights
- [GS3] Development vs Extremism: Xaxa Committee report, Tribal land alienation
- [Rights Issue] Supreme Court Guidelines on Fake Encounters and Undertrial prisoners
- [Women Rights] Nirbhaya Centres, Victim friendly Courts &IPC 376-E: Death Penalty for Rapists
- [Women Rights] Essay Fodder: Emma Watson on Gender equality, Views of new NCW Chief
- [Rights Issue] Plight of North Eastern People and Manual Scavangers in India: Bezbaruah Commission, Nido Tania murder & SC verdict
- [Rights issue] Transgender: reservation quota, property inheritance rights after Supreme Court Judgement
- [Rights issue] Education: Government schemes, organizations, SABLA, NPEGEL, Jalmani, Bal Shree, mock questions
- [Rights Issue] Jarawa Tribes, Human Safari, Buffer Area, Tribal Commission, 13th Schedule
- [Rights Issue] Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) 2011: Purpose, Benefits, Features, Deprivation index
- [Polity] Ragging: Raghwan Committee report
- [Polity] Surrogate Mothers: Meaning, Arguments in favor and against, legal framework in India
- [Federalism] Finance Commission: States demand for 50% share; Delimitation in Telangana & Andhra Pradesh
- [Bodies] Lokpal Selection Rules No. 10, Search Committee, Selection Committee, SC verdict
- [Bodies] Judicial Appointment Commission (JAC), Fixed Tenure for Chief Justice of India
- [Bodies] CBI needs no prior sanction and Prasar Bharati needs autonomy
- [Polity] Lobbying: Meaning, pro-anti arguments, Nira Radia, Gulam Nabi Fai, Wal-mart
Land Reforms for Mains GS1
Weighage in CSAT-2014: Paper-1 (Not part of Syllabus)
Weighage Mains-2013: GS-1
- [Land Reforms] Consolidation of Land Holdings, Computerization of Land Records in India- features, benefits, limitations
- [Land Reforms] Cooperative Farming in India: features, benefits, limitations
- [Land Reforms] Jan Satyagraha 2012, Janadesh 2007, Bhu-adhikar 1996: causes and outcomes
- [Land Reforms] Land Satyagraha & other Civil Society movements in India during 70s and 80s
- [Land Reforms] Bhoodan, Gramdan, Vinoba Bhave: Achievements, obstacles, limitations
- [Land Reforms] Overall Achievements, Impact on Indian society & Reasons for failure
- [Tenancy Reforms] Achievements and Limitations in India
- [Land Reforms] Tenancy Reform, Tenancy protection Acts in India: salient features
- [Land Ceiling] Phase 2: After 1972- under Indira Gandhi, Uttar Pradesh failure and Ignored Post-LPG
- [Land Ceiling] Phase 1: Since Independence to 1974 in India, Salient Features, Limitations, Failures
- [Land Ceiling] Meaning, Reasons, Pro and Anti Arguments
- [Land Reforms] Post Independence: Abolition of Zamindari, Reasons, Impact, Obstacles, Limitations, First Amendment
- [Land Reforms] Role of Indian Congress in Land reforms during the British Raj, Gandhi’s Views on Land Reforms, All India Kisan Sabha
- [Land Reforms] Peasant Revolts for Land reforms during British Raj
- [Land Reforms] British Land tenure System: features, Consequences of Permanent Settlement, Ryotwari, Mahalwari
Internal Security & Police reforms
- [Internal Security] Maoist Surrenders, 100 Days of Home ministry
- [Security] Plight of Paramilitary forces, Home Ministry Reforms, Chhattisgarh Maoist Attack 2014
- [Security] Need for Hijacking Policy, MH-370, Infrasound, Transponder
- [Polity] National Counter Terrorism Center (NCTC): Meaning, functions, Controversy
- [Polity] National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID): Meaning, Use, Controversy
- [Polity] Assam Riots and Bodo Accord : History, Reasons, Problems, Solutions
How to prepare Indian Polity & Constitution?
Weighage in CSAT-2014: Paper-1
Weighage Mains-2013: GS-2
- Polity means Indian Constitution and allied topics. You’ll encounter these MCQs in UPSC exams, Staff Selection and State service Class1, Class2, subordinate services, ACIO, EPFO and certain central PSU jobs.
- Polity can be classified into two parts: Static theory vs. Current Affairs
|Recommended book||Recommended book|
9/11 Polity MCQs in CSAT-2014 could be solved from this book alone! highly recommend for UPSC Prelims, Mains, CAPF, CDS; SSC T1, BPSC & other statePSCs
उसी अंग्रेजी किताब का हिंदी संस्करण. भारतीय राज्यव्यवस्था एवम संविधान का त्वरित रिवीजन. UPSC-प्रारंभिक एवं मुख्य परीक्षा, CAPF, CDS, SSC-Tier1, BPSC, एवं राज्य सेवाओ के लिए
Lucent’s| General Knowledge
Ready revision tables for History, Geography, Science, Polity, Economy, Sports & Computers. Useful for SSC Tier1, ACIO, BPSC & State services
ल्युसंट| सामान्य ज्ञान
उसी अंग्रेजी किताब का हिंदी संस्करण. इतिहास, भूगोल, राज्यव्यवस्था, विज्ञानं, खेल व् कम्प्यूटर SSC-Tier1, ACIO, BPSC एवं राज्य सेवाओ के लिए उपयुक्त. मनोरमा इयरबुक से बेहतर.
PS: Polity Topic hardly comes in IBPS, Banking sector exams so don’t bother much in that case.
To get strong grip over Indian Constitution, you must do Parallel study: e.g. once you read Parliament, immediately read state legislative assembly chapter. Similarly
|union related||then immediately read state related|
This type of reading / revision habit ensures UPSC cannot confuse you in tricky MCQs by interchanging state’s provisions with union provision and vice versa.
- FR, FD, DPSP. Provisions applicable to Aliens, NRIs, PIOs
- Amendment, 5th & 6th schedule areas, 370
- Finance commission => Planning Commission =>NDC
- Bodies: Statutory vs Constitutional vs executive: their structure, functions. You’ll find some in the India Yearbook (eg. NALSA, Wakf board), some in prsindia.org (Equal opportunities commission, unified financial agency) and so on.
- Since these bodies will also hurt @Mains level, you should prepare a ready revision note.
Additional static content:
(only for UPSC CSAT IAS / IPS exam)
- NCERT political science- particularly for definition and concepts. what are the characters of democracy or hegemony? Mine or yours interpretation 7is irreverent in MCQ, whatever definition statements are given in NCERT = they’re correct for UPSC.
- Selective reading Parliament Handbook click me. for some tricky MCQs related to speaker/dy.speaker, motions, Committees etc.
- India Yearbook Chapter 2 and 3. (Although ministries and departments will change once Modi takes over. but other static like parliamentary Committees, NALSA etc. will remain one and same.)
- Since this was an election year, most magazines and coaching material will be focusing on election related current affairs. It is standard procedure, should be done.
- But don’t waste time mugging up trivial GK like which Constituency pulled highest vote etc. otherwise remaining three months will be spent only covering election.
- Focus: facts, features, principles. e.g. VVPAT, why Voting totalizer machine needed, how does voters ink work, what are the deposits, when is deposit attached and so on.
- Similarly, Hindu is giving ball by ball commentary on separation of Andhra – this Committee visited, that organization proposed xyz = again core facts/ features only.
- Bills, Act: PRSindia.org
- recent judgments like Transgender rights etc under Mrunal.org/Polity
Answerkeys with Explaination for Indian Polity
- UPSC Prelims CSAT 2014 Polity Section
- CDS I 2014 Polity Section
- CDS II 2013 Polity section
- CAPF-2013: Polity related MCQs solved with explanation
- CAPF 2012 Polity section
- CSAT 2013 (IAS Prelims) Polity Section
- CSAT 2012 (IAS Prelims) Polity questions only
- 100 Mock MCQ Questions from the Static portion, Constitution of India